Author Topic: Three Glens Explorer  (Read 17045 times)

Bairn Again

Three Glens Explorer
« on: 02 August, 2010, 02:12:32 pm »

Who's up for the Three Glens on Sunday 19th September, back in a former guise starting from Linlithgow (*).

I'm toying with the idea of adding a ride from West Edinburgh to make it up to 200k.  Subject of course to a small German ride in between.

(*) Confession time.  In 1997 when I made a woefully unfit return to cycling after a 15 year absence I entered the Three Glens.  Initially I made the unwise decision to stick with a very fast group who dropped me on the Forth Road Bridge.  The Main Street in Inverkeithing felt like hell and after grovelling woefully up the Path of Condie my condition on reaching Dunning could best be best described as "all over the place". 

I got about ¼ of the way up Dunning Common before I thought my head was going to explode and slowed to the point where I wobbled and fell into the verge.  After that, “down” was the only viable option and after feeling very embarrased about passing the odd rider climbing the hill, I ended up dawdling to Perth where I got the train home.  It’s the only time I can recall packing a calendar audax. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Three Glens Explorer
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:02:51 pm »
I'd like to support Valkyrie for this event, but I don't think we'll be back from holiday in time  :-[

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:20:02 pm »
I'm going along, knees and shoulder permitting.

I remember riding it with Valkyrie a few years ago, and being up to our axles in water.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:25:04 pm »
I'm signed up for it - I've been queen of the DNS this year but I do plan to do it!

Bairn Again

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »
A Linlithgow start ties in nicely with the bike path on the west side of the Forth Road Bridge being the only one available these days (and for the foreseeable future).

Helps riders avoid "l'enfer du nord" eg the flight of stairs required to change sides from East to West and vice versa.   ;)

I should have probably pointed out that in 1997 when I got dropped on the bridge that the event had a Linlithgow rather than a Dalmeny start. 

Although that has also happended to me.   :D 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2010, 04:26:52 pm »
I'm planning on riding it, although I've yet to enter.  I'm trying to take a few workmates to come along too.  I've just noticed that accoring to viamichelin Musselburgh is 37km from Linlithgow meaning that this would be 201km if I ride home, so I'll probably do it as an ECE.

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2010, 04:58:47 pm »

Helps riders avoid "l'enfer du nord" eg the flight of stairs required to change sides from East to West and vice versa

There's an access road loops down and under, on the south side - no need to use the stairs!

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2010, 05:54:46 pm »
I'd like to support Valkyrie for this event, but I don't think we'll be back from holiday in time  :-[

You can just send me the entry fee anyway. I aim to please  ;D

Seriously - that's a shame, would've been a good one for you and Mrs Pingu to enjoy together.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2010, 08:17:50 pm »
We will be back on the Saturday ackershally, but there will be no-one to let the kitties out of mog borstal if we both come :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:20:59 pm »
I intend riding this event and riding all the way to and from the start/finish. Hope I don't go off course this time and manage to avoid joining in the time trial at Bridge of Earn. I eventually met Mike Hood going up the hill from Dunning and chummed him to the finish.

jimbhoy

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2010, 07:14:52 am »
Sent my entry away yesterday, looking forward to it.

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:13:21 am »
+1 for starting in/near Edinburgh and making it a 200 km day.  I see the start-time in Linlithgow is a civilized 09:15, so that'll work nicely.  I'll get my entry in shortly.

The Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »
Might be able to sneek this one in with the offer of a visit to small sprogg (in Glasgow) for 'er in doors. ;)

The Mechanic

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2010, 12:49:29 pm »
Online entry sent anyway.  So easy 8)

« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2010, 01:19:29 pm »
Online entry sent anyway.  So easy 8)
+1 for that, too - my entry's in.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:28:06 pm »
That's me got ten entries now - it's getting exciting! Never before have I had total strangers (and a fair few friends) sending me money. If I get over 10,000 entries I'll just run away with the money!

Re Bairn Again's retelling of his first audax - I think most people find the first one the hardest. I certainly felt that way on my first one, the Tour of East Lothian 100. Didn't know how to pace myself and worried far too much about the time limits and getting lost. Probably used as many calories on nervous energy as I did pedalling. Anyway, it only takes one or two completed events to realise that the navigation is always pretty easy and the time limits are never a problem on the shorter rides.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »
If I get over 10,000 entries I'll just run away with the money!

A lawyer once told me, "Never run away for less than a million".  Like I needed that advice.  ::-)

Only another 199,990 or so entries to secure Valkyrie's comfortable retirement.  Roll up, roll up...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »
...Anyway, it only takes one or two completed events to realise that the navigation is always pretty easy and the time limits are never a problem on the shorter rides.

Mrs P & I did the 3 Glens Explorer a few years ago from Dalmeny (Mrs P's first 100 miler). The wind from Auchterarder to Stirling was so horrible that we were past the time limit by the control at the Italian café. However, we finished well within the time limit at Dalmeny due to a fantastic tailwind  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:11:05 am »
I've just signed up for this one also.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2010, 09:52:42 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, not going to ECE it.
Not got any ailments or injurys.
And if I remember there are a few wee hills.
So might do it on my 29ER.
XRT on an upright I hear you ask???

Bairn Again

« Reply #20 on: 24 August, 2010, 03:48:40 pm »
Right Ive entered now.

Ive also sent off an ECE addition to this event, ride to the start and back from the finish to my house in Corstorphine comfortably makes it up to a 200k (164k + 23k + 23k = 210k in fact).

Anybody from further afield who is considering doing the same is more than welcome to park at Chez G and join me.  With a 9.15am start in Linlithgow I was thinking of heading west from EH12 around 7.45am. 

« Reply #21 on: 24 August, 2010, 04:46:08 pm »
Hi there
What and how do you do an ECE ? I was thinking of riding to the start of this as well. Just get a receipt for a mars bar from your local newsagent ?
Valkyrie: Entry in the post.
Steve

Rimnod

« Reply #22 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »
On line entry.  Looking forward to it.

« Reply #23 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »
Right Ive entered now.

Ive also sent off an ECE addition to this event, ride to the start and back from the finish to my house in Corstorphine comfortably makes it up to a 200k (164k + 23k + 23k = 210k in fact).

Anybody from further afield who is considering doing the same is more than welcome to park at Chez G and join me.  With a 9.15am start in Linlithgow I was thinking of heading west from EH12 around 7.45am. 

Bairn,

I've done the same, but....  I have had to add in an extra leg as Martin Malins tells me that for the purposes of an ECE, the 3GE only equals 150km, not the actual 164km on the road.  I'll actually end up doing 230-odd km on the day to get my 2 points.  More time on the bike is never wasted time though.

RJMcB

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #24 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »

Bairn,

I've done the same, but....  I have had to add in an extra leg as Martin Malins tells me that for the purposes of an ECE, the 3GE only equals 150km, not the actual 164km on the road.  I'll actually end up doing 230-odd km on the day to get my 2 points.  More time on the bike is never wasted time though.

RJMcB

That seems strange. The event is in the calendar as a 164km ride, so did he explain how that suddenly became 14km shorter for the purposes of ECE?  When I did it last year as a DIY+calendar event there wasn't any problem with the 164km distance.