Author Topic: ACME Easter Arrow Teams 2018  (Read 8222 times)

ACME Easter Arrow Teams 2018
« on: 19 December, 2017, 06:15:20 pm »
Opening a thread for ACME Easter Arrow planning.

Why so early? Well, Travelodge have a room sale starting on 26th December, so if we have some folk planning on the Thursday night start and getting some kip in York on the Friday night, we could secure some rooms at a bargain price.

For now, it would be useful to know how much interest there is in a Thursday night start. This will determine the likely number of teams, and hence rough number of rooms required. I don't mind booking some rooms speculatively if they are cheap enough.

So for now, if you are thinking about joining one of the ACME teams, could you please indicate your interest, and whether you'd be looking for a Thursday evening or Friday morning start. This will not be a binding commitment. Just an indication. Planning proper will start in January.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Re: ACME Easter Arrow Teams 2018
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2017, 08:53:16 pm »
Having enjoyed my first encounter last year, I fancy another go with Team Acme Anvils of course. Sadly, I think our team leader last year Captain 'I Don't believe in buffs' Carlosfandango is unavailable this time.
Not fussed with either Thursday evening or Friday morning start.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:00:43 pm »
I think I'm leaning towards a Friday morning Witham start, a westerley route, maybe into Rutland [scenic  :demon:] or the pre-2013 LEL route. Missing out the Humber Bridge too? :o Possibly some zigzags up north for a change...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:35:23 pm »
I may be tempted out of >300k ride retirement. A Thursday night start might appeal.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2017, 06:32:03 am »
I am up for a this too

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
With Huggy as captain, I am tempted by another ACME Anvils ride.  This year's captain was a bit of a slave driver and his catering arrangements weren't a patch on Huggy's.

I would prefer a Friday start but Thursday is a possibility if it means I don't have to do any maths during the ride  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2017, 02:15:46 pm »
With Huggy as captain....
....pack your swimming trunks & goggles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »
I would love to join a team, but with Easter being 1st April, I anticipate 18 hour days in the preceding week, inc the Saturday. Bugger
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 20 December, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
Yes please :):thumbsup: (happy with a Thursday start)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 20 December, 2017, 03:02:40 pm »
I've roped in a team from ColVelo this year so I suspect I will be seeing some of you along the way and some of you in York for Breakfast!

« Reply #10 on: 20 December, 2017, 10:24:04 pm »
Hi all

Never arrowed so why not? I would be up for a ride this year, pref in a team of fixed if my knees prove willing - easy on start times as family will be away...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
I think we need captains to step forward, then sort out from there - start times, preferred routes etc. Four is a the best number for a team: one spare in case of illness/mechanicals; five is somehow unwieldy, one often riding alone billy-no-mates with the two pairs; three is a bit risky if things go wrong.

A pubinar - a Wednesday evening soon, somewhere accessible, open to all...

BTW, it's considered bad form to advertise your route and distance, at least in detail - it's a competition, in this supposedly non-competitive branch if the sport.

I'd be more than happy to captain a fixed team again, or whatever...

« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:27:30 am »
So we have Tomsk, Huggy and Psyclist as the captains of Dynamite, Anvil and Catapult respectively.

Huggy your mission is to ensure that the Anvils' route is almost but not quite 400km.  The Straggler and Fandango were a picture when we got to the pub and they realised we had done 398km so no 4 points  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:40:07 am »
So we have Tomsk, Huggy and Psyclist as the captains of Dynamite, Anvil and Catapult respectively.

Huggy your mission is to ensure that the Anvils' route is almost but not quite 400km.  The Straggler and Fandango were a picture when we got to the pub and they realised we had done 398km so no 4 points  ;D
I've rechecked the thread and I don't see any posting by myself that says I will be a captain, or indeed commitment to actually ride  ::-)
If I were to have anything to do with planning a route it would be as close to 360km as possible to allow maximum relaxation time. 3 points is plenty for me.

ETA: just dialling Battesford Court, Witham, to Postern Gate, York, in to RideWithGPS offers a route of 360.7km  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:54:25 am »
Well volunteered that man and working on a route already  :thumbsup:

Last year's route worked well after Spalding.  Up to that point it was a bit less efficient in terms of minimum distance compared to actual.

« Reply #15 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:00:03 am »
I'm happy to captain a team again, and have a few lessons learnt from this year to hopefully ensure a thoroughly smooth ride into York with loads of time to spare! Also happy to not captain if anybody else has a burning desire.

I would also be considering a more westerly route to provide variety and new sights to see. Also to avoid that dastardly Humber bridge.

In respect to accommodation in York on the Friday night, I think there are currently only 2 potentials who would favour this and might be part of Team Catapult; myself and jiberjaber. Some candidates for the cataclysmic Team Anvil have also considered this as an option; the straggler and huggy, with tedshred on the Friday side of the fence.

Doubles in the York Central Travelodge are currently circa £120 for the night, and the Boxing Day sale will reduce that by 30%. I'm thinking that unless we get more people expressing the Thursday night start as their preference soon, or Team Anvil state that they will be going with that option, I'll not book any rooms for now. Thinking cynically, prices might naturally reduce anyway in the new year, after the sale has finished.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:12:06 am »
As much as I like the idea of starting late and riding in to the night on the Thursday to get the night section done first, I'm also inclined to follow my previous formula of a Friday 9am start to arrive in York in time for some refreshment and a return on the midday train. That appeals to the Audax minimalist in me that doesn't use commercial hotels on these types of audaciousnesses (hair shirt to be packed in the Carradice)  :P

« Reply #17 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:23:55 am »
I am too mean to pay for a hotel.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #18 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:28:18 am »
Well volunteered that man and working on a route already  :thumbsup:

Last year's route worked well after Spalding.  Up to that point it was a bit less efficient in terms of minimum distance compared to actual.

My route from Sleaford to York is on ride with GPS if you still want it. :)

« Reply #19 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:48:14 am »
I can't afford hotels.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #20 on: 22 December, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »
I've booked rooms. From memory last year the sale didn't really apply to the Easter weekend. A fiver difference between Flexi and Non I went Flexi so can always cancel and rebook if needed.

I'm working on a route....also toying with the idea of only 3 points to make things a little more relaxed! I'll be sticking mainly to known entities and have employed some local help which has been well received.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #21 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »
I have a traditional brevidence control list that comes out at 361km on Mrs Google by walking. So far RwGPS preferred routing to avoid 'walking' down A roads or potentially swimming through Welney (again) it's close to 390km  :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #22 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:06:44 pm »
Wow things are surely moving fast.... Plenty of progress must be a slow week in the office ;) (he says sat in a café in North Yorkshire) :D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #23 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:10:50 pm »
If this helps I have a route from St Neots to York with the 22 hour stop all sorted, that avoids the humber bridge (250k in distance)

8am or 9am start is best imho

I am will to help with planning a route, and checking closer to the event.

If required I can captain a team but only if needed.

Oggy

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 22 December, 2017, 05:43:25 pm »
09:00 Witham/Dunmow start for 'Dynamite' I think. I have a few loose ends to tie up with new events and to get the provisional route sheets and info done for 2018 too, then I'll see if Mrs Google has got new boots for Christmas...