Author Topic: First DIY  (Read 3183 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
First DIY
« on: 22 May, 2018, 08:39:45 pm »

Having joined AUK, I'm looking to have a go at my first DIY ride. Aiming small with a simple 112k ride. I've done the application stuff, and had my confirmation. So other than sitting with strava and fettling the route more and more. Does anyone have any advice for a first DIY audax? Does anything much differ from a Calendar event, other than being on my own?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

whosatthewheel

Re: First DIY
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »
Depends...

When I do DIY I follow the GPS validation route, so I take the file from my Garmin and submit... no need for receipts as proofs of passage.

Plot a nice route, plan a stop for lunch and have fun, that's it, I guess

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »
There's a limit to how much you can fettle a route using only online tools.
Ride it first, then with the benefit of hindsight improve it for next time.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:41:44 pm »
Might sound obvious but keep an eye on the clock if you're stopping at a cafe etc. And pay when you order so you don't have to wait for a bill / card machine!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:11:33 am »
You've already followed my advice, which would be to test your workflow on a shorter ride before doing anything big.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2018, 07:09:01 am »
The only problem with DIY < 200 km is that basically you are paying some money (admittedly not a lot), but you don't get anything... no points, no AAA, no physical brevet card or brevet.

I often wonder what is the difference with just going for a ride with no validation...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2018, 07:31:46 am »
Aim small and see how you get on.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2018, 07:59:19 am »

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2018, 08:28:58 am »
Riding DIY100 will contribute towards the likes of a Brevet 500 or 1000 award (AFAIR).  I stopped doing DIY100s, but do enter calendar 100kms.  Onna 100km, I have a good breakfast, and try and refuel properly at a coffee stop (sometimes take a cheese sandwich) to avoid a bit of a dip in the last portion of the ride (approaching lunch).  On my own I tend to take lots of photos - just part of enjoying the ride for me.  DIY wise, these days I tend to do mandatory route DIYxGPS 200s, and really like constructing and riding a chosen route, without the constraints of using minimum gmaps walking distances - between controls/managing overdistance etc for an advisory route DIY (YMMV).

edit.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2018, 08:35:17 am »
no AAA,

Is this correct?

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/diyfaaq/#3

FAQ03: How do I claim AAA points for a DIY Perm
AAA points can be claimed for GPS DIY perms only. Where initial analysis indicates the GPX track may be eligible for an AAA award, it is automatically forwarded to the AAA secretary. But our regular processing will not identify marginal cases, or routes which do not qualify for AAA overall, but contain hilly sections of 100km or more. If you feel "there are AAA points in there somewhere", please let your DIY org know or take it up with the AAA Sec directly.

So AIUI, DIY x GPS you can claim AAA points for any length as long as it meets the climbing criteria

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:08:21 am »
And you can get a nice distance badge :) I did a diy50 just for the badge this year

Years ago I also did a few diy100s to get the brevet 500 award.

Sounds like you’re all set for it - don’t forget to have fun  :thumbsup:

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:26:11 am »
100km also gets 1 fixed wheel challenge point ... if riding fixed.

Back to the original question - sounds like a good idea, plotting a 100km route and riding it alone is a good way to introduce yourself to the process. Initially I found it very different and challenging riding completely on my own for most of the day with no official controls to break things up but like Andy said below, I've grown to love mapping out routes, riding and enjoying them and maybe tweaking them for the future. Go for it, enjoy and report back  :thumbsup:

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:57:57 am »
The only problem with DIY < 200 km is that basically you are paying some money (admittedly not a lot), but you don't get anything... no points, no AAA, no physical brevet card or brevet.

I often wonder what is the difference with just going for a ride with no validation...

As per Kim's post, it's a good way to test the system for planning and validating the ride before scaling up to a 200.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:59:51 am »
Other than being on your own, the only thing that really differs is that when and where to stop is totally up to you. As others have said, amending a route for the future is fun; there always turn out to be some roads (or tracks!) which look better on the map than in reality and some which you overlook on mapping but are really nice on the ground.

One thing kind of intrigues me: if you live in the Netherlands, why have you joined AUK rather than the Dutch equivalent?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2018, 10:01:02 am »
no physical brevet card

Small point of information: printed brevet cards are still available from the DIY orgs, and can be used for DIYs of any of the distances.

Bigger point: loads of good advice and thoughts above. Good luck!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:11:33 am »
no AAA,

Is this correct?
Not correct you get get AAA points for 100km rides, useful for Grimpeurs du Sud claims.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
One thing kind of intrigues me: if you live in the Netherlands, why have you joined AUK rather than the Dutch equivalent?

I have joined both. The Dutch don't do Perms or DIY's. Just calendar events. So it gives me more flexibility and more choice.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2018, 06:57:05 pm »

Did it! 116km, 1400m of climbing. 36°C Temps, and obnoxious Dutch motorists on Belgian pothole collectives (calling them roads would be offering a delusion of adequacy). All in 7:33 (limit was 7:49).

Have emailed a gpx, and some photos to Paul.

So that's the trial run done. Now for something a bit... bigger...

J
--

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2018, 01:33:01 pm »
Yay and plenty of time in hand, could of had another coffee ;D

« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »
Well done;  36C would be way too hot for me - sporting the necessary thick coating of sunscreen.

Did it! 116km, 1400m of climbing. 36°C Temps, and obnoxious Dutch motorists on Belgian pothole collectives (calling them roads would be offering a delusion of adequacy). All in 7:33 (limit was 7:49).

Have emailed a gpx, and some photos to Paul.

So that's the trial run done. Now for something a bit... bigger...

J
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2018, 02:35:44 pm »
Yay and plenty of time in hand, could of had another coffee ;D

Misremembered my start time, so miscalculated my end time, meaning I really caned it in the last 30km. Had had to dig deep and really empty the tank. The 10% climb 6km from the end was a real killer. I got to the end, got the PoP, stopped the gps, then collapsed in the shade.

Well done;  36C would be way too hot for me - sporting the necessary thick coating of sunscreen.

Average was 28°C, but out the woods, on the climb to the highest point of Belgium, it was really warm. I started with 2L of water, I picked up an extra 500ml of coke at the quarter point. I had a 0.2L at the control, and refilled my bottles. All told I think I had about 4L, over the 7.5 hours. Emptying the tank at the end tho really wasn't good. I got back to my tent, collapsed next to my tent and then had to decide if I should drink my water, or pour it over my head. Even with the amount of liquid in, I was dehydrated. Even with a further few litres, over the evening, I was dehydrated still when I woke this morning. Twas hot...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »

And a mail from Paul saying that the GPX has worked (even with the small road works diversion). Just waiting a few days for it to show in my results.

Yay!

J
--

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2018, 06:12:59 pm »
Wow! fboab and I packed a ride when it was 38c; it's just too bloody hot. Well done.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 04 June, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

My ride is showing on my results page on the AUK website. But it's showing as provisional. How long does a DIY normally stay as Provisional?

J
--

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 04 June, 2018, 04:31:43 pm »

My ride is showing on my results page on the AUK website. But it's showing as provisional. How long does a DIY normally stay as Provisional?

J

That depends on whether PermsSec is engaged with his latest European Grand Tour... but really it's a formality, so I wouldn't worry about it.