Author Topic: [LEL17] Brevet card return  (Read 9732 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Brevet card return
« Reply #50 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:53:07 pm »
Perhaps a non prize winning competition is in order ?   
Add a witty caption to the above photo of Hummers in field.
Tis' the season to be merry  - apparently..

I've already entered (above)  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #51 on: 12 December, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »
Out of interest, did all Brevet Cards come back to loughton? I'd imagine quite a few people may have kept them?

Mine has been returned and will be treasured along with many others filling a shoebox. Long may they live! To my mind looking at a screen can never replace the feeling of holding something tangible that has memories attached, be it a brevet card, a book, a family photo (or daguerreotype!), or whatever.

Yes, however I wonder how many people completed, and retained the card, not bothered about further validation.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #52 on: 12 December, 2017, 08:43:25 pm »
We were also confounded a little by someone who was determined to steal personal data and post it online, potentially compromising the safety of at least two riders who required confidentiality while riding.

!?!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:02:50 pm »
We were also confounded a little by someone who was determined to steal personal data and post it online, potentially compromising the safety of at least two riders who required confidentiality while riding.

!?!

I vaguely remember the episode.
I think someone posted a link from Facebook to his own site, which effectively made much private data public.
The good LEL denizens clamped down on this misuse but expended much time, effort and trouble in so doing.

« Reply #54 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »
My card arrived today and provides a great momento for the ride with that personal touch associated to all the memories.

Never realised it was so heavy and if we had gone all electronic, as has been suggested, my finish time would have much earlier!

« Reply #55 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:13:30 pm »
I vaguely remember the episode.
I think someone posted a link from Facebook to his own site, which effectively made much private data public.
The good LEL denizens clamped down on this misuse but expended much time, effort and trouble in so doing.

The guy's website is an amazing resource of scraped times for riders of long-distance event, none of which he ever asks permission to take and publish.

He took the LEL 2013 data without permission, and had already taken and set up the 2017 start times. When we challenged him, his view was that it OK to steal the data, because people post things on social media. (Nope, me neither.)

We didn't trust him not to just take the data on the sly, so Phil went to great pains to throttle use of the website. At times the throttling was a little much, but we felt upholding our privacy policy was more important.

For 2021 I might change the policy to allow this sort of post-event analysis. But we were where we were and he had no right helping himself.

« Reply #56 on: 19 December, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
Two weeks after the brevets were send and I haven't received mine. Since I'm living in the UK I'd say my brevet got lost. A real shame as I treasure my brevets :'(

« Reply #57 on: 20 December, 2017, 09:49:41 am »
Javier,
Have just emailed you regarding this.

Keith and Sue

« Reply #58 on: 21 December, 2017, 01:42:18 pm »
And thanks to Keith and Sue's help I now have my brevet. Super-happy with my Christmas present.

Thank you for your kind support.

best
Javier

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #59 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:57:46 pm »
Phil went to great pains
The only suggestion I'd venture to make for next time is the meme of "a bottle of beer for Phil" should be encouraged more. Possibly with riders putting their name on the beer bottle, so Phil could think of a different rider when he opened a bottle of beer for each of the following 1,400 nights...... he deffo deserved this small token of appreciation.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.