Author Topic: A Catholic Education 200 23 June  (Read 4361 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: A Catholic Education 200 23 June
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2018, 06:46:44 pm »
Yes, great weather quiet roads once out of town, and an event HQ 10 minutes from home. Bit sore today... I always seem to find Bucks and Herts hard work... those gently rolling hills seem to add up to a considerable accumulative effect. Special thanks to the lunchtime controllers (I do so like village hall controls... it's trad, dad) and the chaps manning the tent at Potten.

« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2018, 07:29:53 pm »

Thanks everyone for riding and helping to make the first outing such a success. Some housekeeping first; We had 112 entries, 95 on the road and 89 finishers so all very positive. I was also really encouraged to see a good gender split, a few brothers and at least one father and son combo. It's a family affair.

From my side it went as well as I could have hoped for, the weather was just about right save for a nagging headwind for the riders on the way out. The controls worked well and it was reassuring for my marriage that everyone was so complimentary about the food at half-way. Mrs Blueskies has already signed up as catering manager for next year so expect more of the same. We did run a little low towards the end, It's one thing that’s hard to judge on your first run; just how much people want / need to eat (answer, a lot).

Two issues I need to look at for next year is a better route back to the arrivee. Going through Wembley after 195km was never going to be pleasant but was made considerably more challenging by Taylor Swift playing at the stadium that night. I did request them to move it to another date but they never replied to that email. It was lovely to finish at the pub by the river but if the event grows I need to find a more private venue as one or two people got a little shirty about us taking over the outside space.

So, hopefully I can run it again next year around the same time ideal as a post-PBP qualification leg-stretcher. I’ll put some thought into how to grow it in a managed way, suggestions welcome.

Finally, it would be remiss of me not to mention one rider in particular. David Stanton is a legend of West London cycling, he still competes on the continent in various cyclosportives and rides 12,000 miles a year, every year, mostly in Richmond Park. He finished the ride in 10’40” yesterday. He is, and forever will be, the Grand Patron of the ACE. David will be 85 in November.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #27 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:52:59 am »
It's a shame you had some moaners about being out the pub but frankly so long as it's fine with the proprieters I don't think this is a big deal. As a comms worker one thing we're conscious of all the time is the 'noisy moaners' phenomenon'. For every one moaner there's usually about 99 people who either like it or don't mind, so if you just have two or three people complaining then the likelihood is it's actually got a good reception in the community. I know the toddler who had fun playing with my bike enjoyed us all being there at least. The more that we can do to normalise the sport the better!

Blueskies one place to consider as an arrivée might be some of the rowing clubs up and down the tideway. Tradesmen's clubhouse is on a quiet patch out towards Chiswick (just by Barnes Bridge) and I'm sure they'd be glad to just open their bar for a few hours and sell a few drinks to thirsty cyclists. They've got a nice interior and a slipway area which is good for parties and whatnot when it's warm. A little further from Hammersmith but surely quieter to get to on the return leg.

https://ttrc.org.uk/facilities/
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #28 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:27:54 pm »
Thanks to blueskies and his team for putting this on, was beautifully organised and a great day out - maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I love London Audaxes!

Being one of the first out of the starting gate meant that I was in the front of the pack for some time, knew that I was overcooking it but it was a lot of fun, and enjoyed adamski's company for the second half - any tardiness on his part was probably due to him graciously waiting for me on the descents. Unfortunately it all caught up with me around 60km into my 165km ECE home and ended up getting the train from 3 Bridges, but boy did I enjoy that 8 hours in bed this allowed me. This year's SR remains as elusive though.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Tinez

• a Surly man
« Reply #29 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »
I'm delighted that there is an audax named after a fannies record.

If I ever get round to becoming an org I have a short list of TFC song titles to use.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2018, 03:20:03 pm »
For Hexton the roads are quieter via going right as you pass Shillington to Higham Gobian then take the first left (by the business park) to Hexton.  This also has the advantage of taking riders past the Lavender tea rooms and Raven pub in Hexton if they need extra drinks or food.  It is also a km shorter, than the way the signs to Hexton would take you.  If it is really hot there is also a tap by the porch at Lilley church (if you think the pub would be too tempting).

I did not meet any riders going the opposite way on the road between Bedmond (The white church on Sergehill) and Potters Crouch (Hollybush pub) but the time window for this was somewhat small, on Sat.

« Reply #31 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:10:22 am »
Great Saturday out. Hats off to organisers. Food was great.
Provisional results are on the AUK web but showing zero climb?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #32 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
That just means it hasn't been filled in - its still quite common for non AAA events. And as its not an AAA ride, does it matter?

(If you want to know, I'm sure there are lots of tracks on Strava/other sites which will tell you)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick