Author Topic: Call for Volunteers from Audax UK Cyclists  (Read 4801 times)

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
Call for Volunteers from Audax UK Cyclists
« on: 06 August, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
Audax UK Members and other yacf contributors will recall the publicity recently given in the press and other media to research results conducted on the benefits to  respiratory health of long distance cycling, that research being based on work done with Audax UK cyclists. The team concerned, led by Audax UK member Norman Lazarus, are extending their research, and Norman has asked that we put out the appeal below to members for your assistance

Call for Volunteers from Audax UK Cyclists
Kings College Research Team

Audax UK cyclists previously volunteered so that the Guy’s Team could uncover a relationship between age, exercise and health. As a result of your input, ground breaking findings were published in the scientific press and gained world-wide publicity.

The Guy’s team are asking men aged fifty and over to please come forward again, in order to take part in a study on lung function. Many Audax cyclists will remember taking part in the initial study in 2016, which, thanks to your participation, was awarded a prize for research excellence by the British Thoracic Society in 2017. We would now like to consolidate these findings in around 10 more volunteers, so that we can complete the study and publish our findings this year.

The study will involve spending half a day at King’s College Hospital undergoing testing. We are particularly interested in understanding the role the diaphragm exerts on neural respiratory drive and breathlessness. Ultimately these tests will give important information on breathlessness in disease.

You will be tested by expert respiratory doctors and technicians in order to ensure that the research is of the highest quality. There is very low risk involved especially for healthy cyclists. You will however be asked to swallow two thin tubes (smaller than the inside of a biro) so that the electrical activity of the diaphragm can be measured. These are routine medical tests and most of the testing team have undergone the procedure with little difficulty.

Accepted volunteers will be given, in addition to the specific diaphragm test, a full lung function “MOT”.

Interested cyclists (who have not previously taken part in this study) should please get in touch with Caroline at the email address below, where greater detail of what to expect during your four hour visit to King’s will be given. 

Thanks, and regards,

Professor Norman Lazarus 

Email: caroline.jolley@kcl.ac.uk

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Call for Volunteers from Audax UK Cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2018, 08:50:25 pm »
Having been waiting for this one, *sigh*;  I'll drop Caroline a note to ask if the 'men only' is yet another example of research being done on men only and therefore not necessarily relevant so far as those otherwise endocrined are concerned.

(in the end I merely asked why not, explanation appreciated etc)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:53:23 pm »
Having been waiting for this one, *sigh*;  I'll drop Caroline a note to ask if the 'men only' is yet another example of research being done on men only and therefore not necessarily relevant so far as those otherwise endocrined are concerned.

(in the end I merely asked why not, explanation appreciated etc)

This ^
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2018, 06:01:49 pm »
My guess is that women over 50 who have regularly cycled throughout  their life are so exceptional that it is difficult to correlate results against the general population. Fortunately this is now changing.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
Here is the reply.  I have to say it's the first time I'd heard that men breathe differently.
There need to be more of us, we should list ourselves so we can be found when the time comes (I may in time be actively asking people  ::-)):

Many thanks for your question. The reason for focussing on male participants at the moment is because there are significant differences in the anatomy and physiology of breathing between the sexes, and there are also gender differences in breathlessness perception. At present I am completing the male cohort, and I will subsequently study a female cohort. It just-so-happened that when I first opened the study in 2016 I had a large number of male respondents and no female cyclists came forward. If it had been the other way round then I would be looking for women now rather than men. So please encourage the ladies to take part (in cycling and in research!)! (I am also a keen cyclist, and female...).

Should I let you know when I am going to start the study in female cyclists?
(Naturally I said yes)

Likely to be interested:
me
JBB
HK
:
:

edit: don't know about expenses, you'll have to see with the original cohort/check.  I have a son at KCL  :smug:
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
Those living outside the Londontown area need not apply. ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:48:33 pm »
HK would be interested when the time comes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2018, 07:27:19 pm »
Heard back from Caroline today. So others may have emails in their inboxes as well.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:14:27 pm »
Now booked in for this.  Apparently quite a few audaxers signed up, any others on here?

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:58:13 pm »
I'm hoping to be booked for April.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:11:43 pm »
I'm hoping to be booked for April.

Already early May I am afraid.  Some obviously jumped straight on yesterday's email.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:31:46 pm »

I may be too young, but I'd be interested if the timing can work out, when they decided to look at non male cyclists...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:07:08 am »
I'm too young  :D

I would happily take part though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:08:38 am »

I volunteered but those with diabetes excluded
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:23:38 am »

I volunteered but those with diabetes excluded

That's me out twice then
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »

I was too young when they did the first study.