Author Topic: Top tips for going longer  (Read 73528 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Top tips for going longer
« Reply #275 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:27:13 am »
if we are doing "what's my heart rate" last time I looked the max was about 190 and the resting 45

I am 45 years young

Everyone is different and it doesn't "mean anything"

border-rider

« Reply #276 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:31:01 am »
When racing, the knowledge of one's HR is for 'interest only'. It not going to stop one from trying to win.

We're not talking about racing

For long audaxs, HRMs can be a useful way to pace yourself and ensure that you're riding at a sustainable pace (and also not dawdling: something I'm prone to if riding on my own). It's very handy in the first 30k to look at your HR and thing "ah, that's a bit fast for me" and let that group go.  This is particularly so for something like PBP, where the mad dash out of Paris leads to many people overcooking it.

On early-season/training rides they're very, very useful for keeping the pace down to develop fat metabolism and to allow you to raise it in a controlled way as you get more miles in that way

« Reply #277 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:37:35 am »
I nearly always wear a hrm on audaxes. On the days when I'm feeling like pushing it a bit and getting involved in the chase I keep a close eye on it to get a balance between pushing hard enough to improve fitness and not overdoing it so that I blow up with 50k to go. Thus far I have found it a very fruitful approach. 

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #278 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:42:51 am »
I nearly always wear a hrm on audaxes. On the days when I'm feeling like pushing it a bit and getting involved in the chase I keep a close eye on it to get a balance between pushing hard enough to improve fitness and not overdoing it so that I blow up with 50k to go. Thus far I have found it a very fruitful approach. 

I don't wear one - just drop the HAMMER from the start

simonp

« Reply #279 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:50:57 am »
You don't need to stick right in the fat zone. If the ratio is 50/50 then you can go to 60/40 and you don't have massive glycogen depletion. After your work-out the body switches to burning more fat at rest in order to preserve glycogen.

I agree that going hard day after day is too much. But since maximal fat burn is at 50% vo2max, increasing your vo2max will increase your ability to burn fat on longer rides since you can do the same pace at lower %vo2max. Vo2max is best increased by interval training.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #280 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:52:09 am »

1. I have a high maximum even for a 34 year old, no problem according to the cardiologist I spoke to after an ECG. I regularly see 200bpm on the HR monitor when playing 5-a-side and have seen 205bpm as a maximum, here's a typical HR plot from two 5-a-side games (1st match finished after 20 minutes, next one started at 25 minutes but I was in goal until ~35 minutes): http://www.greenbank.org/misc/hr_football.jpg There's an almost 10 minute section in there where I don't dip below 180bpm and I can generally keep that up for a full hour (with a 10 minute rest in goal somewhere in the middle).

That, to me, is quite incredible.
There is no need to be intimidated by those with super-high heart rates. They're just using very low (internal) gearing.

GB at 180bpm generates the same power as a stronger athlete might at, say, 135.

Because you can't get something-for-nothing, he has to pay for this at some point - that's why he rides fixed. So to find his true effective physiological cadence, multiply his HR by his gear-ratio.

There is a calculator to help you do all this somewhere on his website (written in Java++4GPS, I expect). Do not attempt to use it with less than 8GB of RAM.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #281 on: 15 April, 2011, 09:52:39 am »
I have never used a HRM when on the bike ( only the turbo ).

It distracts the mind from the 'matter in hand'.

Cycling one-handed is dangerous.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #282 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:02:52 am »

With a full English and a chocolate plug at the first control  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #283 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:03:05 am »
There are other ways to do things. Henry Kingman was the first unsupported finisher for PBP99 (sub-50 hr) on a diet of (mostly) Gu and predominately on short distance, high intensity training.
PBP story for RUSA Journal

Mods: feel free to move this to wherever is most appropriate.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #284 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:25:06 am »

On the BIG ring or the BIGGER ring?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #285 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:30:20 am »

With a full English and a chocolate plug at the first control  ;D

don't give away all the secrets

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #286 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:35:38 am »
There are other ways to do things. Henry Kingman was the first unsupported finisher for PBP99 (sub-50 hr) on a diet of (mostly) Gu and predominately on short distance, high intensity training.
PBP story for RUSA Journal

Mods: feel free to move this to wherever is most appropriate.
Excellent stuff! Enough material there for several threads of discussion  :thumbsup:

(are you sure he's not an Aussie?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #287 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:33:16 pm »
It's about being fitter. I'm far fitter now than 18 months ago just post LEL. The official time for my first 200k this season is 9h20. That would make it my fastest yet.

I ate: some muesli for breakfast before riding to the start (34km or so) where I had a coffee with Nick Jackson. I worked hard on the first stage to keep up with Jo, and ate a piece of cake and a coffee then pushed on with him. Back to the hq at half way and had a bacon sandwich and a coffee then off again. Hard herts section to Baldock with Jo for apple pie with custard; I ate a bit of oat bar on this stage. Back to the finish to find we were 8th and 9th out of 52 riders. Rolling average wasn't unusually fast at 25kph but being able to get by on much less food than I used to saves time and keeps the digestion happier. Think I only drank about 1.5-2l of torq energy and was actually dehydrated during the second half too.

Same on the Elenith. Didn't eat large portions, kept topped up with energy drink, was still riding well at the end. But pretty tired from riding fixed. :)

« Reply #288 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »
I've done plenty of 200s and am looking forward to my first 300 next weekend, and feel ready for it (famous last words).  :-\

In my experience a 200 is 'just' a long day in the saddle but going longer takes in new territory. I'd welcome what your most important tip is for not only a 300 but going through to an SR, and if lucky enough to qualify and get a place, PBP.

It might be mental approach, kit, control and feeding strategy, or how to approach night riding when your body or mind says you should be in bed or in the pub.

So far the most important thing I've learnt through experience is that there often comes a moment on rides when you wander why you turned up, but that moment passes and the happy days return; that knowledge gets me through the dark spots.

What I have in enthusiasm I lack in experience, so first hand tips gratefully received. Hopefully a few of this parish may agree on a few key points which will help me greatly.

Thanks.
I suggest let your body tell you when to rest, when to eat but if you get bored just enjoy the bike and not think of the miles.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #289 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:12:47 pm »
Just think, approximately 10% of the world's population will have died since the previous post in that thread was written.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #290 on: 30 December, 2017, 07:27:35 am »
I wonder if Charlie Boy has ridden much since? Has he bagged that magical 300??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #291 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
Clearly I misread some of the info the first time I read this thread. Im now 2 stone heavier and considerably slower but at least Im not one of the 10%, ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #292 on: 30 December, 2017, 04:10:23 pm »

I'm pretty certain he's done that and more.

« Reply #293 on: 30 December, 2017, 04:36:26 pm »
The web link on his OP says -

"Among his Palmares are the Raid Pyrenean and the gruelling 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris randonee having qualified with a series of rides including 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km events, as well as countless tours both long and short."

So looks like he did make it!

« Reply #294 on: 30 December, 2017, 04:36:36 pm »
But did he last longer? :demon:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #295 on: 30 December, 2017, 05:33:55 pm »
The web link on his OP says -

"Among his Palmares are the Raid Pyrenean and the gruelling 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris randonee having qualified with a series of rides including 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km events, as well as countless tours both long and short."

So looks like he did make it!

A Happy Ending!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

dim

« Reply #296 on: 30 December, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
I use my heart rate as a guideline when I ride ....

however, I'm seriously thinking of getting a powermeter this year and I'm intersted to hear if anyone who rides long distance uses the data from the powermeter in conjuction with the HRM?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #297 on: 30 December, 2017, 07:01:55 pm »
I've never really gone for a power meter due to the cost Vs both HRM and other things I perceive as more beneficial, but I do use the hrm extensively. HR is effectively a proxy for effort, hence power, so would a power meter add much other than giving you more data on your HR/power equation?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #298 on: 30 December, 2017, 10:03:41 pm »

I am planning comeback.  ;D
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #299 on: 30 December, 2017, 11:53:52 pm »
I use a power meter. It gives me an unambiguous indicator of when I’m slacking or when I’m hanging onto the back of a group that’s too fast for me. I find it incredibly useful.

I’ve never used an HRM, so can’t compare the two.