Author Topic: Keeping Arrivee interesting  (Read 5269 times)

D0m1n1c Burford

Keeping Arrivee interesting
« on: 13 May, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »
As most of you may have read in Tim Wainwright's editorial for the latest edition of Arrivee, there is a distinct lack of material.  It occurred to me that YACF could help solve this.  Each time there is a ride listed here, many YACFers will write up a ride report on how their ride went afterwards.  Then there are the ride reports in the YACF Ride Report section.  If every YACFer emailed their report to Tim, as well as posting it here on YACF, we could all keep Arrivee stuffed with material every issue.

Let's all keep Arrivee interesting, and send all our ride reports to the Arrivee magazine as well  8)

border-rider

Re: Keeping Arrivee interesting
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:44:01 pm »
You might want to reconsider publishing Tim's email address on t'interweb - unless you've checked with him first

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:49:19 pm »
You might want to reconsider publishing Tim's email address on t'interweb - unless you've checked with him first

A good point MV - now removed.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:49:49 pm »

He's spamtrapped it on the AUK website (as have most organisers as it's publicly visible via the calendar)

Anyone in AUK can view e-mail addresses of members via the website and it's password controlled

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:55:38 pm »
What about 'Naked Randonneur' as a feature?

I have some material I can post on to Tim....

H

frere yacker

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:56:22 pm »
I'll be doing my bit (started working on an article).

But perhaps this is just delaying the inevitable?  Is Arrivee needed?  Maybe it is no longer the best way of keeping AUK's up to date and in touch with each other.  Just a thought.  Devil's advocate and all that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:59:07 pm »
What about 'Naked Randonneur' as a feature?
I can't see you driving housewives wild in quite the same manner as Jamie "Mockney" Oliver did, but it's a good title.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
I sent a "sportive inna Audax stylee" article a couple of years ago but it never appeared; maybe I sent it to the wrong editor.

But perhaps this is just delaying the inevitable?  Is Arrivee needed?  Maybe it is no longer the best way of keeping AUK's up to date and in touch with each other.  Just a thought.  Devil's advocate and all that.

good point; I was editor of our caving club newsletter for a couple of years; by the time I gave it up it was pretty much a screen-dump of the (very good) club's website for those who weren't on-line (and most of those who were  :-\).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:05:15 pm »
Is Arrivee needed?  Maybe it is no longer the best way of keeping AUK's up to date and in touch with each other.

I like hardcopy and would feel shortchanged without it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:06:16 pm »

Although I really enjoy contributing to forums such as this, I also look forward to Arrivee.  I enjoy the articles and pictures etc.  I would be very sad to see it go.

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:08:48 pm »
Is Arrivee needed?  Maybe it is no longer the best way of keeping AUK's up to date and in touch with each other.

+1

I hate reading things like that from a screen.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:41:01 pm »

+1

+1

A magazine is also ideal for reading when away from the home & office (so therefore without the bit of wire that plugs me into the interwebby).

And I can give it to my father-in-law when he's round.  Teethgrinder's 405point epic kept him quiet most of sunday afternoon  :thumbsup:

Really Ancien

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
It's must be hard keeping Arrivee interesting post PBP. What is needed are new perspectives and we get those when new people come onto the scene. This will happen prior to LEL and then PBP. Meanwhile we are likely to have immensely long tales of grim determination accompanied largely by pictures of grimly determined men of a certain age. Meanwhile carry a camera and take some time out to take some photos, otherwise we will always see lots of static shots taken by organisers or followers from the same standpoint.

Damon.

frere yacker

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:12:12 pm »
I think the difference is that writers expect other people to be interested in tales about LEL and PBP.  Something about sharing a common experience.

Whereas for more "personal" rides they are in two minds about whether anyone else wants to know about since, "after all, surely everyone knows this already".

That's certainly been my angle in the past.  I've always wanted to write about something "unique" and "special".  But perhaps mundane will do just as well.

Really Ancien

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:19:53 pm »
It's not so much the articles about PBP that I was thinking about, but the fresh pairs of eyes of riders coming to SR series in the year prior to PBP. I enjoyed Hummers' articles last year, riding 400s and 600s for the first time messes with your head and it's often interesting to get newbies reactions to that when their enthusiasm is still strong. Articles by more experienced riders can tend to focus on details, such as a change in type of liquid feed.

Damon.

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:33:15 pm »
My contributions have been sporadic over the last few years. But I try to send a few discreet scribbles now and then, and the odd photy.

Hummers

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:14:26 pm »
I can't see you driving housewives wild.....

:'(

.... in quite the same manner as Jamie "Mockney" Oliver did, but it's a good title.

:sick:

H

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »

+1

+ another.
Cycling mags enliven visits to the bathroom, which is no place for a computer. A magazine is good on a train journey, when I may not wish to be weighed down by a laptop.

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:18:07 pm »
Arrivees always an interesting read although I think the older issues tended to feature a greater range of material.

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
What about "Riders Wives" as a feature?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I see it now; a centrefold each issue, looking world weary and on the brink of completely losing it.

In one hand, she's holding a small child by the scruff of the neck. With the other hand, she is holding part of a broken toilet cistern/household appliance/domestic pet/broken marriage in the other. Just a strip of black across the eyes, to hide her modesty.

Tits well out on display, obviously.

Hope this helps.

H

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2008, 08:51:19 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I see it now; a centrefold each issue, looking world weary and on the brink of completely losing it.

In one hand, she's holding a small child by the scruff of the neck. With the other hand, she is holding part of a broken toilet cistern/household appliance/domestic pet/broken marriage in the other. Just a strip of black across the eyes, to hide her modesty.

Hope this helps.

H

So right...on so many levels  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »
Hm, should make a version in English then of the report on my Bosnian trip I wrote for a Dutch magazine. Advantage of Arrivee is that longer articles are enjoyed in contrast to the Dutch magazine I write for where 2 pages with 4-5 Photo's and 1500 words are the norm.

DanialW

« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »
I've just started to write something, though it's a bit dry at the moment and I think needs jollying up.

Oh, and I'll be drawing a pretty map as well.

Really Ancien

« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:52:07 am »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hope this helps.

H

Perhaps we are headed in the wrong direction, Arrivee in the post PBP year should be utterly mirthless, with pictures of men, grey at the temples, staring at us with a look of defeat in their dead eyes. Meanwhile there could be tips on reviving unwilling lawnmowers and adverts from IKEA. A DIY 600 could be an inexpensive kitchen renovation.

Damon.

Treewheeler

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
I fear many of our most stalwart riders will never be able to contribute to the proposed 'readers wives' section of Arrivee...
The trick is to first, attract a mate, second, THEN start audaxing.
Not the other way round. ;)