Author Topic: Postal strike [+ Hauxton 100k]  (Read 6278 times)

megajoules expenditure

Re: Postal strike [+ Hauxton 100k]
« Reply #25 on: 19 September, 2009, 07:27:36 am »
Ahhhhhhhh thats a shame :'(

I'll wear my new rain jacket.That'll make the sun come out ;D

[/quote]

Sorry that's extra.  8)

It was very windy the last time I rode the event (2007).  Was a nice day last year when I helped.  Will be very wet and windy this year.

[/quote]

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2009, 12:05:37 am »
A zipped gpx file of the route has now been uploaded to the event's calendar page.

Sep 27 - Hauxton 109

Chris S

« Reply #27 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
Thank you Simon, JJ and Team for providing a great day out.

Not many Populaires get reported here. I think there is a streak of "attitude" that runs through AUK that says they aren't really Audax rides, because they aren't Randonnees. Pfft... ask 99.9995% of the population whether riding a bike 62 miles is Long Distance, and they will say "Yes". AUK is the "Long Distance cycling association". 'Nuff said.

This year's route took us up onto La Col du Barkway (152m) to Reed. Then onto the LEL route from Sandon to Gamlingay (just HOW did 530 cyclists get across the A505 near Ashwell without any deaths?) and then to Gravely for a sticky bun stop. The final run to the finish was aided by a developing tailwind and diminishing hilliness.

This was a recovery ride for me - after yesterday's Golden Tints 200; I was round in 4:40 - at least an hour behind the loonies in the Cambridge Cycling Club who were clearly out for some kind of 100km Time Trial  :o.

Yet again - a great day to be out on a bike; warm, sunny and not much wind until after midday. Difficult to believe it's October this week.

« Reply #28 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »
sounds great, sorry i couldnt be there to help out.

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:13:10 pm »
Not many Populaires get reported here. I think there is a streak of "attitude" that runs through AUK that says they aren't really Audax rides, because they aren't Randonnees. Pfft... ask 99.9995% of the population whether riding a bike 62 miles is Long Distance, and they will say "Yes". AUK is the "Long Distance cycling association". 'Nuff said.

not sure if that's true; I suspect it may be because not that many people on here ride them; I've not ridden a 0AAA Populaire this year (at least not on the day) even though there are some great ones out there. And no I don't want to rake up the 1 point debate again  :)

Perhaps we could put a poll up...

« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:24:53 pm »

Not many Populaires get reported here. I think there is a streak of "attitude" that runs through AUK that says they aren't really Audax rides, because they aren't Randonnees.

I don't think that's true at all. In real life I don't have conversations about whether or not pops are proper audaxes, we don't really care, we just ride our bikes.

Maybe people don't talk about them much because they are no big deal to them. Maybe the folks on here who are very proud of themselves for riding Pops have been made to feel lesser riders by reading about other folkds tales on here

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:33:50 pm »
Maybe people don't talk about them much because they are no big deal to them. Maybe the folks on here who are very proud of themselves for riding Pops have been made to feel lesser riders by reading about other folkds tales on here

Probably my point. That would be a bad thing as there is nothing trivial about riding a bike 100km in one go. Anyway - this should be for another thread, if there is the appetite to pursue it.

« Reply #32 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:39:51 pm »
I will be very surprised if many of the AUK members whom I know consider Pops as not real audaxes. They are. They are much more popular here in the north of England than longer events are. West Yorkshire ones in the Spring had over 200 riders in total for the 60 and 110km events. The flat Wiggington ones are very well attended too. Great rides, grand days out and really sociable events.

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
I will be very surprised if many of the AUK members whom I know consider Pops as not real audaxes. They are. They are much more popular here in the north of England than longer events are. West Yorkshire ones in the Spring had over 200 riders in total for the 60 and 110km events. The flat Wiggington ones are very well attended too. Great rides, grand days out and really sociable events.

And in the eyes of some, "only" 100km. This is a wee bit like the "Hardest Audax" thread that I now regret starting. The benchmark to which regular audaxers measure difficulty moves upward with their achievements. In unguarded moments they might then make flippant reference to shorter (or better - easier than what they are used to) rides that are still a lifetime's achievement for most, but have become trivial to them.

« Reply #34 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »
Good ride. I was around in 6 hours, but 80 minutes of that was a very leisurely lunch at Waresley (chatting to some CTC Cambridge riders we met who were testing the new seatpost on their tandem).

On the way back through Bourn we mingled briefly with the riders on the Oxford to Cambridge ride run by Bike Events.

Thanks to Simon and Mike for the excellent organization, and to Ian, Peter, George and Tina for running the controls.

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 28 September, 2009, 08:42:50 am »

How did the riding swimming running thing go?

« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2009, 09:22:14 am »

How did the riding swimming running thing go?

great fun :D   Ride (+ swim + run) report eventually...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 28 September, 2009, 07:11:47 pm »
well said.

This was a recovery ride for me ...
Err ...       ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #38 on: 30 September, 2009, 03:26:16 am »
...... The benchmark to which regular audaxers measure difficulty moves upward with their achievements. ....

That's human nature though, 'small steps'. No one should forget that all of us had to build up to 100km and then advance to further distances. I don't believe 200km and further is beyond anyone.

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 30 September, 2009, 09:06:19 am »
...... The benchmark to which regular audaxers measure difficulty moves upward with their achievements. ....

That's human nature though, 'small steps'. No one should forget that all of us had to build up to 100km and then advance to further distances. I don't believe 200km and further is beyond anyone.

That 100-200 step took me 7.5 years. Hauxton 100 in 98 on my Galaxy and I bonked in Newton only about 4 miles from the finish. Did no more Audax until the Fenland Flight in 06. 

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #40 on: 07 October, 2009, 04:23:05 pm »
Much belated thanks for running this event Simon and for the brilliant sunshine all day.A great new route via my favourite old cafe from clubruns of years ago at Reed and the biggest Chelsea buns on the planet to help carry us the last 20 or so miles to home.
Caught up with lots of old clubmates and made my safe return to AUKland just in time for end of season.
We look forward to visiting for your 200k next year :thumbsup:

Cheers

Lucy

Alot more important than this.Have you booked the wall to wall sunshine and continuous tailey to arrive for 10:00 next Sunday?  8)

Lucy

Sorry that's extra.  8)

It was very windy the last time I rode the event (2007).  Was a nice day last year when I helped.  Will be very wet and windy this year.

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 07 October, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »
Much belated thanks for running this event Simon and for the brilliant sunshine all day.A great new route via my favourite old cafe from clubruns of years ago at Reed and the biggest Chelsea buns on the planet to help carry us the last 20 or so miles to home.
Caught up with lots of old clubmates and made my safe return to AUKland just in time for end of season.
We look forward to visiting for your 200k next year :thumbsup:

Cheers

Lucy

Alot more important than this.Have you booked the wall to wall sunshine and continuous tailey to arrive for 10:00 next Sunday?  8)

Lucy

Sorry that's extra.  8)

Thanks Lucy, was good to see you back on the bike.

I can't take credit for the route, that was Mike Stapleton's route (one of three he used for the event, rotating over 3 years).  I did rewrite the route sheet though and I can take credit for that.  And the cake was all my own work. :)