Author Topic: LEL - the flat bit round of Thorne  (Read 5005 times)

DanialW

LEL - the flat bit round of Thorne
« on: 24 September, 2009, 11:52:50 am »
At the AUK committee meeting yesterday, I presented a precis of the LEL feedback threads from on here.

The committee picked up on comments about the route around Thorne, and were interested in hearing more from riders about this section.

So:

What did you think about the 100km of the route either side of Thorne? If you liked it, what in particular did you like. If you didn't, what made the route unpleasant.

Also, what suggestion do you have for alternative routes around this area?

Ta muchly.

Chris N

Re: LEL - the flat bit round of Thorne
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »
West of Sheffield would get my vote. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:36:46 pm »
What, something like:-

Cheshunt, Milton Keynes, Burton Upon Trent, Ashbourne, Glossop, Holmfirth, Keighley, Conistone, Aysgarth, Hope, Barnard Castle, Alston, Brampton, Longtown, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Traquair, Innerleithen, Dalkeith. 651km.

On the way back you could do ..., Holmfirth, Langsett, Edale, Monyash, ...

That'd stop people whining about the flat bits. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:43:30 pm »
I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I liked those bits and would not mind if they were used again.

I admit, my cycling is predominantly in an area where you can’t find any flat roads, so I liked it just as a change.  Also, I’m from Gainsborough and enjoyed the nostalgia element of cycling on home turf.  One of the highlights for me was the approach to the Trent through Misterton and Beckingham: the sun appeared for the first time that day, just for 5 minutes before setting, and Gainsborough was halo’d by a huge rainbow. 

It added to the variety of the route, as far as I'm concerned, without being too same-y of itself.   It’s not as if the main road bit towards Howden was anything like the minor roads round Kirton Lindsey, the tiny lane by the canal not long after Thorne, nor the dead straight (OK one 90-degree bend) road for 14km from Sandtoft.  I particularly liked that almost featureless stretch but I know my brother did not and ‘went a bit mental’ along there.

The Howden main roads were not very inspiring but were good for getting in a few quick miles, and there wasn’t too much traffic when we were there.

DanialW

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:44:15 pm »
I'm not sure that the issues were to do with lack of hills, rather an abundance of lorries.

But I could be mistaken.

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:57:21 pm »
The main problems are getting through Lincoln on the A15 and the traffic on the B1188 and A153 from Lincoln to Sleaford. The last two roads are busy with drop-offs on the verge and little capacity for traffic to pass. The A15 would be safer as it a more modern road with space to the left of the white line, but that is out of the question. I had to blank a young German rider on the B1188, rather rudely, to ensure he didn't ride two-up, which I'm uncomfortable with on roads like that.
The route South of Sleaford on Mareham Lane is fine. The route in 2001 and 2005 was better except for the ride into the centre of Lincoln in 2005. A control to the west of Lincoln would be the ideal, but Washingborough was an excellent control, so I can see the problem. Apart from the traffic, I actually like the fast, flat roads, as they allow me to build up a cushion of time. The route North from Thorne was fine, if good for the soul, in its opportunities to contemplate the infinite.

Damon.

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:00:12 pm »
The lorries on the B1188 were probably the worst bit, between Scopwick and Ruskington and the run in to Sleaford.

I didn't really notice the bit between Wragby and Thorne. It was getting dark and raining most of that time.

North of Thorne it wasn't that bad at all, never had much traffic about (I left Thorne at about 6am each time so I either arrived or left there before any major traffic was up and about).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:07:25 pm »
My preference would be to take the B1398 along the Lincoln Edge north from Lincoln (or near Lincoln - somewhere like Saxilby or Skellingthorpe would be ideal), then through Brigg to a control at Barton on Humber. Then across the Humber Bridge, and a laney route through Market Weighton and Pocklington skirting the Yorkshire Wolds to Coxwold. Simple
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
I refer the Honourable Member to my previous comment about the section just N of Sleaford:

Do Lincolnshire and Yorkshire drivers compete for scaring cyclists off the road?
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:09:39 pm »
traffic on the B1188 and A153 from Lincoln to Sleaford.

Definitely my least-favourite section of LEL.  The B645 into St Neots was pretty bad too, but probably because I was tired rather than the traffic.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »
I'm not sure that the issues were to do with lack of hills, rather an abundance of lorries.

But I could be mistaken.
I had no problem. Maybe a time of day thing?

[I did what I was told - started at 2pm and finished in about 116 hours. Perhaps others deviated from this schedule ?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2009, 06:42:59 pm »
I'd like to keep it in the ride. But more according to the route of 2005. So not going through Gainsborough and only skirting Lincoln. The nasty bit was between Gainsborough and Lincoln.

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »
I'd like to keep it in the ride. But more according to the route of 2005. So not going through Gainsborough and only skirting Lincoln. The nasty bit was between Gainsborough and Lincoln.

No the nasty bit was after Lincoln.  Oh, but the approach to Gainsborough had a pavement cycle path alongside.  Automatic reason to avoid a road.  Still, I found a nice cafe in Gainsborough and wouldn't mind visiting that again.

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2009, 07:42:02 pm »
My preference would be to take the B1398 along the Lincoln Edge north from Lincoln (or near Lincoln - somewhere like Saxilby or Skellingthorpe would be ideal), then through Brigg to a control at Barton on Humber. Then across the Humber Bridge, and a laney route through Market Weighton and Pocklington skirting the Yorkshire Wolds to Coxwold. Simple

As a non LEL rider, this time around.
That sounds better. I'd think it even better to go further east and dodge Lincoln. There are some nice quiet roads around there. Finding a control might be a big problem.
A lot of the LEL route from Sleaford to Howden are rat runs for rush hour traffic. Except maybe the bit coming into Thorne from the south.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #14 on: 24 September, 2009, 07:48:03 pm »

Oh, but the approach to Gainsborough had a pavement cycle path alongside. 

If that's the A631 from Beckingham, you can avoid it by taking Station Road/Old Trent Road from Beckingham as far as the Trent shipyard, and then riding along the nicely tarmaced path along the riverbank, rejoining the road just before the bridge.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

red marley

« Reply #15 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:50:27 pm »
I may have been one of the people whose feedback you picked up on. The flat bits around Thorne were the least favourite for me, and the lorries north of Thorne were pretty unpleasant. I am sure this is related to the time of day, but its worth considering all the same.

I cannot recall off the top of my head the precise places involved but I was southbound approaching Thorne between about 3-5pm. There was one shortish stretch somewhere between Howden and Thorne that involved sharing some fairly main lorry dominated roads, perhaps around Rawcliffe. At that time of day it was pretty unpleasant (it was also raining heavily, so that may have influenced my impression). Perhaps more significantly, there was a longer stretch, perhaps 20-30km or so to the north of  Howden, on very flat roads. Although they were reasonably quiet, the traffic that did use it consisted mainly of lorries that didn't put much effort into slowing down or giving me any space. I found this particularly draining and quite dangerous on occasion.

I may have been unlucky, but I also found the flatlands in the 20km south of Thorne in the early evening (it was about 6pm on Wednesday southbound for me) rather unpleasant. Much of the driving by locals along the very narrow flat exposed roads was pretty aggressive to the extent of several drivers deliberately accelerating towards cyclists in the hope of soaking them or forcing them into the ditches on either side. I think this was partly due to the time of day and the weather, but also the long exposed roads give antisocial drivers plenty of time and encouragement to plan their confrontation with oncoming cyclists.

I should also add that I generally don't like flat routes, so this may have clouded my judgement about Thorne environs. I'm afraid I don't know that part of the world well enough to suggest a detailed alternative route, but I personally would love to see some of the peak district included in the route instead.

« Reply #16 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »
I thought the 2005 route from Lincoln to Thorne was better and the roads through Selby and York better than the official route. Depends on the time of day though. in the dark at 11pm it was quiet/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »
I may have been unlucky, but I also found the flatlands in the 20km south of Thorne in the early evening (it was about 6pm on Wednesday southbound for me) rather unpleasant.

I have to point out that these roads are much-loved by local cyclists and have featured in numerous very popular Doncaster-based audax events over the years.
By contrast, I don't think there has ever been a Doncaster-based event that uses the roads directly west of the town, which lead directly into hillier country.

[disclaimer - not local to that area myself]
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2009, 06:44:41 pm »
What, something like:-

Cheshunt, Milton Keynes, Burton Upon Trent, Ashbourne, Glossop, Holmfirth, Keighley, Conistone, Aysgarth, Hope, Barnard Castle, Alston, Brampton, Longtown, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Traquair, Innerleithen, Dalkeith. 651km.

On the way back you could do ..., Holmfirth, Langsett, Edale, Monyash, ...

That'd stop people whining about the flat bits. :)

There are some pretty awful urban roads in that route in West Yorkshire.

« Reply #19 on: 25 September, 2009, 07:06:32 pm »
Personally I like the 2009 route including the Thorne section.  It breaks the event into 3 distinct sections; south - gently undulating, middle - flat, north - hilly.  Especially southbound this year the flat section was welcome, and I had no problems with traffic at all.
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
Personally I like the 2009 route including the Thorne section.  It breaks the event into 3 distinct sections; south - gently undulating, middle - flat, north - hilly.
That's exactly what I found.

I'm sure there are more interesting routes, but this one certainly wasn't broken.

If it was my decision, I'd only change if it made the controls work out more neatly (i.e. removing the Wragby check, or finding some even better equipped venues)

Oh hang on - I'm assuming we all agree that using Lincoln TC was an utter disaster!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2009, 07:43:46 pm »
Lincoln town centre was the only bit I really didn't like. I'm quite happy with the rest of the route, and can't say I noticed any problems with lorries.

« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »
I think someone was thinking of the short stretch of the A614 from Rawcliffe to the left turn near Glews garage for the lorries. I avoided this by going via Selby and York, but at 11:30pm Sunday night it is very quiet anyway. Even Wednesday afternoon it was OK. I happen to use it quite a long, it's never too bad, it's short. Lincoln Town Centre , no thanks.

« Reply #23 on: 26 September, 2009, 08:49:20 pm »
I live within a mile of the Washingborough control and have local knowledge of Sleaford/Lincoln area.

One option would be when going southwards to go straight over at the traffic lights in Branston to Silver Street instead of turning left on to the B1188 - Sleaford Road. Continue on to Mere Road and then via the unnamed minor road to turn left on to Bloxholme Lane. This rejoins the B1188 just north of Scopwick and keeps you off the B1188 for about 10km - but adds about 1km to the distance.

There is no reason why this couldn't be used as the route north as well but the B1188 is not so bad at the weekend.

Unfortunately there seems no obvious way around Ruskington and the A153 unless there is a major route change.

As for avoiding Lincoln town centre -

Instead of turning off the A1500 on to the B1398 into Lincoln continue on the A1500 to go straight over the A15 and A46 via lanes to Scothern. In Scothern turn right to Sudbrooke. Turn right on to the A158 (busy at peak times) for 500m.

(There is a bridleway to Reepham opposite this junction but I'm unsure of it's condition, as it's been a long time since I've used it but it may be an option on a dry day at least).

From Reepham continue to Fiskerton turning left at the junction towards Bardney.

At the eastern end of Fiskerton is an unnamed lane down towards the River Witham. The footbridge here was upgraded some years ago with the addition of long sloping ramps either side with the specific purpose to allow cyclists to cross the bridge without getting off their bikes. This allows you to cross over to Five Mile Lane and on to Washingborough.

Five Mile Bridge

This route was used on an Audax event that used to be run from Clowne some years ago. Taking this route north of Lincoln adds about 8km to the route .

(Those in the know during LEL could have used this bridge to take a short cut to Wragby via Stainfield and Apley avoiding Bardney altogether and saving about 3km.)

As said before, it would be a shame to see the route change drastically and lose the excellent control facilities at Washingborough.

Obviously the fact I live practically on route and if I ever fancy the LEL challenge I'd have the luxury of my own
bed and shower etc has a lot to do with it as well  ;D