Author Topic: Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches - 200km from Tewkesbury, December 2nd 2017  (Read 5034 times)

Field already well subscribed, and entey will probably close early.

Kill two birdswith one stone - keep both your RTTY and ATTY awards going with one ride 

The ride's name is derived from places and landmarks it passes through. The 'Kings' refers to Kington, which in turn is derived from the town's old name of 'Kingstown'. the priests in a similar way refers to Presteigne - or Prieststown as it was once known. You will stop right outside a castle in Ludlow, and finally there will be countless churches passed during the day. Possibly the most striking being at Hoarwithy, an amazing site. Another church being the Abbey at Tewkesbury, which is an spectacular building. It survived the ravages of King Henry the eighth's reformations - in 1539 the town's folk of Tewkesbury paid the king £453 to retain their "Parish Church". The £453 was the value of the lead on the roof and the bells in the tower. The abbey features the largest Norman tower in the land.

The route (as with most BlackSheep CC events) follows minor roads, lanes, B-roads and a few unavoidable A-road sections. And generally in that order of preference.

The ride heads west then north from Tewkesbury through Ledbury and on to Bromyard for breakfast. Then to Ludlow via Tenbury Wells. Presteigne is the next town passed through before stopping at Kington. The late afternoon stop is at the A465 Lock garageservices shop at Winnal. The final leg is a west - east bee line back to Tewkesbury crossing both the Wye Valley and then the Severn vale back to Tewkesbury.

There's enough climbing on this event to qualify for 1.75 AAA points, none of the climbs are particularly steep, but a few of them do go-on for a while.

The controls are all fairly evenly spaced, there will be places to stop in between controls should you so wish. The control at Bromyard has gained experience of AUK events over the past couple of years - they have a stamp to give proof of passage, and the Ludlow control has handled many AUK events in the past, and are aware of your needs, the cafe can be a bit busy at times. If you don't wish to stop at the cafe - the town library/museum/TIC have a stamp, they're on the left about 50 metres before the castle lodge buttery. The control at Kington "The Chocolate Box" , they're at the far end of the high Street on the left - they also have a stamp. is The Border Bean cafe, 22 -24 High Street. They're on the right at the far end of the high street. The final on the road control is Lock's garage services - Winnal,  which is a regular supporter of cyclists on the LEJOG or JOGLE routes.

The controls are aware of - and are looking forward to your visit, so please support them by buying something, because without their support - events would not happen.

At this time of year, the temperature a likely to be quite low - so please do not compromise yourself by not eating. The controls are fairly evenly spaced - and on some stages you're unlikely to find establishments to buy snacks between controls. This ride probably requires cyclists to snack at the controls, rather than eat huge amounts at the first - and then bounce every control aftrwards. Cyclists have tried this, and afterwards commented that they made a mistake in adopting this option. You have been made aware.

All car parks owned by TBC have recently reduced all day charges, further details available here http://tewkesbury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1801.

The ride departs from The Royal Hop Pole at 07.30, free breakfast for all cyclists starting the ride.

We're now in GMT, you will probably need lights for the first half hour (or so) of the ride, and again for the latter part of the day.

As for B&Bs in the area, it is probably best that you use Google to search for your requirements, Or try Tewkesbury Tourist information centrehttp://www.outofthehat.org.uk/,

There's both Premier Inn  www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/TEWBRE/tewkesburyand Travelodge www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/401/Tewkesbury-hotelboth about a mile from the start, (both on M5J9),

The JD Wetherspoon (also the arrivee) in the centre of Tewkesbury is also a hotel www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-royal-hop-pole

For the campers, there's a camp site 10 - 15 minutes from the start, quite a few cyclists have used it in the past - and have rated quite highly.www.croftfarmleisure.co.uk/ Please be aware that we're well into the winter season, so although they will be open, the site may look a little derelict.

Good weather has once again been ordered for the day, hopefully this will enable us all to take-in the marvelous views throughout the day,

Basic ride details the event page at  www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-395/  Route sheet and gps files will be forwarded to all entrants, if you still have last year's details - they will still be valid as the files are the same as 2014 - and have 2014 date reference, but please don't panic - the route is the same as last year's.

Please note these has been generated with maximum definition for profiling purposes. And as such probably has too many track points for most GPS units, it is a relatively simple task to reduce this to a number suitable for your unit. First of all, save the file attached to your hard drive. You then need to go to the Bikehike website (other sites may also offer this service). And once on the create route page, upload the file. Once uploaded, click on the options box, and enter the number of points you wish to reduce to. Then click reduce, you can then down load this file to your hard drive and then to your GPS, I don't think it's possible to download direct to your GPS from the web site with some of the older GPS units - as for the modern units, I can't comment.

The bikehike site also has features  which enables :- Simultaneous course creation on Google and Ordnance Survey maps. Upload and download of routes to and from GPS units (GPX, TCX, KML and TRL formats). Upload & download directly to a Garmin GPS unit using the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Interactive elevation profile - hover or click on the elevation graph to see corresponding route point. Toggle between elevation and gradient view on elevation graph. UK postcode and place name search. Auto routing on the Google map. Add coursepoints to aid navigation. Add points of interest to add information to routes. Distance and elevation data continuously calculated for your route. Course editing facilities - including Google style route dragging. Printable courses on both Google and OS maps
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Hopefully I won't have septicemic plague, dislocated head or fatal congenital warts for this event.  Given that over recent weeks every other form of affliction has happened audax riding, I would not be surprised by yet another condition.

Putting that aside, it is a great albeit lumpy route.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

After my DNS at the Cymraeg Cyrch I'm looking forward to this even more than when I entered it.  Rode last year's event and it's one of my favourite 200 routes.  Quite lumpy, though.

I really enjoyed this ride last year in pleasant company and mild December conditions.
Mark suggests " the Ludlow control . . .  the cafe can be a bit busy at times. If you don't wish to stop at the cafe - the town library/museum/TIC have a stamp, they're on the left about 50 metres before the castle lodge buttery."
Last year in Ludlow I did try the alternate option first, but the TIC/museum (upstairs) denied all knowledge.

Looking forward to it

I really enjoyed this ride last year in pleasant company and mild December conditions.
Mark suggests " the Ludlow control . . .  the cafe can be a bit busy at times. If you don't wish to stop at the cafe - the town library/museum/TIC have a stamp, they're on the left about 50 metres before the castle lodge buttery."
Last year in Ludlow I did try the alternate option first, but the TIC/museum (upstairs) denied all knowledge.

A common problem I'm afraid. It was one of their staff (TIC) that actually suggested using it. The issue has come about when the two facilities combined their location and not really knowing what the other sometimes does/offers.

Amazingly last week end the first control came-up trumps and had their stamp ready for cyclists - the first time in at least threes years of promising it would be available. Absolute result - well done guys/dolls.

The problem with Ludlow is its popularity at week ends. There are plenty of places on the top drag to get proof of passage. So it will probably be a free control, should help everyone concerned. There are lots of commercial eateries between the Castle and "The Cross".
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Sounds a great route, and one Black Sheep ride that we've not done, yet. Unfortunately my significant other (we were your last finishers on the November ride, so you know who we are!) has invited her family for the weekend and then arranged to be away with work so I'm hosting (aargh). See you in 2018 Mark. Hope it all goes well in December.

I'm entered, and thanks to Mark for the e-mail.
Kington control:
"The control at Kington "The Chocolate Box" , they're at the far end of the high Street on the left - they also have a stamp."
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Chocolate+Box/@52.203242,-3.0303531,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf275a778c4fd2840!8m2!3d52.2032475!4d-3.0305171
This suggests it's permanently closed and the Google Streetview does not contradict that.

I'm entered, and thanks to Mark for the e-mail.
Kington control:
"The control at Kington "The Chocolate Box" , they're at the far end of the high Street on the left - they also have a stamp."
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Chocolate+Box/@52.203242,-3.0303531,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf275a778c4fd2840!8m2!3d52.2032475!4d-3.0305171
This suggests it's permanently closed and the Google Streetview does not contradict that.

Sorry about that, we've used the cafe oposite for the last coue of visits. I think its the Border Bean cafe. I was in thete a month or so back. Route sheets have been amended. It's easy to find - next to the only 24/7 ATM in the town.

BlackSheep: "Sorry about that, we've used the cafe oposite for the last coue of visits. I think its the Border Bean cafe. I was in thete a month or so back. Route sheets have been amended. It's easy to find - next to the only 24/7 ATM in the town."
Both banks have now closed in Kington. There's an accessible ATM opposite the Spar shop in Church Street, round the corner from the 'Border Bean'.
Sunrise is at 0755 in Tewkesbury, 25 minutes after the depart.
Later in the day the moon (98% version) rises at 1549, before sunset at 1602.

To all intents and purposes we're just about full, entry will be closed in the next few days.

Route info will be going out next w/e.

Good news for those that like a bargain when it comes to parking in the borough council's  £1 all day car park in Station Road. On Saturday the car parking is free.

For the rest that like to splash-out on the more executive £4 all day car parks - you will get an even bigger saving. As these car parks will also be free.

https://www.tewkesbury.gov.uk/parking#free-parking-days

I received the route sheet and tcx file for this route today - thanks

When I load the TCX file into ridewithgps.com or www.gpsvisualizer.com the distance is shown as 220.2 km but the route sheet states 200.5 km

As a full value type rider I am a bit worried about having an extra 20km to complete in the allotted time.

Is it possible to confirm the distance of the ride?

Thanks  :)

I was muttering about why I had not yet received my route card.

I hadn't actually entered  :facepalm:  Monies now sent.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Amended .tcx file now sitting in riders' inboxes.

Third time lucky?

I received the route sheet and tcx file for this route today - thanks

When I load the TCX file into ridewithgps.com or www.gpsvisualizer.com the distance is shown as 220.2 km but the route sheet states 200.5 km

As a full value type rider I am a bit worried about having an extra 20km to complete in the allotted time.

Is it possible to confirm the distance of the ride?

Thanks  :)

Too late to enter this ride?

Thank you, Mark. Lucky this time.
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/bromyard

Updated tcx file received  :)

Thanks Mark

A RidewithGPS trace for anyone interested:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26514667
Caveat randonneur
See you tomorrow. Calm forecast.

As with all BlackSheep events, a lovely day out :-)

It was drizzling as we set out at 0730, and continued on-and-off for a couple of hours until the first control at Bromyard.  After that it was largely dry, except for the roads, which were either wet or extremely muddy after the rain.  I had to stop to apply fresh lube to my chain.

The stretch from Ludlow to Kington was as beautiful as ever.  Sweeping views to the north from the road through Mortimer Forest, after the climb out of Ludlow, followed by the peaceful but distinctive countryside of the Welsh Marches. (Although the peace was rudely disturbed by a frenzy of about 20 farmers in 4x4s heading for a nearby farm sale.)

I cycled through Presteigne looking apprehensively at every building I passed in search of the stone pillars of the "Judoes House" mentioned in the brevet, only to find 6 giant pillars at the front of the "Judges House"!

After the sweeping descent from the Small Breeds Farm above Kington (see below) down to Bredwardine, a rewarding flat section allowed me to make up some of the time lost to the hills of the Marches as I headed for home.  The final section of hills from Hoarwithy to the Weston brewery at Much Marcle wasn't as hard as I remembered, and from there it was a relatively fast ride back to the arrivée at the Royal Hop Pole.

Thanks for a nice ride, Mark!

Great ride, Mark.
Bit of drizzle right at the start (0730) persuaded me to put my jacket on, but that came off after half an hour (sunrise), and stayed off. Temperature was about +5 rising to maybe +8 and almost no wind. Some dry roads, some muddy. Fine views, particularly north after the hill out of Ludlow. Then across the 'Lingen Alps' for a brief excursion into Wales (Presteigne). Info control highlight: was spotting the "Judoes House" mentioned in the brevet ("How many stone pillars?"). Found said stone pillars and assumed 'judoe' was Welsh for 'judge' only reassessing this on the long climb out of Kingston and decided it was most likely a typg! Swift service at the Boarder Bean in Kingston but then spent more time outside the 'Angel Fish Bar' with a pack of chips to fuel me to the end.
The profile of the route meant we'd done nearly all the 2000m climbing by 116km so the last third was flattish down to and along the River Wye and across to the Severn. Teamed up with a rider (Simon) from Bristol for the final 55km after he'd mended his second puncture. Company made the miles roll by, as the sun set behind us. His (rather expensive) Hope somethingorother headlight started wobbling: the case seemed to have failed where the fixing is to 'slot' onto the bar fitting; so he was left with (a decent) 'be seen' front flasher on his headtube. My headlight provided enough 'spot the pothole' beam for us both but in the dark, out in the cuds near the M50, with ten km to go he had his third puncture. I (stopped and) provided light to augment his torch, and a spare inner, and in minutes few we were on our way to finish before six in Tewkesbury. An excellent 'scenic' winter route. We were lucky with the weather (yet again).

Thank you to all that supported yesterday's event. And for the sceptics, you were rewarded with garenteed weather.

A slightly damp start - as noted by one (highly respected) ACBristol rider later noted,. However it was dry for last minute info and ride departure. Having checked the route earlier in the week and knowing that very little oportunity for dry roads had occurred in that time, I was looking forward to some "mud-monsters" returning. I was not disappointed,  at least one rider came in resembling the creature from the black lagoon. But those with mudguards stayed clean. Perhaps a lesson could be learned there.

Apart from the obvious vistas around the ride, one of the most spectacular sights (for me anyway) are the oak trees in the deer park at Moccas. An incredible collection of fine trees - how they escaped the ravages of King Henry VIII I don't know.

Once again we were graced with some new randonnuers, at least two cyclists earned their merit. An interesting time of year to ride their first event, and not a particularly easy ride. I also learned that the ride went extremely close to their front door with only a couple of dozen km to go. Full marks for not bailing - but there again you would have to collect your transport today. The experience must have been an enjoyable one, as they've signed-up for more of the same in five weeks time.

Obvious thanks to Tewkesbury Borough Council for providing parking facilities at such a generous tarriff.

For a couple of cyclists cycling 200km in early december wasn't enough of an adventure, they decided to extend the ride to 300km.

No trikes or recumbants this year, but we did have 321up on the tandem, and a sprinkling of fixed wheelers, all enjoying the rises and descents with varing degrees of grimace.

Running concurrently was a 100km out 'n' back trip to Monmouth. This first time running attracted a good-sized field. When they were informed it was the first and fourth stages of the November 200 that goes to Talybont-on-Usk. Some of the cyclists are preparing to try the 200km next year as their maiden 200km ride. Nice to know a plan  to encourage cyclists to extend themselves is starting to work.

Mark, thanks for the ride yesterday - my second 200 km of the season.

I have previously ridden a few 200's and one 300 but not for a decade or more so consider myself a novice at this distance.

What motivated me to try it was your "Ed Blackthorn's Son" 150km in October which was a great stepping stone for me.

I would suggest that if that ride was run earlier in the season- say July/August - there might be more riders willing to try the step up to 200km if there was a suitable 200km in August/September.

Anyway thanks for the great rides and see you in January for the next 200km.

Thanks Mark, an excellent event as per usual  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75