Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 120144 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #850 on: 04 December, 2023, 07:35:24 pm »
Deferred ECEs from yesterday will be fine for next Saturday  :)

:thumbsup: Thanks! Two of last Saturday's famous five were on ECEs. Rather them than me - though I did manage to clock up 52 miles riding to/from Witham, plus the trip down to Maldon's Mighty Oak brewery.

« Reply #851 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:16:22 am »
Just an FYI for anyone planning on stopping at Tremhall Park.

Gavin and I spent and a lovely (read as warm) few hours there last Saturday, however the owner is very precious about her floor so please could people give there feet a good wipe on the way in.
She did also suggest that if too many people all turn up at the same time she wouldn't be able to do hot food, only drinks / cake / rolls / sandwich's.

See you Saturday

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #852 on: 06 December, 2023, 12:19:29 pm »
Looking at the forecast for the re-run of SAE on Saturday, conditions look tropical compared to last weekend

« Reply #853 on: 06 December, 2023, 12:21:45 pm »
 ;D Tropical rain

« Reply #854 on: 08 December, 2023, 10:55:47 am »
Oh well, may be a little bit of warm rain in the morning, but it brightens up in the afternoon. I'd take that over conditions last Saturday.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #855 on: 08 December, 2023, 11:32:52 am »
None of this is really helping my current general malaise.   I'm sure my motivation will return at some point.

« Reply #856 on: 08 December, 2023, 11:38:21 am »
Oh well, may be a little bit of warm rain in the morning, but it brightens up in the afternoon. I'd take that over conditions last Saturday.

And 40mph wind in the afternoon, guaranteed no freezing fog. At least ungritted road were dry last weekend.

« Reply #857 on: 08 December, 2023, 11:49:11 am »

And 40mph wind in the afternoon, guaranteed no freezing fog. At least ungritted road were dry last weekend.

But the wind is a westerly in the afternoon, so another bonus to get us all back to Witham in good time!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #858 on: 08 December, 2023, 12:09:50 pm »

But the wind is a westerly in the afternoon, so another bonus to get us all back to Witham in good time!
Southerly in the morning turning SW for arrival at Thremhall and then pushed back with a cross/tail wind from Thaxted. Looks set fare for a rapid SAE time, even more Express than just the name!
(Don't envy any ECEs returning West though  :facepalm: )
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #859 on: 08 December, 2023, 12:26:43 pm »

Plenty of the SAE ungritted roads were wet and icy last Sat. Mostly first half and some in the last 15km or so.

« Reply #860 on: 08 December, 2023, 12:28:05 pm »
(Don't envy any ECEs returning West though  :facepalm: )

Tropical wind though, it'll be fine!

« Reply #861 on: 08 December, 2023, 06:28:27 pm »
I will ride, I will Ride....my whole thing this year is conditions will not stop me getting out....a lot of time spent in a warm gym is testing this mindset tonight....I WILL see you all in the morning, I shall be on fixed at a very fixed friendly pace...I will save myself for the tailwind promised above  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #862 on: 08 December, 2023, 10:59:07 pm »
bah humbug, pesky nephew's wedding
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #863 on: 08 December, 2023, 11:06:12 pm »
Hmmmm.  I don’t think I can do the 9th without some serious grovelling….

I don’t think sufficient grovelling has been done.  Looks like I am still down for taxi duties tomorrow.

Edit: And having opened the curtains this morning to find ver large puddles on the gravel drive and it bucketing it down, I am actually glad I am on taxi duty.  Chapeau to those have the impetus to ride in this weather.

« Reply #864 on: 09 December, 2023, 08:05:29 am »
I will ride, I will Ride....my whole thing this year is conditions will not stop me getting out....a lot of time spent in a warm gym is testing this mindset tonight....I WILL see you all in the morning, I shall be on fixed at a very fixed friendly pace...I will save myself for the tailwind promised above  ;D
OK, so as much as I said it....I have to face the fact that I'm not quite ready to be dealing with Type II fun from the off....I did get ready and I did get out the door...and roughly a whole 2km down the road before I became aware that my mental strength for riding in tougher conditions needs some work ;-)

Have fund to those who ride, and I hope me deciding to stay in means the rain stops and the sun comes out sooner!

« Reply #865 on: 09 December, 2023, 08:50:18 am »
I'm out too. My mojo just isn't strong enough to get me out in this shite....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ElyDave

« Reply #866 on: 09 December, 2023, 09:36:51 am »
whilst doing the weekly shop and thinking I needed my swimming trunks and flippers, I was thinking whether I'd be going out in this?  3R's was pacified by a dry second half, but I'm not so sure today?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #867 on: 09 December, 2023, 11:16:41 am »
It's stopped raining in London now, making me wish I had entered ( but maybe it's still wetter up in Essex). Anyway I am sorting the direct debit membership renewals today...

felstedrider

« Reply #868 on: 09 December, 2023, 12:38:04 pm »
Just an FYI for anyone planning on stopping at Tremhall Park.

Gavin and I spent and a lovely (read as warm) few hours there last Saturday, however the owner is very precious about her floor so please could people give there feet a good wipe on the way in.
She did also suggest that if too many people all turn up at the same time she wouldn't be able to do hot food, only drinks / cake / rolls / sandwich's.

See you Saturday

Owen

How much anti-cyclist vitriol would you like with your breakfast, sir ?  I can do you 15 mins but if you have an extra coffee I can make it 30.

« Reply #869 on: 09 December, 2023, 07:31:53 pm »
It's stopped raining in London now, making me wish I had entered ( but maybe it's still wetter up in Essex). Anyway I am sorting the direct debit membership renewals today...

It had stopped around 11:15 in Essex too. Whilst it was raining, it varied in intensity from light to medium rain, nothing too heavy. But even though I had wet feet, head and hands, it was warm enough not to be a problem.

As for Tippers, he was only saying yesterday how all this gym work is making him effectively into a fair weather cyclist …

« Reply #870 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:00:19 am »
Tippers has become an indoor cyclist  :hand:

I think he just convinced himself that he wouldn’t enjoy it. Rather than get to start to enjoy a second breakfast with all the other enthused nutters. Then rediscover what it was that he enjoyed about audax. The weather really wasn’t as bad as forecast, the right clothing will keep you comfortable, and indeed some brief sun around lunchtime.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #871 on: 10 December, 2023, 04:06:37 pm »
21 starters, all finished. Nobody was hanging about enjoying themselves too much though!

The roads seemed exceptionally busy with Christmas shoppers - the only time I remember the SAE this busy was a covid edition, either just before a lockdown, or just after as everyone went a bit crazy. (I just went up to the Wilkins Jam factory for a bit of shopping myself. By bike of course.)

I have a cunning plan to run the route reversed next year, just for a change. I'll get onto that once I've dealt with the results data this evening.

« Reply #872 on: 10 December, 2023, 05:08:44 pm »
On the famous five edition it did seem as though the roads were much drier / less ice on the second half.  Hence reversed may be a better choice during cold editions. You won’t of course know in advance if they will be cold.

« Reply #873 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:04:15 pm »
Short story: ECEd from Cambridge and that was... damp. First time I've worn waterproof trousers on an audax! Glad I did.  ;D  Thanks ACME team for another lovely day out!

Longer story:
No photos today: rain instead...
Full waterproofs on leaving at 6am. The rain didn't really start until I got to Walden.
Much new technology for me today. Impending death of phone has caused me to get a new phone; new phone not having an ordinary headphone jack caused my husband to get me new Bluetooth bone-conducting headphones [old ones up for grabs if anyone wants to try them]; my old music player doesn't do bluetooth, causing me to rely on Spotify and BBC Sounds today. First up is a terrific podcast featuring Emily Chappell: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3hECPK9fPJibLL3sr0RoZf
When she talks about doing audax it is as though she is speaking directly to me. Swoon.
Rain picks up just before Braintree. I really don't like Braintree but am pleased to see it on this occasion. They Might Be Giants on to perk me up. I arrive in Witham just in time to wave to the 9.30am depart. Into the pub; cup of tea and a quick sit-down before leaving at 10am. Already soaked through, and the prospect of more rain for another hour; I stay togged up.
Not long after leaving, I am caught by James. James is relatively new to audax, but is clearly taking to it like a duck to water (literally today) and I'm sure he'll be fine for his first SR next year. One of the audaxes he has done is the Richard Ellis; I've never been tempted, as I couldn't bear to cycle down to Dunmow then back up to Grantchester. Plus the queue at The Orchards is always so long. I tell James that my husband and I got married at The Orchards. "Oh!" he exclaims. "Me and my wife used to call in there quite often, and we always said what a nice place it would be to get married!". In our case, it rained cats and dogs and we were outside for an hour or two before it was too cold. In August. Ho hum. James and I have children the same age, and spend some time swapping notes. He mentions that there is a ford near Hatfield Forest that is mentioned on the routesheet. What, I don't remember that! He is glad to ride together when we get to the first info control: thanks to a conversation at the start, I already knew that the answer was (still) missing. So there's no point stopping. A great advantage of ye olde paper brevets over e-brevets on these shorter audaxes; no need to stop and fumble with a phone in the rain, especially when you already know the answer.
It is lovely to chat but I already had 40 miles in my legs before the start and am tired from the rain, so it isn't long before I drop off on a slight incline.
On the A1060, the route has us do a left-then-right jig. All clear on approach, I turn onto the road. As I indicate right, I can hear a lorry coming up behind me, too fast to slow down for me. Very very much too fast. There's no choice: the lorry driver has me riding on the white lines in the centre of the road, and squeezes through on my left, with cars going the opposite way on my right. I turn right and stop to gather myself. What do these people think? Awful.
Near Hatfield Broad Oak, I stick on the B road rather than go past Hatfield Forest and potentially impassable ford. Saves a bit of time but means longer on the old A120, sad. It's such a horrible road. With all the concrete traffic islands, there's no choice but to take the lane - if you don't, then obesotron SUV drivers push their way through. But if you do take the lane, you have to put up with honking and incomprehensible shouts. One lowers his window to shout "Ar!" at me. Bit late for talk-like-a-pirate day, surely? No idea.
At the cafe, the sun is shining! Yay, I'll be able to take off stupid swishy waterproof trousers - which are now covered in chain lube, and have been basting my bottles for the last 40 miles. Inside, I sit down with James, and then spy Lottie! Owen is stamping cards. Owen brings up the subject of squares, ahhh... I go all doe-eyed until Owen asks about the Epping Upland square. Everyone else laughs at the solution: just hop over the PRIVATE NO ENTRY gate on the corner opposite some houses, down the concrete track for 100 metres to the sewage treatment plant - no problemo, you're in and out inside five minutes.
I set off at the same time as Phil. We don't think we've met before, but must have done the same audaxes. His Garmin is playing up, so I lead while it has a little think. Our kids are similar ages, so another lovely chat about kids and families and the trials and tribulations of a house of teenagers.
No need to stop in Thaxted; the info control answer is easily visible and we are both doing paper brevets. We pick up James: his navigation is on the blink too, so we ride together all the way to Witham. I am very glad to be in a group; the shelter from the wind is nice, but I'm mainly glad of being with other audaxers at the point where I'm closest to home. I am no good on the front and don't even offer, but am useful in Great Notley where I'm a bit more sure of navigation and can even remember the little bit of cycle path worth using to bypass a big roundabout.
We pass Lottie on her Brompton. Hellooo! The roads have been fairly wet, but not too bad. Near Fairstead, I regret taking off the waterproof trousers, as we have to ride through about 200m of flooded road. Aaaargh! It's a lovely lane, but next time there's been this much rain I'll divert to the Notleys instead. I think about Lottie on her little wheels, and hope that she's okay. It is a glorious evening though, and we all enjoy the sunset.
Witham, yay! I stop to get some money out to buy an ACME buff - just the thing, as my soggy AUK buff is making my chin sore. Small dinner, tea and chat with ACME people. Phone on charge: it hasn't coped very well with being a music player all day. Lottie pulls in, and receives the 2023 ACME Lanterne Rouge award. I set off again about 5pm.
Getting home is a bit of a drag; tired and into a strong gusty wind. I stop every half hour to change track. The BBC Sounds series I am listening to is excellent though, and really spurs me on - it's about witches, both the wicca-type stuff (which doesn't hugely interest me) but also the witch-hunts and theories about why they happened. Did you know King James - he of Bible-translating fame - blamed a storm on witches and wrote a book about demons which stirred up witch-hunt enthusiasm? There are interesting sections tying up enclosures (another thing which makes me angry, as it resonates today and makes our lives as cycle campaigners blooming hard) with witch-hunts; there's pieces about women decried as witches because they were midwives who carried out abortions, and the church didn't like that. North Essex villages are treated to strings of expletives. Serve them and their Matthew Hopkins right, hah.
I get home at 9pm. 230km in December wind and water in 15 hours, happy with that!
This marks the end of RRTYx5 and, once validated, can send off for my NEW BADGE! Whoop yeah. :-D

ElyDave

« Reply #874 on: 11 December, 2023, 11:37:47 am »
Great impression of a wet winter ride.

I managed to get our yesterday in the dry, returning home like a drowned rat in a deluge.  Jacket hung up over a washing up bowl to avoid drippage onto the floor.  New Lake boots kept the feet toasty warm, though not entirely dry as I had my legs tucked inside rather than over the top.