Linked Events

• Upper Thames 200 Audax: 07 November, 2009

Author Topic: Upper Thames 200 - 07-NOV-2009  (Read 16222 times)

Re: Upper Thames 200 - 07-NOV-2009
« Reply #125 on: 10 November, 2009, 10:55:06 am »
Met up with a nice chap on fixed just after Brill, and we went over to chippy with two others (John? and a woman who's name I never caught) without much incident.

Nice chap is Brian Mann, he's Lovely.
A (not mathematically complicated) process of elimination leads me to suspect I was that woman.
Hi!

I think the YACF "Buff" has become our secret handshake.  Discreet but distinctive to those with the trained eye.  (Also one of my favourite pieces of Autumn thru Spring clothing, I adopted the balaclava mode on final stage).
Indeed. But 'who are you then?' seems so rude....

LEE

« Reply #126 on: 10 November, 2009, 11:19:20 am »
I think the YACF "Buff" has become our secret handshake.  Discreet but distinctive to those with the trained eye.  (Also one of my favourite pieces of Autumn thru Spring clothing, I adopted the balaclava mode on final stage).
Indeed. But 'who are you then?' seems so rude....

I don't think anyone would think it was rude, far better to break the ice, do what I do.  Ask "Who are you on YACF?" and then forget about 5 minutes later.  Repeat at every Audax for 3 years until the names start sticking.

I'm appalling at remembering names and even worse at remembering what I just read on my route-sheet.

One thing I do know though, if you aren't sure whether it's "Hummers" or not, then it's not.

AJB

« Reply #127 on: 10 November, 2009, 06:04:27 pm »
Thanks Phil and team for an enjoyable days cycling.

The hill down from Bix (?) must be the first hill I've considered walking down. It was a little hair raising. Apologies to anyone stuck behind me - I was the slow one with the very noisy brakes.

A quick cuppa and cake at the first control, I decided to eat more at the next - the Old Mill Cafe control. On entering the place thought I'd made a mistake with all the cyclists and expected a long delay before being served. Very surprised that within a couple of minutes of taking my seat, my order (beans on toast with another cuppa) had been taken and the ordered food was soon in front of me.  I wish all controls were this fast.

Enjoyed the fact that this was the first Audax ride I'd been on that I could see other riders ahead and behind. I also managed to cycle with some of them. Thanks to the "Banana Sales Man" and his mate for dragging me along near Braize Norton. Sorry never got their names, but would have forgotten even if I did.

Decided on a short stop at Milton to get card stamped and buy some food. With the light failing got ready for some night riding. Like Lee my YACF buff was worn in balaclava mode for the final stage - kept the ear nice a warm (well warmish)

Ended up going round the rbt onto the A4074 Reading a couple of times since misread route and forgotten I'd already taken the SA @ rbt "Henley".

I think I may have too many rear lights since just before the L "Ipsden" another cyclist passed and commented that he thought there where several bikes ahead, not just me.

The long drag up Quite Lane (well that's the sign next to the house when I turned right) was hard going. Just glad it was dark so unable to see exactly what lay ahead. But after this climb it felt to be mainly downhill all the way to the finish.

AJB