Author Topic: Highland Fling (York - Oban - Fort William)  (Read 1289 times)

Highland Fling (York - Oban - Fort William)
« on: 18 August, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
I am looking at doing this in mid Sept. Has anybody on here done this? What's the route like? etc
Any info / pointers would be welcome.

Re: Highland Fling (York - Oban - Fort William)
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »
It's a free route, just link the control towns. The downloadable PDF tells you this. Wanna join us on Darlo-Oban-Darlo ?

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2009, 09:59:58 pm »
Hi Mseries, what are your planned dates etc?

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:11:57 pm »
Saturday week, 29th August. 0600 from Darlington.

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:31:18 pm »
You will have to let me know how you go on. I can't do that weekend - I've already signed up for the Mildenhall 300km. I will stick with my original plan - the weekend of 12-13th Sept. Start in York about lunch time, ride through Sat night, Sun night at Glen Nevis YH then ride through Mon night and finish lunchtime Tues, should allow me to finish in around 70 hours.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »
There's probably space here in Darlo on the Friday if you change your mind.  Best of luck :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:05:49 pm »
How did you guys go on?
I did the ride. Its supposed to be 1100km, but I was on for over 1200km!!
I rode 739 miles (1139km) and then the rear mech expired. It also bent the gear hanger and damaged the wheel. I was / am gutted to have gone so far and not finished. And it was F***ing cold on Sat night and Mon night too!!

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2009, 07:55:42 pm »
You got further than we did (the deathly silence was probably a clue).  It was nowt spectacular that stopped us, just being a bit slow, and both of us getting struck by can't-be-arsedness at the same time.  We got as far as Dunoon, but when we were in the cafe we kind of agreed that we weren't going to make it back before the last ferry.

Shame you didn't finish.  I did think of you when we were in a chippie in Dumfries (The Noble Hill chippy, just about perfect fore this ride, as it has seats and a toilet, is on the main road and far enough out of the town centre to be fairly quiet).  How was Erskine Bridge?

If I did try this ride again next year, I'd want to miss the huge leg on the A76.  I hated that road.  All the pissheads were out on the streets in the crap towns en route, and it wads just depressing.  It was flooded on the way back south according to radio reports, and we couldn't be bothered to ride the whole distance back to Darlo, so we got a train as far as Carlisle, then came over Yad Moss. 

Which turned out to be a lovely ride - we got hit by a massive rain shower and sidewinds descending Yad Moss, which was fun, then that shower's bigger brother caught up with us at Folly Top, and we had a mahoosive tailwind and some of the wettest rain I've ever experienced for the twenty miles back to Darlo.  That was utterly bonkers - the rain was fountaining out of the drains.  By the time we got back to Darlo, we were so wet that I told MSeries to go back through one of the puddles, so I could try to take some photos.  The photos were crap, but the video's worth a look:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2tQ7dQv0F1s&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2tQ7dQv0F1s&rel=1</a>

Try again next year? ;D