Author Topic: AUK membership renewal  (Read 15714 times)

Re: AUK membership renewal
« Reply #25 on: 11 November, 2016, 05:36:55 pm »
We could all be Audaxers, just for one day
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #26 on: 11 November, 2016, 06:53:22 pm »
When I signed up for five years in March '13, I assumed it would expire in Feb '18. After a few months, when I realised I was on RRtY, I decided to target at least a 200 a month for my 60 months membership. Now I well and truly have the Audax bug, I will probably renew for another five years at the end of next year, if only to get that 5xRRtY badge. On a scale of 1-10, how sad is that?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 14 November, 2016, 12:26:03 am »
One side of Arrivée address sheet gives detailed membership renewal instructions.
Other side: [****] Membership valid for 2017 - no subscription fee payable!

Suggest people check both sides of address sheet before looking online...

« Reply #28 on: 17 November, 2016, 12:12:38 pm »
One side of Arrivée address sheet gives detailed membership renewal instructions.
Other side: [****] Membership valid for 2017 - no subscription fee payable!

Suggest people check both sides of address sheet before looking online...

Yes, that message line is "personalised" but the instructions on the back are common for all.  I've also personalised the email reminders depending on whether you are a Life Member or not, and have Household Members.  Sending out paper mail-merged reminders with Arrivee has worked less than perfectly in previous years, but MailChimp allows me to contact the 85% of Members with an email address (provided the email address is correct, current, and monitored).

hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: 17 November, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
It's in the regs, Andy.

4.1.3 Life members:
 (a) any member over 65 years of age on 1 January who has been a member continuously for the previous 10 years may remain a member without subscription.

« Reply #30 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:23:06 pm »
I've added something about Life Membership in the Membership FAQs, as well as doing some minor updates (membership was 400 when the FAQs were written, we're at 7000 now).

I'll put some links in when I've worked out how to do so.

« Reply #31 on: 18 November, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »
What better way to continue exhibiting social AUKwardness?

*strum*

I think I saw you in an garage forecourt
 drinking milk shakes cold and long
 Smiling and waving and looking so fine
 don't think you knew you were in this song

And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an audaxer
 And I thought of home and I wanted to get back there
 Our pace, don't race, the way that we talk
 I passed you, on a hill, I thought you might walk

We've got five years, sent in by paypal
 We've got five years, I must be so mental
 We've got five years, my butt hurts a lot
 We've got five years, that's what we've got

(with thanks to David Jones)

Great Billy

« Reply #32 on: 18 November, 2016, 02:48:03 pm »
I've added something about Life Membership in the Membership FAQs, as well as doing some minor updates (membership was 400 when the FAQs were written, we're at 7000 now).

I'll put some links in when I've worked out how to do so.

Shout if you need help with that.
BTW, I spotted one outdted reference in there, about setting up SO.  Mentions 4 digit memnos !

« Reply #34 on: 18 November, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »
When I was looking on the website for details of Life Membership I didn't see your Membership FAQ and didn't realise they existed

To be honest I had completely forgotten we had Membership FAQs, hence them being several years out of date.  The must have been written by the previous MemSec, but I'll have a good look through them now I've found them.  I'm sure we can have a link from the joining page, and as we have non-cycling weather this weekend I'll be able to have a go at that tomorrow.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #35 on: 31 December, 2016, 02:46:08 am »
Renewal was very easy. It would have been done a lot sooner, but the reminder was sent to a defunct mail address and not the one registered on aukweb.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #36 on: 31 December, 2016, 02:37:15 pm »
Renewal was very easy. It would have been done a lot sooner, but the reminder was sent to a defunct mail address and not the one registered on aukweb.

but that doesn't make sense - I only sent the reminder emails to the address you list at aukweb.net > Members > MyDetails, which I downloaded 21/10/2016.  Of course if you updated your email address after then, that would have been unfortunate.  I'll make a note for next year to monitor any email updates around this period.

« Reply #37 on: 31 December, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »
I am impressed with how easy the membership renewal is. :thumbsup:

PS. Defrocking of defaulters starts in 8 hours  ;D

« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »
Your Audax UK Membership could be about to expire!  As I write this, there is just over 2 hours before the end of 2017.

However, it's not quite the end of the world; you can still renew your membership at www.aukweb.net/renewals in early January and we'll say no more about it.  You must do it before you ride another Audax event (Calendar or Perm) of course, otherwise you will be due to pay the extra £2 non-member supplement.

How to tell if your membership is about to expire or (if you are reading this in January) has already expired?  Simple:  go to www.aukweb.net > Members > MyDetails and you will see the "valid until" message which should give you a big clue.

Need a reminder about your MemNo and Password?  Drop me a PM - but I may be out partying so don't expect an instant response.  I'll need your name and postal address, as I will almost certainly fail to recognise your YACF name.

Happy New Year!

Oh, I'm the (current) Membership Secretary, if you hadn't gathered.

« Reply #39 on: 01 January, 2018, 11:44:51 pm »
we're at 7000 now

Delph,

Can you tell how many of the 7,000 members have ridden at least one of the following: BP, BR, BRM, Perms, DIY's ECE's, imaginary rides (I was sitting on my couch thinking of riding, does that count?) in 2017?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:03:38 am »
we're at 7000 now

Delph,

Can you tell how many of the 7,000 members have ridden at least one of the following: BP, BR, BRM, Perms, DIY's ECE's, imaginary rides (I was sitting on my couch thinking of riding, does that count?) in 2017?
Perhaps come out from under your bridge and explain why this is important or useful information.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #41 on: 02 January, 2018, 08:38:34 am »
Can you tell how many of the 7,000 members have ridden at least one of the following: BP, BR, BRM, Perms, DIY's ECE's, ...  in 2017?

Yes.  Hmm.  But not easily.  I would have to consolidate all the MemNos on the Points Table, the Brevet 250 table, the Randonneur 500 table etc.  The hardest part of that job would be starting it. 

... imaginary rides (I was sitting on my couch thinking of riding, does that count?) in 2017?

No.  But I could imagine that it was pretty much all of them.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #42 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:03:14 am »
Your Audax UK Membership could be about to expire!  As I write this, there is just over 2 hours before the end of 2017.

Also, now is the best time to alter your 'ACP club choice' if that sort of thing interests you, because later in the season that choice becomes locked and you can't change it.  Find it in your 'My Details' page, near the top.

Basically, if you don't understand what this is, you can safely ignore it - but ACP attaches a single club to each rider they know about, in their records, and they don't expect this to change mid-season. 

At this time (at the start of their season) you can choose between your designated club, or your designated CTC CUK club, or AUK itself, to be the club that ACP associates.  Not all clubs have an 'ACP number' and you'll need to make a choice that does result in a number.  For example AUK has a number obviously, and so does yacf and so do most of the popular club choices.  The first time you ride (finish) a BRM, this club gets passed on to ACP for their records, and the choice becomes locked for the rest of the year.

If you do nothing, the first time you ride (finish) a BRM, AUK's software makes an intelligent choice between these three options and passes the resultant club on to ACP for their records, and that choice becomes locked for the rest of the year. 
Either way, until you ride a BRM, the choice remains unlocked.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #43 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:22:18 am »

There were 7846 Audax members at 31 December 2017.

As of 30th September 2017:

there are 2211 riders (28%) listed at http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/points/ with 2 or more points

there are 2069 riders (26%) who have completed at least one AAA event, a Brevet 250, Brevet 500, Brevet 1000.  I can't easily determine how many have ridden just one Brevet Populaire without AAA points.

« Reply #44 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:29:56 am »
The figures ignore many members who don't ride (much) but as organisers and helpers make events happen.

« Reply #45 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:10:15 pm »
there are 2211 riders (28%) listed at http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/points/ with 2 or more points

there are 2069 riders (26%) who have completed at least one AAA event, a Brevet 250, Brevet 500, Brevet 1000.  I can't easily determine how many have ridden just one Brevet Populaire without AAA points.

The unique combination of those lists is 2,635 members.

AFAICT, you'd have to scrape the event pages for at least all of the BPs (and perms) to get the remaining active members, and I can't be arsed.

« Reply #46 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:15:34 pm »
AFAICT, you'd have to scrape the event pages for at least all of the BPs (and perms) to get the remaining active members, and I can't be arsed.

And the last bit of that response is so correct.  IMO the membership team do a fantastic job and can do without such whimsical requests without any reason being given other than what appears to be idle curiosity.

Wait for the FOI request when you can say ...............!

« Reply #47 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:06:17 pm »
I thought it a reasonably interesting question.  It's unfortunate that we don't have this figure readily to hand but I'm hoping that our new website will make this available automatically.

But don't let this little diversion distract you from the business of renewing your Membership!

« Reply #48 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:58:07 pm »
Of interest, RUSA has about 3,500 current members - down from 8,000 in 2011 - and is declining about 7 - 10% a year. Of the current members, half of them did not ride a single randonnee in the year and the concern is that many will not renew for another year.

As a comparison, the numbers you quote for AUK seem to suggest that out of the nearly 8,000 members - and climbing - less than a third actually ride a randonnee, yet that does not appear to reflect a decrease in membership but rather the reverse. It would be an interesting study to determine why so many AUK members join the organisation but do not ride brevets, etc.

In America, the choices to ride are mostly brevets and permanents and not the variety such as DIY's ECE's etc. Maybe adding these to the calendar would help stem the decline in RUSA, however, the more interesting question is the apparent and significant disparity between the numbers of members versus numbers of riders in AUK.

« Reply #49 on: 02 January, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »
In France, ACP doesn't have a large country-wide membership.  Randonneurs ride for their local clubs, which organise their own SR series—mostly only in PBP years.