Author Topic: What a weekend to pick...  (Read 1263 times)

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
What a weekend to pick...
« on: 15 November, 2009, 10:51:52 pm »
Yesterday, about 3pm, saw a cyclist walking up my garden path away from the house. Rushed out to see who it was: John Evans on a Perm.
I usually see him on one ride a year as he calls in each way when on The Middle Road, but as that's usually in the 'Summer' and he'd ridden LEL I wasn't expecting him.

He's riding a 1000k and chose yesterday to ride from Lincoln to Winchester! When he left here he had 7 hours for 150k into the gale (he also had my carefully modified (bent) 10mm spanner for adjusting his saddle.

I was expecting him at about 1pm today, went out for a ride at 1.15, got back at 3.15 and no spanner in sight.

JE turned up at 6pm and left at 6.45 with 160k to the Travel Lodge at Lincoln, then Northallerton and back to Lincoln for Tuesday, needing to finish by 10am.

He's then intending to ride some hilly Perm N from Lancaster, fly back to Oz at the end of the month and ride another 1000k 2 days later!

Yesterday should be good training for him!

BTW, he's interested in the Belmont Hotel in Thorne - anybody know what it's like nowadays?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What a weekend to pick...
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2009, 11:11:42 pm »
Haven't stayed there since 1997. You was there! ;)

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Re: What a weekend to pick...
« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2009, 09:39:23 am »
I was! Sleeping during and after LEL - a touch of [relative] luxury, thanks to Helly. :thumbsup: O:-)
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.