Author Topic: Exmoor Spring and musings  (Read 950 times)

Exmoor Spring and musings
« on: 22 April, 2018, 09:57:25 pm »
Completed Exmoor Spring for the first time today. Glorious route, glorious weather big thank you to all involved. Manned controls a rare luxury of late. All very friendly and a good advert for Audax. I was a bit wary of the climbing ( Porlock Hill for starters) but  the scenery , weather and amazing lack of traffic made it all ( fairly ) painless. Except for my mate Dave who came a cropper on the rough track option at the top of Porlock.  I forgot he was clipped in when I suggested we took it.
No such problems for me. Since a nasty fall in Oct I have taken a break from riding clipless after six years. The MTB spiked pedals and five ten sticky boots are doing a good job. Not the same, but I can't say I notice a big difference in efficiency.
Final thought;  just before the start of the climb to Wheddon Cross there was a small deer at the side of the road. Very dead and sad and rather brutal in the way it was just lying there.
I was watching a mountaineering film last night and I remember reading a book by Reinhold Messner where he said
' No climber can see so much as a spoon falling from a table without following it down and seeing in it his own fate'
Do other cyclists have a grim fellow feeling as they pass various roadkill?
' Hello brother rabbit/ hedgehog / pheasant. As another vulnerable road user I sympathise and salute you.'
proverbs 26:11 'As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly'.....

Re: Exmoor Spring and musings
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »
And I thought I was the only loon to empathise with road kill.

Re: Exmoor Spring and musings
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2018, 10:13:16 pm »
There was an old guy lived in a hut near me used to eat fresh road kill.

I saw him on one of his rare trips down the mountain to the pub , I asked him if he was still partaking . He replied that recently he had found a nice fresh one and roasted it with some spuds and boiled carrots, lovely. His only problem was what to do with its bike.....