Author Topic: Route advice North of England  (Read 1796 times)

Route advice North of England
« on: 05 April, 2018, 07:08:16 pm »
New to the forum, but need some local knowledge. This is only audax-related because I’m planning a 4-day trip through the Northern Pennines, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors before participating in the Chevy Chase 200 on May 5. Nevertheless, I hope that the British audax community can help me to improve my route. There are two sections that I’m not quite certain about: they appear to be along very busy roads, but I can’t find any alternative on the map.

The first bit is from Ripon to Thirsk. There seem to be two roads connecting these towns: the A61 (looks busy on Google Streetview) and the A167 (looks even worse on Google Streetview), but all alternatives I can find seem to be a huge detour. Any suggestions? Is there a nice quiet country lane somewhere? Or is the A61 not that bad?

The second bit is from Durham to Chester-Le-Street along the A167. According to Open Street Map there is a cycle path running parallel to this dual carriage road, but I can’t see it on Google Streetview. Can anyone confirm the existence of this cycle path? Also open for other route suggestions that take me from Durham to Ponteland.

Ben T

Re: Route advice North of England
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
don't know it specifically, but this is the way I would plan to go
https://goo.gl/maps/CCCmC4xgVSr ?
and https://goo.gl/maps/PooHwuZcEDQ2 it's basically the pavement
others may have more local knowledge...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »
The A61 route is not too bad, depending on the time of day that you ride it. Once over the A1 you are going against the majority of the traffic.

However I would, for preference, go Ripon, Sharow, up to the roundabout at the A168, turn towards Rainton, go through same, heading for Topcliffe. Go straight through Topcliffe and on to Dalton, then follow the road to Thirsk (and you will go past a 10th century church and the house where I grew up).

Can't help you with the other route, though.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2018, 07:50:13 pm »
The first bit is from Ripon to Thirsk. There seem to be two roads connecting these towns: the A61 (looks busy on Google Streetview) and the A167 (looks even worse on Google Streetview), but all alternatives I can find seem to be a huge detour. Any suggestions? Is there a nice quiet country lane somewhere? Or is the A61 not that bad?

I can't help with the Durham section, but I personally would avoid the A61 like the plague!! The bit from Ripon to the A1(M) is probably worse than the rest, but it is a close run thing!

My personally preferred route from Ripon to Thirsk would be to head north out of Ripon to the A61 roundabout, then head east through Sharow and along the Dishforth road to the A168/A1(M) junction. Turn left at the 2nd roundabout to head to Rainton, then right and follow the signs for Topcliffe. Straight through Topcliffe and pick up the minor road to Dalton on the right after passing under the A168, then left in Dalton and follow the signs for Sowerby and Thirsk. Not that much further than the A61, but one heck of a lot more pleasant!  :-)

ETA: X-post with tiermat!  :-D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:00:26 pm »
Durham to Chester, I nearly always just suck up the A167. It's a big wide road. The cyclepath's a right pain at the roundabouts.

However, a nice alternative is taking the bridleway* along the Wear and up past Franklands Prison, then through Finchale Priory. There's a footbridge in the priory grounds and steps up the other side to Leamside Road (or an offroad track), then just go straight ahead, through Great Lumley and drop into Chester past the cricket ground.

*All tarmac.

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:01:40 pm »
The A61 route is not too bad, depending on the time of day that you ride it. Once over the A1 you are going against the majority of the traffic.

However I would, for preference, go Ripon, Sharow, up to the roundabout at the A168, turn towards Rainton, go through same, heading for Topcliffe. Go straight through Topcliffe and on to Dalton, then follow the road to Thirsk (and you will go past a 10th century church and the house where I grew up).

Can't help you with the other route, though.

I'd second that (edit: or third it, I see) - the A61 can be 'orrible, unless you're hitting it in the wee hours.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:26:24 pm »
Welcome slugbait,

You cannot beat local knowledge but where there are gaps in that try using cycle.travel.  Traffic volume data is used in that, it will tend to route you onto quieter roads.  It doesn't take time of day into account though which takes me back to my first point.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:20:16 pm »
Thanks for the quick and detailed suggestions! I'll take the alternative route between Ripon and Thirsk (since I won't be passing there in the dead of night). The A167, I will just suck it up: that bit is only 10k anyway.

And if anyone is interested, this is the route as I originally sketched it: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zykjthlgahxqjptc

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2018, 12:31:31 pm »
The A167 isn't all bad.  It does at least have a cycling club named after it.

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »
To avoid A167 Durham to C-l-S have a look at Finchale Lane/Pit Lane through Framwellgate Moor. It becomes Chester Low Road and then Holmhill Lane. It brings you out onto the A167 just S of C-l-S and will put you straight onto the adjacent cycle path.

Just ridden it from C-l-S this afternoon and didn't see a car until I got to the Brasside roundabout near Fram. Mind you, on the way back I stuck to the 167 and was flying along there in the slipstream of 70 mph traffic.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2018, 09:31:24 pm »
I dislike the 167 between Durham and CLS, but it's rideable. The cycle path is actually OK but infuriating.

I tend to ride the Frankland prison/Finchale abbey way, then turn right at Great Lumley for Sunderland. I wouldn't fancy the stairs if I had lots of kit, but would be the nicest route.

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2018, 08:19:11 am »
The cycle path is actually OK but infuriating.

Contradictory but know what you mean D.A.L.E. The path is generally wide enough and it's well surfaced but at the same time you need eyes up your backside for all the 'Give ways'.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2018, 09:16:27 am »
I've diverted the stretch from Durham to Chester via Holmhill Lane. The route past the prison and onto Great Lumley looks a bit to exotic for me (although on a racing bike with 4kg of luggage, I could handle stairs). Thanks again everyone.