Author Topic: Sleep deprivation and Alzheimers....  (Read 1270 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Sleep deprivation and Alzheimers....
« on: 25 September, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »
Just noticed this report......
I wonder if this has any bearing on the odd activities on some of our more extreme long distance riders... ?  ;)

Re: Sleep deprivation and Alzheimers....
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:44:19 pm »
Mmmm...worrying with a history of Alzheimer's in the family and a history of sleep deprivation on long Audax's in me!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2009, 07:47:55 am »
...but too much sleep has been linked to heart problems.

I know that's not the point of the OP.  :-[

H

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2009, 09:22:39 am »
Indeed.....
The OP was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.
The first thing our dean said to us as a newly assembled group bright eyed and bushy tailed students on our first day at University was:
"Remember. Half of what you are taught here in the next 7 years and half of what you may be told thereafter is complete and utter rubbish and half will be true. Your job and career will be to determine which half is which!"
In the 33 years since, I have found his statement to be true.  :)
Every "fact" needs to be tested, assumptions examined and the evidence properly weighed; and even then you do not necessarily have an answer. Time usually is the ultimate judge.
The main problem we have is that few people do this and even fewer will believe evidence even when they are slapped about the gills with it!
This study is, after all, about mice not men; lack of sleep was but one factor in the experiment and we are not told of any others in this short snippet; it may be purely incidental!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2009, 05:36:47 pm »
So PDM, with that in mind, will you be doing the Brian Chapman next year, or would you prefer a team effort at York-Cambridge-York?

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2009, 06:15:35 pm »
More relevant to night workers I think.