Author Topic: Marmotte 2010, any takers for a yacf crowd?  (Read 1350 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Marmotte 2010, any takers for a yacf crowd?
« on: 26 October, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »
I shall be riding the Marmotte again next year and am wondering if there are any other takers from here.

Are there enough interested parties to think about booking a chalet on Alpe d'Huez?

If not I can keep on doing what I have done for the last few years but would be happy to be part of a bigger group.

Re: Marmotte 2010, any takers for a yacf crowd?
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:15:18 pm »
What date?
I've thought about doing this before. It's just the hassle and expense of getting there and back that has put me off.
I could use up holiday time from work and ride there and back, but there are other things to do too.
How are you getting there?
I don't fancy paying hundreds just to ride a one day event.

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:24:18 pm »
It's only a day's ride from Alp d'Huez to Mont Ventoux. That could make it worthwhile

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:30:13 pm »
I believe it is July 3rd next year.

Last year I took the train from London to Grenoble (I have a bike box) which was fairly easy - my return fare was something like £170 but could have been as cheap as £120 had I been more organised about booking in advance.

I treat it as my main holiday for the year and ride around the area before and after the event so I don't mind the fare.  Next year will be my last Marmotte for a while, I'm off to the Pyrenees again the year after that to do the Raid.  

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:43:33 pm »
Hmm yes, I've been contemplating this after my first etape this July.  I was planning on driving down and camping for a week in Bourg d'Oisans, before the Marmotte - that way I'd get acclimatised to the heat (which was stifling on the Ventoux).  A car share could work out cheaper per head.  How does this play?

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
Any hills?  ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:51:32 pm »
Mal Volio told me it was almost flat.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:56:11 pm »
I treat it as my main holiday for the year and ride around the area before and after the event so I don't mind the fare.  Next year will be my last Marmotte for a while, I'm off to the Pyrenees again the year after that to do the Raid.  

If I had more holiday from work, I'd do that too.
But The Millie Miglia in Italy is the main Audax event for me next year, so that'll use up some holiday. I'd rather do 1000 miles than 200k and I can still do some more leisurely riding to get my moneys worth out of my travelling expense.
Plus I might be riding a DIY version of the Crackpot 1000k that weekend now. Looks like I'll have to let this one pass another year. So much to do, so little time.