Author Topic: AAA NEW 150KM ROUTE YATMON150 2.25AAA  (Read 1754 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
AAA NEW 150KM ROUTE YATMON150 2.25AAA
« on: 24 November, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »
Here is another AAA route for you AAARTY types.  This one has just been approved and covers much of the ground close to my Gospel Pass 200 routes.  This one starts in Tewkesbury (or Monmouth), crosses to the Forest of Dean to climb Yat Rock, then to Monmouth and up to Grosmont.  Then the Monnow Valley to Garway to cross the Wye at Hoarwithy for a climb over Marcle Ridge.  So if the Winter weather denies the Gospel Pass 200 (climbs to 540m), then this 150 route (to 260m) could be a useful AAARTY route. It is a great route (I know I am biased but it really is); check SP39 on my list. Just email me for a Routesheet.
SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
Re: AAA NEW 150KM ROUTE YATMON150 2.25AAA
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:20:31 pm »
It sounds like nice local route for me, depending where the controls other than Monmouth and Tewkesbury are? A start in Grosmont would be great.  On a slightly other topic the pub at Garway would make a great control for an outside pint on a calendar event, I aim to make it so one day.

« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »
My December 200 (Kings, Castles, Priests & Churches) uses the route from back from Wormelow Tump to Tewkesbury, so if you want to get some advance route experience of part of Steve's route - get an entry in PDQ.

And my September 200 (Mr. P goes to Hay in a day). goes from Tewkesbury through to Wormelow Tump, so if you've done this ride you'll also have an idea of the ride the other way.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2010, 11:45:51 pm »
It sounds like nice local route for me, depending where the controls other than Monmouth and Tewkesbury are? A start in Grosmont would be great.  On a slightly other topic the pub at Garway would make a great control for an outside pint on a calendar event, I aim to make it so one day.

Control: Tewkesbury -(via Huntley, Mitcheldean) - Goodrich - Yat Rock- Monmouth - Grosmont- Through Garway Vill but no need for Control (does not stop from having a pint though) (Hoarwithy Br)- Much Marcle - Tewkesbury.

No ATMs in Grosmont but PO or Cafe OK and gps S/F back-up might work.

By the way, my Gospel Pass 200 goes via Grosmont.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2010, 07:24:22 pm »
You're a good advertiser (and even better organiser of course) Mr Blacksheep but getting to Tewkesbury for 7 on a winter morn is a bit of push for disorganised me.

An even bigger push might getting around that 150k in the in the winter time the PO in Grosmont is open, but as my other AAARTY rides take to 550m and 520m respectively, I might just give it a go next month and go for midday start and an evening finish at the pub :thumbsup: and a dark cycle home over Campston Hill.