Author Topic: How fast are you?  (Read 21250 times)

Re: How fast are you?
« Reply #50 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:28:16 pm »
For years I was one of the usual suspects for the Lantern Rouge. That was when I was still organising events. This lead to a lot of slow speed rides doing the routechecking. I've stopped organising 3 years ago and now I usually have 1-2 hours in hands towards the finish of a brevet. (Since I don't organise the silly brevets in the Ardennes anymore, I tend to ride flatter brevets though).
In 2015 I won the Adrian Hands Society's price for the slowest times on the qualifiers but still qualifying. I need 99h05 in total for my 4 qualifiers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #51 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:55:22 pm »
We're all out to enjoy a day on our bikes.

That. If some mighty belter wants to patronize the field because he's faster then more fool he. It's the ride that counts, not who you "beat".

Well that depends.

Sometimes there is a race on. Sometimes it's explicit.

It's all part of the fun, and frankly 'slower ' riders shouldn't be reading anything into other people's rides.

I did write "if he wants to patronize"... If you want to race with your mates or with anyone else you meet along the way, fine.  If you want to feel superior because I arrive 5 minutes under the guillotine, not fine.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #52 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:58:41 pm »
How would you ever know if I did????

I'd be long-gone.

rob

« Reply #53 on: 15 November, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »
I once overheard someone say that if you arrive at a control and Rob is there then you need to worry.

Not seen him much of late.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 15 November, 2018, 03:55:23 pm »
Almost anybody who was slower than me could not finish on time.
I seldom chose anything with any climbing either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #55 on: 15 November, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »
How would you ever know if I did????

I'd be long-gone.

That'd be fine too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #56 on: 15 November, 2018, 04:13:33 pm »
I'm averaging somewhere between 19 & 25 km/h depending on the terrain and wind.

Faff time increases if I ride with others, I did a solo 400 with 4 hours not moving and I've done 200s with similar not moving times because I've wanted to ride with someone who wanted more/longer stops.

I was Lantern Rouge on the Humber to Clumber 200 and completed in under 12...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #57 on: 15 November, 2018, 04:39:34 pm »
I wouldn't consider myself a faffer, but I do have a propensity to piss go to the toilet a lot, especially if it's cold.

My last little jolly including to and from start, was a solo perm. 253km, 11hr 39. Overall average, 21.7km/h. Average moving speed 23km/h. I think that was about 25mins of faff, and 15minutes of bush breaks.

Maybe I need to work on my bladder control
Rule 77

« Reply #58 on: 15 November, 2018, 04:58:53 pm »
I've ridden around a 600 in about 26.5 hours because I was in a rush. The 600 started at 6am Saturday morning and there was a 200km that started from the finish of the 600 at 8am and I wanted to ride both events. I did start the 200 late, but still got round the event, though it took me over 11 hours because for some reason, I felt a bit tired.
Actually, I've done that twice.
I've rushed around other events as well, so I could make the last train home. Similar to when I started riding to and from events. If I wanted to do Bryan Chapman without spending one of my day's holiday from work, I really wanted to finish before 5pm, better still before midday, to give me a good chance of riding the 100 miles home afterwards before I started getting sleepy.

You don't need to ride very fast, just not stop so long at controls. If anything, ride a bit slower than usual. 20kmh moving average is 20 hours riding on a 400. Ride at 22-23kmh and only spend an hour or two in total at controls and you'll still get rund in under 24 hours. Jack Eason was good at that. He rarely rode very fast. He just didn't spend much time stopped.

« Reply #59 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »

Many years ago, we all gathered at the start of the Trefil Travail (South Wales hilly 100) while organiser Dave Lewis gave a us  pep-talk.  Finally he said he'd been let down by the finish controller, but it was okay because Ian (pointing at me) had agreed* to be first back to man the desk. 

*It's possible that I had, but Dave's hospitality is such that I had no recollection.

That reminds me of Graham Moult and his Knotty 600 (which was a hilly 600 back in the 1990s)
The first time he ran it, he raced ahead of everyone to stamp the cards at the info control at around 300km. After he stamped al the cards, he raced to the finish to stamp all the cards. IIRC, Mich Potts (National 24hr Champion in that year) was riding.
He told me this when I was at the start the following year and said he wouldn't try that again!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 15 November, 2018, 06:48:43 pm »
Average over the last 11,000 km is 20 kph.
Flat-ish 600, 19.8 kph

But I'm fairly full value  :)
I'm usually 30 seconds in front or behind Ian. In fact, if one of us is Lanterne Rouge, the other is Lanterne Rogue.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

How fast are you?
« Reply #61 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:14:39 pm »
I’ve come first at an Audax 100km where the guys were still having their CCCAAAKKKEEEE at control before they had even thought of going out to complete the 2nd and final loop!

« Reply #62 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »
By my reckoning I've come first on about 50 audax........

.......I've also done about 50 solo DIYs!

« Reply #63 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:43:59 pm »

Many years ago, we all gathered at the start of the Trefil Travail (South Wales hilly 100) while organiser Dave Lewis gave a us  pep-talk.  Finally he said he'd been let down by the finish controller, but it was okay because Ian (pointing at me) had agreed* to be first back to man the desk. 

*It's possible that I had, but Dave's hospitality is such that I had no recollection.

That reminds me of Graham Moult and his Knotty 600 (which was a hilly 600 back in the 1990s)
The first time he ran it, he raced ahead of everyone to stamp the cards at the info control at around 300km. After he stamped al the cards, he raced to the finish to stamp all the cards. IIRC, Mich Potts (National 24hr Champion in that year) was riding.
He told me this when I was at the start the following year and said he wouldn't try that again!

I remember The Knotty: designed so that Graham could bowl along a quiet night-time A6 for 60km, whereas most of us struggled through the Lakes in the dark and had to cope with daytime A6 traffic.  Good event though (rose-tinted specs).

« Reply #64 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:46:26 pm »
I used to be faster. I hate riding this slowly- like FF I think if I can't shake it I'll give up audax.
I've never been fatter, I've never been slower- there's no doubt the two are connected.

As I was on the same bike for one of these:
Mind you, I have finished a 1000 and a 600 with less than 15 minutes to spare in the past few years. That sort of brinkmanship gets a little wearing during a long ride.
I can say I entirely agree. It's a lot more fun when you're surer you'll make it. I don't like eating on the bike, I don't like rushing through controls and riding non-stop, I like to ride fast enough to enjoy a break and enjoy (say) 4 hours sleep on a 600.

I've won a 100km audax (not bad for a fat girl) and come in with less than 15 minutes to spare. I know which I liked better.

« Reply #65 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:58:11 pm »
600 km in about 24 hours, depending on hills.

When I'm on my own (which is most of the time) I tend to ride audaxes "for a time", i.e., as fast as I can.  It's sort of automatic/instinctive for me to push myself as hard as I can, I guess because I like seeing what I'm capable of.  Possibly I should enter a race, but frankly I just like riding fast on my own.  I quite like Mike Hall's assessment of this mentality:

"wouldn’t you enjoy it more if you slowed down a bit?"
"not really, no"

On the other hand, when I'm with someone else, I couldn't care less about my speed, and my goal is simply to have a nice time.  The more cake stops the better :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 16 November, 2018, 01:20:05 am »
I never got round to riding the Knotty for some reason and I lived in Nottingham at the time!

I've never been very fast. I used to ride quite a few evening 10 mile TTs in the 1980's and never managed to beat 25 minutes. The winners usually did 22 something. Everyone was riding steel road bikes with no tribars back then. When I started riding the local racing club's early season reliability rides I found that the longer the ride, the nearer the front I'd finish and on the longest ones I was sometimes first back. The longest was the Leicester-Skegness-Leicester 166 miles and I once rode this in 9 hours 25 minutes, over half an hour quicker than the previous event record.

I was mostly still a CTC touring cyclist until I started riding Audax events in 1984 with the CTC National 400km from Lincoln to Great Yarmouth and back. This event was great fun and very fast. There was a very fast group off the front, but I was in the next very large group tucked in behind Mark Brooking and Jane Ramsdale on "The Pig" tandem trike. I'd never seen one ridden that fast before so it was a real eye opener the way they took corners on it, absolutely stunning in fact! Despite some lengthy stops we made it round in the 18 hour minimum time. The fast group had finished in 16.75 hours, but the doors at the finish didn't open until we got back.

The following weekend was my first 600km event which was Jacqui Denny's event based in Seething near Norwich. It was a red hot weekend and so was the early pace. There was a sizeable front group this time and that made efficient controlling at cafes crucial if you wanted to stay in that group. I was particularly impressed with the way Ray Haswell went through controls and he was one of the strongest riders, very dashing and stylish too. The front group thinned out as the event went on, until it was just me and a rider from Reading. We finished in 27.5 hours including several hours of very enjoyable eating, especially when the loops returned to the Seething HQ for delicious meals provided by Jacqui and her helpers.

So that's how I got hooked on audax riding and nowadays I am even slower. I think I'd be struggling to ride a 10 mile TT in under 30 minutes now even on a carbon bike, and I'm much slower at climbing than I used to be too. Fortunately though I haven't lost my stamina and I need less sleep than when I was younger. I also keep faffing to an absolute minimum, which enables me to finish even the hilliest brevets in time and turn in respectable times for flatter rides and very long rides.

I'm 54 now and I've done many of my best rides since I turned 50. This is mostly due to the Randonneur Round the Year award as it gives me an incentive to keep riding all year rather than just March to September like I used to. I'm currently trying to keep 3 RRtYs going at the same time. In the autumn and winter 200km DIY by GPS mandatory routes form the mainstay of my cycling. If I ride solo I don't tend to stop at all and quite often take under 8 hours. Most of my sub 8 hour 200s have been since turning 50 and I also did my PB for the Mersey Roads 24 hours of 403 miles aged 50. The next morning I started Mark Rigby's "Sore in the Saddle" 1300km around NW Scotland and I successfully finished and thoroughly enjoyed that event. I suppose that was my midlife crisis week!

All 7 of my successful PBPs have been under 70 hours, but 2015 was my quickest at 61:29 by over 3 hours at 51 years old. I rode faster in 95, 99 and 03, but stopped more. 61:29 might seem fast to some people, but it's only 20km/h including stops and the fastest riders take around 43 hours, nearly all of which is on their bikes. The less you stop, the slower you can get away with riding. I actually cocked it up a bit and stopped for 3 hours longer than I needed to on one section, but never-mind, I enjoyed that stop even though it was a bit lazy!

I'm more satisfied with my 2017 LEL at 53 years old than the 2015 PBP. I wasn't as fit for the LEL, but did the best I could possibly do with the fitness I had at the time. I did stop more, because the entry fee included food at controls, but I still had to bounce some controls to keep close to my ambitious 80 hour schedule. I also kept sleep to a minimum with none on the first night and 1.75 hours on each of the other two nights. The worst bit was crossing the fens into that headwind knowing I needed to cover the last 200km in under 10 hours and that the last section was a bit lumpy. I only got back on schedule at Great Easton and only stopped there for 20 seconds! I made it back a few minutes under 80 hours and was later surprised to find that the only riders who had done it quicker overall were the first eleven of the elite riders who had set off at 0500. As a 117 hour rider, I finished with over 37 hours time in hand, which was more than any other rider. Again though, it's not that quick, just 18km/h including all stops. Although I stopped a fair bit, most people stopped a lot more and many unfortunately ran out of time.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #67 on: 16 November, 2018, 07:13:02 am »
Riding fast and road racing are two fundamentally different games... I like to ride reasonably quick when/if I can, but have no desire to join a peloton pelting at 30 mph around a circuit, featuring mass crashes, hospitalisations, extensive damage and expensive repairs to bicycles, whilst ultimately not having a chance in the world to win even just a Cat. 4 race.

It's just a completely different sport, which happens to use the same equipment.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #68 on: 16 November, 2018, 07:39:28 am »
It's just a completely different sport, which happens to use the same equipment.

Yes, I think you have a point here. Just being fast isn’t sufficient to be good at racing.

It’s not sufficient to be good at audaxing either, for that matter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #69 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:51:42 am »
I've been first back a few times. I've been first back by riding fast, and I've been first back by riding slow and bouncing controls. The further I ride, the more its about the latter.

The main reason I've been first back is because (usually younger) properly quick people didn't do the ride I was on. No matter how hard I train, or how well I prepare, there are people much, much quicker than me. For example, I was back on BCM2017 in ~28h30. I recall some people finished in 24hrs. I know I couldn't have safely done it much faster. Tops, I could have trimmed maybe 30m from my stops, but then I'd have not been in the groups I was in. I couldn't get close to 24hrs. I got around LEL in ~92hrs. I had a couple of hours extra sleep than I really needed at the penultimate control, mainly because I was riding alone at that point and couldn't see the point of pushing on. Given my eyesight kept going weird, I felt like I was at the limit there too, and I've never trained so hard for anything (and won't again). I'm very aware, all the time and effort I can devote to cycling will never make me properly quick.

« Reply #70 on: 16 November, 2018, 09:10:02 am »

Yes, I think you have a point here. Just being fast isn’t sufficient to be good at racing.

It’s not sufficient to be good at audaxing either, for that matter.

I’d argue it’s not necessary to be good at audaxing. You need to be fast enough, but that’s not the same as fast. Sure the faster you are, the more rest etc you can get, but it’s not essential.

I go at a similar (if not slightly faster) speed as the person who came second in last seasons points comp. And, as I mentioned earlier, I’m very average and positively slow compared to others here.

For the OP, getting a bit faster will make the longer rides easier, but don’t get hung up on trying to go as fast as most of the people posting here, it’s not necessary.

« Reply #71 on: 16 November, 2018, 09:18:29 am »
According to Strava, this years points champ has a moving average (this year) of 19 kmph. I think the majority of that is Audax, but there are other rides.
To reiterate, you don’t have to be fast to be good at Audax!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #72 on: 16 November, 2018, 09:27:19 am »
I’d argue it’s not necessary to be good at audaxing. You need to be fast enough, but that’s not the same as fast. Sure the faster you are, the more rest etc you can get, but it’s not essential.

Yes, that's pretty much the point I was making. It is necessary to be good enough to get around inside the time limit, but simply being fast is not sufficient to achieve that. You can easily compensate for not being a fast rider by being 'good' at other aspects of audaxing, such as time management at controls, or being super-quick at repairing punctures.

For the OP, getting a bit faster will make the longer rides easier, but don’t get hung up on trying to go as fast as most of the people posting here, it’s not necessary.

QG doesn't ride much slower than me, but she does seem to spend a lot more time faffing. I think being able to reduce faffage is something that comes with experience - I'm certainly much better at not-faffing than I used to be.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #73 on: 16 November, 2018, 10:13:23 am »
Aside from being fast or not, both racing and riding long distance are mainly a question of mindset. You need the right mindset to throw yourself in a bunch sprint at over 60 km/h and equally you need a certain mindset to ride for 24 hours or so.

Succeeding at Audax is generally easier than succeeding at racing, basically because one is a competitive sport where success is measured by beating opponents and the other rewards completion only.... most starters manage to complete.

Either way, without the right mindset, you can't be a starter

rob

« Reply #74 on: 16 November, 2018, 10:42:00 am »
Can I ask what every means by 'good at audaxing ?'

I'd say being fast at audaxing and good at audaxing are 2 different things.