Author Topic: Winter randonneuring was Re: The Full Fat Festive 500: 511 km of riding in the bleak midwinter  (Read 5841 times)

Did a 600k Perm on Boxing Day a few years ago. Got wet and muddy. No ice.
I've turned around after 10k on 100k reliability rides because it was icy.
Ride, don't ride, ride to the conditions, ride to your skill/comfort level. You might stay home and fall down the stairs...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Ain't that the truth. One year of major miles I was blessed to be riding in mitts in January. On the other hand I have a couple of 11 month RRTY streaks abandoned in December because of generally miserable cold weather.

Though to be honest that was more to do with a lack of moral fibre than the weather. :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Ain't that the truth. One year of major miles I was blessed to be riding in mitts in January. On the other hand I have a couple of 11 month RRTY streaks abandoned in December because of generally miserable cold weather.

Though to be honest that was more to do with a lack of moral fibre than the weather. :)

I'm thinking of scheduling a 200k diy for 1/12/2018, just so I have a ride in the bag as early as I can, just in case the weather means I can't get another in.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

In recent years at least 3 countries started offering a full winter series of rides, the Netherlands, Belgium and last winter Romania. Interestingly, for the Dutch and Belgian rides, november and december don't have that bad circumstances, it's more march when events have to be cancelled or altered due to the weather conditions. March, the month where traditionally the cycling season started.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
In recent years at least 3 countries started offering a full winter series of rides, the Netherlands, Belgium and last winter Romania. Interestingly, for the Dutch and Belgian rides, november and december don't have that bad circumstances, it's more march when events have to be cancelled or altered due to the weather conditions. March, the month where traditionally the cycling season started.

Ooh that's a point, you're gonna set the calendar RSN. Could we have a 200k calendar on 1st December, something not too hilly please?

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
something not too hilly please?
Jeez Julia, that's asking a lot from the Dutch organizers!  :P

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
something not too hilly please?
Jeez Julia, that's asking a lot from the Dutch organizers!  :P

You can but ask... You never know...

J
--

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
This March thing seemed to curse the UK as well [see ride reports of The Dean 300]. (of course my Audax memory is only relevant to the last 12-or-so winters, so not exactly statistically relevant.)

I think we can agree that this is A Recent Thing. Mostly. I don't know for sure that it's evidence of actual Climate Change, but we do seem to get more mild days in Dec-Feb than - say - back in the 1970s. So cyclists are getting out on more winter days than before, and this would logically lead to organisers putting on more winter rides; even if riders don't actually get any more brave, they are more likely to ride than before, as the weather is more likely to be bearable. Having more really bad days would not stop this phenomenon.

QED :)

[What were we trying to prove? Or argue about?? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Not really much different t the UK.
I've ridden Easter Arrows and got sunburned some years and abandoned because of snow (and a very strong headwind) other years.
It's now late August and the temperature is about 15 degrees, where I have memories of PBPs that have been in heat (several thousand French died because of the heat in 2003 just before PBP) where other PBPs have been cold and wet.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
One of the reasons that was regularly given against a winter break for Scottish football is that no one knows when "winter" will actually hit; in my life time it's landed anytime between November and April.

Handily the gritter routes and priorities are available from most councils:
P&K http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/14926/Gritted-roads-map-
Fife https://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&p2sid=38277F91-65BF-00F7-D5590F84425B9B0E&themeid=568AF4CE-B036-4E67-93AB-36B1E13DFA11
Stirling https://my.stirling.gov.uk/gritters

(The 3 most useful to me for an interesting winter season 200)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Reading the post this was split from reminded me, I've hit the deck riding on studded tyres in snowy/icy conditions before too.
Suspect I dug through to the decomissioned tramline; found myself hopping long the Murraygate in dundee with others out searching for a shop selling bread taking amusement.
Passed McNasty on the way home, I was on my bike like it was Strathpuffer, he was kitted out for a normal winters day ride, sunblest bag an aw.

I love riding in the winter and it is each to their own. I'm lucky in that there are others in Audax Club Bristol members that feel the same or at least willing to give it a go. If you are a 'fair weather' rider don't berate those that are not.

See this video from the first Titterstone Clee Hill 300 January 31st 2015. We had slushy snow on the Cotswolds, then a clear run, Snow again on Titterstone Clee Hill and ice on the skate down and a warm night run down the Wye Valley and over the Forest of Dean. It has subsequently been run twice since then. It has also introduced several members to the cub!

https://www.facebook.com/AudaxBristol/videos/871576846217281/

FYI also posted on original thread:

Organiser here. Back from LEJOG with my son; he is amazing, finished off his Brevet 500 in the process, added a lego brick to the largest model in the world at Chester Cathedral and climbed Ben Nevis amoung other things!

Didn't expect to cause such a stir with this one.

Simply put I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. The statement is clear on the calendar page. As I have mentioned and someone has pointed out I have run this twice as a club DIY and now open it up to like minded people. I've experienced weather over both times from frozen water bottles 30km in with frost covered fields, glorious sunshine, warm night, freezing night, walls of wind and rain, no rain, no wind, tailwind.

From the freezing one the roads were clear bar one place early on the 2nd morning which I will identify prior to the event; otherwise frosty, we just took our time. The route is advisory so any entrant can choose an alternative if they wish based on the weather. Or should they decide DNS/DNF. Risk? Life is riddled with risk and we are all potentially a strain on any service/person in all walks of life at any moment. Access the risk, be prepared and act accordingly. ie buy some winter tyres in advance just in case!

If you are asking for advice about clothing, tyres, what to do if you get a mechanical in the middle of the night with no one around and cold fingers etc I suggest you try something else, probably shorter on the edge of your comfort zone before attempting this.

I've set up another post where those that have entered can communicate their accommodation, travel arrangements, campervan sharing (no problem with staying in a (camper)van parked on the road near the start) etc: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109457.0

Spaces are limited as my house will be HQ, and therefore no option of starting from else where especially if I join in; plus the controls are identified for their opening time availability, I'll also list other establishments and their opening times. Otherwise ECE is always an option  ;D