Author Topic: Cascade 1200 tracker  (Read 1153 times)

Cascade 1200 tracker
« on: 25 June, 2018, 06:10:05 am »
https://c1200.herokuapp.com/cascade

will take you to the on-line tracker for the Cascade 1200 over here in Washington state, the upper-lefthand corner of the map of USAnia.

John Lilley of AUK is representing the UK this time.  As of this keyboarding (2200 hours Pacific time, about 0700 UK Summer time?), he seems to have about 625 km in and is headed to the second overnight control at 711 km.

"SPOT" trackers are being used to monitor rider positions on the road.  There is a lot of wide open space on this ride and it's proven helpful.  On the display from the link above, rider names don't appear until you've selected one of the blue dots.  John seems to be at about the middle of the overall group.

Finish will be Tuesday afternoon the 26th.

Re: Cascade 1200 tracker
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:11:02 am »
if you weren't watching the blue dots, you might have missed seeing John finish. 

Of 60 starters, about 39 made it to the last control in time.  Very windy conditions on Day 2 had the greatest impact.

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2018, 09:38:08 am »
For those interested - here's an outline route description with RwGPS tracks for each day:
The Cascade 1200 will feature a group-oriented style of 1200 km riding. We will share common overnight stops each night and start more or less together each morning.   Accommodations at the designated overnight stops and drop bag transport between those stops will be provided as part of the entry fee. Start/finish:  Seattle
Day 1 Along the Seattle waterfront in the pre-dawn, then south over several significant passes, including both Elk & Old Man, to our overnight in Stevenson.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27099630
Day 2 Following the scenic Columbia River north and east via the Klickitat River and Bickleton. Overnight at Quincy High School. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27134355
Day 3 Big climbing day heading north and east, culminating with the climb over Loup Loup Pass, through Twisp, Winthrop and finally to our last overnight stay in Mazama.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27135090
Day 4 Significant challenge - 7000 feet of climbing, most in the first 100 miles over Washington and Rainy Passes in North Cascades National Park (may find snow and cold at the top of the passes). Finish location - Snohomish.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27134931

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2018, 06:22:50 pm »
I didn’t realise this had been posted here! A little extra pressure!

It was a phenomenal route. Day two was the hardest days ride of my life! 350km in ridiculous heat with 350km and some big climbs in my legs from the day before.

When I’ve recovered I might have a go at an arrivee article...

Moleman where were you? I would have said hello!

John

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:02:06 pm »
Very well done John.   It was good to be able to follow your tracking device, once I knew it was available.   Thank you Moleman 😊

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:35:23 am »
John,
I was Organizer Susan Otcenas' designated 'control captain' at the finish.  I was also the person handling the trailer for the left-luggage and left-bike cases.  I'm glad that the other volunteers knew what to do. 

It actually got to the point at the take-down after the ride that well-meaning volunteers were putting items into "wrong" vehicles and thus less likely to end up where said items needed to end up afterwards.

I did see you, said hello, etc. but didn't say "by the way, if anyone on YACF asks you about the tracker / the ride / I'm the guilty party who told them how to find you".

Watching the blue dots on the tracker on Sunday (day 2), especially toward the evening, became alarming.  I live about 1.5 miles from the finish, and we had a series of rain fronts and thunder/lightning come through.  Some of that, including the wind especially, made it over the mountains a few hours later to assault the riders.  I've driven through that area a number of times, and understand that there's not very much to deflect the wind there.

You got a pretty good sample of some of our summer weather - some moisture early in the summer, lots of heat east of the mountains, winds, etc.  BTW, I heard from one of the riders that the temperature displayed at the top of Washington Pass was 1 deg. C.  The "lowland" part of the last day was pretty typical of much of the summer - sunny, not too hot, light winds (but, up-slope afternoon winds in river valleys, so even while going downhill, it's time to pedal)

And, regarding the description of the various days' routes copied above from SIR, I'd say that the bulk of the climbing on Day 4 is in the first 30 km or so.  The last control at Mazama is at the foot of the climb over the North Cascades' passes.

Looking forward to the Arrivee article!  Get them all excited for 2020 - Cascade 1200 happens every two years.
Joel Niemi