Author Topic: Forth and Tay **POSTPONED**  (Read 2064 times)

Forth and Tay **POSTPONED**
« on: 23 February, 2018, 08:40:14 am »
I am looking for a 200k calendar event early March. An recommendations for Forth and Tay? I would have to travel quite a way to do it but would make the effort if it comes recommended. Alternative would be to do a perm or DIY around the Lakes or Dales.

Re: Forth and Tay
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2018, 09:06:24 am »
I'd recommend this ride, even though the majority of it is in Fife ;)

There's always a good size field as it's usually the first Scottish 200 of the year.

You get to cross the Forth Road Bridge

All the control towns have good cafe's.

Only one real climb of notice, towards the end of the ride.

@CorbieLinnRider

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2018, 09:55:58 am »
Go for it  :thumbsup: I'd be doing it if it was on Saturday.

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:19:49 am »
Was my first 200 last year and I really enjoyed it.  NB Synergy Cycles in Auchterarder was a great stop- they gave free cake with a hot drink as it was their first Sunday open for the year- they didn't expect a crowd of audaxers to stop...

Remember having to drag myself away from watching the highlights of Strade Bianche to get on with the ride :-[

Also Jamesfield Farm just beyond Abernethy is also good.

Bairn Again

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2018, 12:09:22 pm »
Yes, its a nice ride, its effectively the son of an older event, The Kingdom Of Fife, though it has a better route (IMHO) and its slotted nicely into the calendar date vacated by the no-longer-running Dave Harris 200km.  Just one climb worth the name but other humply bits means that its not what id call a fast event. 

I enetered a while back but injury is likely to prevent me. 

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:36:07 pm »
I have entered it. Whether I ride it or not depends on the forecast snow...

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2018, 07:59:28 am »
Thanks Guys. I note that I have until March 1st to enter so will keep an eye on the forecast and enter last minute if it is doable.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2018, 08:26:26 pm »
Looks like the Quasi Supernormal Incremental Precipitation Inducer has gone for a 2-up TT with the Ice Queen, and the planets are lining up for SnoPocalypse on the F&T.

This is the first Audax I DNF's, a few years back, for the same reason.
Pretty much everyone got about 2k in, to the far end of the Forth Road Bridge, before bailing out.
Is history about to repeat itself?

I'm riding with a guy I work with, and who I ride with most lunchtimes. He's from a racing background, and this will be his first audax.  May be a trial by fire.

BrianI

« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »
Looks like the Quasi Supernormal Incremental Precipitation Inducer has gone for a 2-up TT with the Ice Queen, and the planets are lining up for SnoPocalypse on the F&T.

This is the first Audax I DNF's, a few years back, for the same reason.
Pretty much everyone got about 2k in, to the far end of the Forth Road Bridge, before bailing out.
Is history about to repeat itself?

I'm riding with a guy I work with, and who I ride with most lunchtimes. He's from a racing background, and this will be his first audax.  May be a trial by fire.

If the weather is as bad as it is forecast, I'll be a DNS let alone a DNF! To be honest, realistically I don't think my fitness levels are good enough for a 200K yet :-/

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Forth and Tay **POSTPONED**
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:42:53 pm »
The organiser has just sent an email round, and the event is cancelled for Sunday.

There will be a future date in due course, and arrangements made for those that can't make the new date.

BrianI

Re: Forth and Tay **POSTPONED**
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:26:54 am »
That's a relief, I don't feel quite so bad about DNSing because of the weather!