Author Topic: Mike Hall RIP  (Read 9661 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Mike Hall RIP
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:39 am »
There are many reports saying that Mike died in a crash on the Monaro Highway during the closing stages of the IPWR south of Canberra.

RIP Mike

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4568507/indian-pacific-wheel-race-cancelled-due-to-death-of-cyclist-mike-hall/
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Re: Mike Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:57:04 am »
Terrible, awful news.

RIP Mike.

IPWR cancelled.

Re: Mike Hall RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
A real shock. Horrible.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:08:19 am »
The race organisers have confirmed that he had died. They have cancelled the race. Terrible news!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
Absolutely devastating news.  Mike's in my thoughts :-[
DJR is my 27 year old bike, custom built by Dave Russell & heavily refurbished in 2009. Also, a carbon Beone parts bin special built in 2011 and no longer have Brompton after its road rage demise!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:23 am »
A legend who inspired many people to push beyond themselves and achieve new personal records, myself included.  Our thoughts go out to his family and close friends who have lost a loved one.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:52 am »
A legend who inspired many people to push beyond themselves and achieve new personal records, myself included.  Our thoughts go out to his family and close friends who have lost a loved one.

I was just reading about Mike and vistaed's bonkers BCM route choices - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92759.200

RIP.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:03 am »
A friend and I were tracking Mike's progress during this race and we're shocked and deeply saddened to hear this news. I notice there's a JustGiving page to help support his partner at this difficult time if anyone feels inclined to contribute. 

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:21:59 am »
Terrible. RIP.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
Such shocking and sad news  :( :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

bhoot

• Mrs RRtY
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:47 am »
I met Mike at the AUK reunion in November, and rode a short distance with him chatting about usual cyclist stuff like tyre choice, such a friendly unassuming guy. Then we watched the video from the Trans Am - and were inspired enough to buy it and watch it again.
I'm really gutted to hear this sad news.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 09:27:49 am »

So true.

Only ever met him once when he was giving a talk on his exploits after which I had a conversation about his kit etc.  Very approachable and thoroughly nice guy.  Very sad news.

I notice there's a JustGiving page to help support his partner at this difficult time if anyone feels inclined to contribute. 

Very worthwhile and worthy of support.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:00 am »
I just saw this news on the BBC. Sent a chill down my spine. Such a tragedy. RIP Mike, what you did was truly amazing.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:52:08 am »
Very sad news.
RIP and my deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
Just saw this on the BBC. A big shock and very sad news. I've never met him but an inspiration nevertheless.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:21:19 am »
This is very shocking news

I followed Mike on Twitter for years and met him and talked on the Brevet Cymru one time

He wasn't a close friend or anything but he was approachable, remarkable and, for such an extraordinary man, very ordinary
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:33 am »
Hell not another one.
RIP Mike, you were and still are an inspiration.
My condolences to everyone coming to terms with a big hole in their world today.
2018 targets: Survive

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:51:39 am »
Terrible news. I've been 'dot watching' the IPWR all week and even watched Inspired to Ride last night - didn't expect to wake up to this.

RIP Mike.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
No words.  :(   
He was a very familiar face on the audaxes around these South Wales parts.
Look out here I come!

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Dreadful and sad news and my condolences to all his family. I met Mike once on BCM 2016 at Kings Dolgellau and he was a lovely and modest man to talk to. A terrible loss of an inspiring rider
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
Absolutely gutted to have lost him. Even more poignant is that it's nearly a year since we lost Richard, so once again I'll be starting my event this weekend with sadness and a heavy heart.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:30 am »
The long distance community has lost a real legend. RIP Mike Hall.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Ride ride ride
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 11:41:15 am »
Shared the road with him twice. BC and BCM, he was a real gent and was always willing to share a joke and experiences of being on the road. He was riding a bike with camping equipment and still dropped me on a climb.

BB
SRx11 - in 11 years

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 11:47:03 am »
I never met Mike, but his adventurous spirit inspired many people.

RIP, another tragic loss to cycling.