Author Topic: Mid Wales perm  (Read 1584 times)

Mid Wales perm
« on: 12 November, 2009, 04:45:13 pm »
The thread on Cambrian Connections got me thinking (I know.  Doesn't happen often).  Mrs D and I have volunteered to help out on the Welsh 1000 thingy that Mr Dulates is organising, so will be in Aberystwyth for the long weekend.  I would rather like to spend one day while there doing a 200k ride.  All of the Aber-Aber loops on the event are a bit long for this, and additionally doing a shorter ride than the main event loops (and hopefully being fresher) would mean that I won't be away from the control for so long; back at my post to help feed the "proper" riders.

Does anyone know offhand whether there is an established 200k perm that would fit the bill?  Otherwise I can see a reasonable (but v scenic!) route by perusing the CC map (Aberystwyth - Tregaron - Builth Wells - Kington - Rhyader - Devils Bridge - Aber) but if there is something already designed, I might as well use it.

border-rider

Re: Mid Wales perm
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »
  Otherwise I can see a reasonable (but v scenic!) route by perusing the CC map (Aberystwyth - Tregaron - Builth Wells - Kington - Rhyader - Devils Bridge - Aber) but if there is something already designed, I might as well use it.

That sounds very like the Elan & Ystwyth 200 - though that starts near Kington and goes to Aber and back.  You could convert that into a DIY perm easily enough, based on the E&Y routesheet.

It's a great ride

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »
  Otherwise I can see a reasonable (but v scenic!) route by perusing the CC map (Aberystwyth - Tregaron - Builth Wells - Kington - Rhyader - Devils Bridge - Aber) but if there is something already designed, I might as well use it.

That sounds very like the Elan & Ystwyth 200 - though that starts near Kington and goes to Aber and back.  You could convert that into a DIY perm easily enough, based on the E&Y routesheet.

Do not forget you can start/finish a Perm from any Control on route or any reasonably close location to prove start/finish (though you might forfeit extra distance).  So, if it goes through Aber ..... where is the problem?  As a Perm organiser I would find it very poor form if I supplied a routesheet and then heard of it being converted into a DIY with some other organiser (DIY-man) gaining the cash and having to unnecessarily check the route.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2009, 05:32:11 pm »
It's not a registered perm.  Only a calendar event.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »
E&Y starts at Gladestry (", W of Kington"); based on my dawn visit you'll struggle for a receipt there. So "permise-ing" it by stretching to Kington would only add a few km, and you could keep the rest of the calendar route, EDIT: maybe purchasing it from the org?

Hopefully, MV has corrected any misunderstanding here! I meant that if it was me, I would approach the organiser and offer contribution to club/charity funds equivalent to a calendar ride in return for a routesheet, to use as part of DIY. Or something. And obviously the org would indeed be under no obligation to humour me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »
Is that the way it works then ??? Could I buy my way onto calendar routes via the organiser rather than making a DIY claim (-on the proviso that the calendar organiser is okay with it)?  :-X

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »
Is that the way it works then ??? Could I buy my way onto calendar routes via the organiser rather than making a DIY claim (-on the proviso that the calendar organiser is okay with it)?  :-X

No, sadly

All you can do is very politely ask the organiser if he minds, and then submit a DIY route based on the calendar route with the justification that it's already an approved route.

As SteveP says, the organiser of the calendar event would be quite within his rights to tell you to sling your hook.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »
You've qalso got to bear in mind that calendar routes may use info controls and not be readily convertible into DIYs. Aber - Kington is only 89k each way for example.

Nothing already done that I know of but I have a couple of options shortening some of my routes:

1) Aber - Elan Valley - Builth - Brecon - Llandovery - Tregaron - Aber. Shortened Mille Cymru Leg3 missing out the Gospel Pass.
2) Aber - Mach - Newtown - Churchstoke - Rhayader - Aber. The western (Welsh) bit of my Wrekin to Sea/Heart of Wales 300.

I'm intending that the various loops of the 1000, plus some shortened options including the above will be set up as a series of perms from Aber. The 1000 itself will be available as a Perm as well but after the calendar event, plus a 1200 extending Leg 3 down to Chepstow.

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »
Interesting......

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:42:21 am »
Thanks for the comments chaps. 

Yes, I've done the E&W (same year as you did it, MV) and agree it's a fine ride.  I was thinking of the outward route of that as the return, preferring to be a bit further south and exploring the Tregaron area, which hitherto I haven't ridden.

And yes, I'm well aware of the etiquette regarding perms, Steve.  If there is a suitable route set up already I will use it, and deal through the appropriate organiser.  That's why I asked the question really.  I know I can look through the lists of permanents on the AUK site, but as has been commented here before it's sometimes difficult to identify quite where these rides go.

And of course the etiquette of doing such a ride at all in the circumstances I described needs to be explored, as my first responsibility that weekend is to Mr Dulates's event, and I have no intention of upsetting any apple carts there.  But the "option 1" above looks as if it might well fit the bill if circumstances permit.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:15:55 am »
Be sure to pack a spare set of knees.

I lost a pair somewhere just to the north west of Abergwesyn.  :'(

H

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
The "closest" permanent I can think of to Aberystwth is the Cambrain Series 200 (might be 2B from memory) that goes to New Quay and goes down to Fishguard.  There are others in the series that start inland and take in some of the places you mention.  But this series is based on free routes (i.e. no route sheet).

Why not get a copy of the Elan and Ystwyth from Ross and offer to route test it?