Author Topic: Fleches de France / Diagonales de France / Raids  (Read 2114 times)

Weirdy Biker

Fleches de France / Diagonales de France / Raids
« on: 14 November, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »
I'm hoping someone on the forum knows something about the Fleches and Diagonales, as my French is rather rudimentary (and Google translate only gives you what is written, not what our ACP friends really mean) and I am finding it difficult to understand the basics of these rides (such as how to enter them etc).  So, I'd appreciate any help with some questions about these rides:

Has anyone on this forum ridden the fleche/diagonales series of rides in belle France?  If you have, can you either share experiences on the board or PM me, as I have a goal to do all of these rides in the next decade.

Also, is there any way for these rides to be recognised by AUK?  I do not think they are registered with AUK, but is it (in principle) possible to ride them "in parallel" with a DIY?

Thinking beyond this, would it be possible to establish these as an "official" permanents series using the FFCT/ACP validation as proof the ride was done (in the case of the Fleches, to gold or silver standard)? If this were possible, would it be possible to incorporate the AAA points for the Raids?

PS: Anyone going "huh", explanation of what these rides are can be found via the links at

Cycling challenges in France

Keith

• Dorset Coast
  • Cyclists do it Silently
    • Wessex CTC
Re: Fleches de France / Diagonales de France / Raids
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2009, 09:30:09 am »
I've ridden Fleche Velocio twice, but I guess that you're more interested in the French Diagonals? I understand them to be just like Permanents in this country with the same rules and criteria. They are ACP rides but as part of the LRM as I'd understand it the points are transferrable to your AUK tally as long as you tell AUK about it.

This is the guy to contact about them:

Jean Pierre PENDU
16 Rue des Prés
95260 MOURS
Tél. : 01 34 70 29 46
jp.pendu@audax-club-parisien.com

You could also contact Peter Marshall at AUK as he is the liaison
Audax UK

Any help?
Let us do this thing that is set out before us!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:01:27 am »
Thanks for the response.  I'll contact Mr Marshall to get his thoughts.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:57:35 am »
I recall reading that Diagonalistes need to have their brevets validated at police stations rather than at random stores but can't recall where I read it.  Not much help really.

Apparently Karl Hrouda of the Willesden is the only Brit to have completed all the Diagonales de France.  A very few foreigners have completed all of the Fleche de France, including Jim and Rose Churton (she is the only British female).  You might be able to contact some of them via Mr Marshall.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »
Doing one of the Diagonals is high up on my wish list too - there's lots of info here: Les Diagonales de France
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2009, 07:25:17 pm »
Doing one of the Diagonals is high up on my wish list too - there's lots of info here: Les Diagonales de France

Do you have any in mind?  Looking at the routes, each has it's own character.

I suspect I won't do a diagonal until 2011 (Mille Cymru and Raid Alpine, plus an optional LEJOG, to keep me occupied in 2010) at which point I hope to tick off one a year (alongside two Fleches de France).  If you ride yours before then, it would be good to hear of your experiences.  If you delay until 2011, maybe you fancy some company?

I might do one of the shorter FdFs in 2010, possibly to occupy myself over Easter.  A cheap Eurostar/bus over to Paris and then a pedal to one of the ports.  Usual invitation for anyone interested to join me (if I decide to go ahead).

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:22:42 pm »
I also would like to do a Diagonale at some point. From what I gather, you need to:
  • Draw your own route as you would do for a DIY
  • Submit it with the intended controls to the fellowship of Diagonalistes L'Amicale des Diagonalistes
  • The diagonales are as below:
  • Ride it, you have to control where you said you would
  • On the way some fellow diagonalistes may come to cycle a bit with you, they may even help you cross an area difficult to navigate, they call them Saristes
  • You need to find accomodation, most people book hotels before
  • You are not allowed to disclose your time
  • You need to write a report afterward for the ride to be homologated

Chief cat entertainer.

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »
I also would like to do a Diagonale at some point.

Moi aussi. I'm going to look at doing a couple next year though I haven't decided exactly which ones yet.