Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425505 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1700 on: 26 December, 2017, 06:52:24 pm »
Thought I'd jot down where I'm at with my RRTY. My first ever audax was in May this year and it wasn't until July that I even realised RRTY was a thing. Needless to say, I'm pretty determined to stay on course to bag this on the first attempt. Here's my current status:

May         - Sam Weller's April Foolery 200 (My 1st Audax)

June          - SP21 Gospel Pass 200 Perm
                 - DIY 200 Lacock to Brighton

July            - Peregrine Mountain Roads 300
                  - Cheddar Gorge 300 Perm
                  - Also DNF'd Mille Pennines after 609km

August       - DIY 200 Lacock to Bracknell
                  - DNF'd Cambrian Series 4D a couple of times!

September - NPS2A Andy Corless 200 Perm
                  - Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 600

October     -  AAAnfractious 200

November - Upper Thames 200

December - SP46 Glocs, Wilts and Mendips 200 Perm

Quite chuffed with the way 2017 has gone. Roll on 2018!

« Reply #1701 on: 27 December, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »
My first attempt still going...

Oct - Autumn Rivers 200
Nov - SP25 Perm Severn Bridge High Loop
Dec - SP26 Perm SE Oxford Loop

« Reply #1702 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:11:09 am »
Thought my RRTY run was over tried the Solstice and ended having a slow breakfast! don't think the flu jab helped , managed to get permission and rode a perm on the 30 th December 8 weeks after my last 200  a bit windy  near Marked Drayton  then a tail wind for the last 60 km , year 14 started .Why do we do it ?

« Reply #1703 on: 06 January, 2018, 06:41:13 pm »
You must really like AWE!

« Reply #1704 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:24:22 pm »
Thought my RRTY run was over tried the Solstice and ended having a slow breakfast! don't think the flu jab helped , managed to get permission and rode a perm on the 30 th December 8 weeks after my last 200  a bit windy  near Marked Drayton  then a tail wind for the last 60 km , year 14 started .Why do we do it ?

Stop!

No, it's too late, he's off on another one.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1705 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:41:39 am »
7 months in... but it will take a very mild day in January to convince me it is a good idea to do a 200. We had a handful in December, but looking at mid term forecasts, I can't see anything of the sort...

ATM an aborted attempt sounds more sensible than a broken collarbone/pneumonia

« Reply #1706 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:22:53 am »
The conditions in Flanders were good enough for a 200 BRM on saturday. 80 randonneurs at the start in Oudenburg but I guess that not everyone wants to do a RRtY.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1707 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »
I am about to put together my report for RRtYs in 2017, so if you have a claim finishing in Dec 2017 or an earlier month, please send it in the next day or so in order to see your name in lights (well in Arrivee anyway).
So far I have processed 265 claims since the same time last year - another increase in activity :)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1708 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:29:53 am »
Since completing No 26 in July, I have been racking up the rides to keep 27 & 28 active. Can now report last Saturday’s Severn Br Perm 200 (6 Jan) completed No 27 (subject to Validation). Just need to catch a decent weather window to keep 28 going!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #1709 on: 21 January, 2018, 11:37:32 am »
Interesting to read in the Annual reports that around 250 did RRTY last year (and I was one of them) but nearly twice as many did an SR.
From my point of view I'd have always believed the latter were in a much more exclusive club as I can't see me ever getting near a 600, but perhaps these high achievers don't feel it's worth the grind/risk of those winter 200's.
Anyway, makes me feel just a little smug  :smug:
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1710 on: 21 January, 2018, 12:53:08 pm »
Interesting to read in the Annual reports that around 250 did RRTY last year (and I was one of them) but nearly twice as many did an SR.
It is an interesting point, but bear in mind that SRs are calculated automatically whereas RRtYs have to be manually claimed. My guess is that some members do RRtY series but don't bother to claim, especially if they have claimed in the past and already appear on the roll of honour. Therefore the numbers of riders actually completing RRtYs is most likely greater than the number I report. I am about to do the statistics for 2017 and I will work out the percentage of first time claimants. I think it's quite high, which would support my theory  ie members like to to make sure they claim the first achievement but may not be too bothered to claim subsequent series they complete.

However this doesn't take anything away from your achievement - well done  :)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1711 on: 21 January, 2018, 01:22:53 pm »
It is arguably easier to ride 600 km in June than it is to ride 200 in January... that might explain.

Besides, SR is historically an Audax achievement, RRTY is a made up thing

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #1712 on: 21 January, 2018, 02:35:47 pm »
It is an interesting point, but bear in mind that SRs are calculated automatically whereas RRtYs have to be manually claimed. My guess is that some members do RRtY series but don't bother to claim, especially if they have claimed in the past and already appear on the roll of honour.

Good point, but feeling a little  less :) now, more  :(
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #1713 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
You only have to do four rides any time in the season to get an SR. To do RRTY you have to do at least 12 and match them up neatly with calendar months with no gaps. I suspect there are a lot of “accidental” SRs and very few unplanned RRTYs.

« Reply #1714 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:39:26 pm »
hello just a quick one , I'm a bit new to the idea of attempting a rrty . do i have to notify anyone ? or do i start attempt a 200k each month and if completing twelve then pursue a claim ?
may i start in any month ?
im guessing i may use perms and or DIY in addition to calendar events?
may i use the same perm more than once ?
and I'm guessing all rides are 200k or greater ?

thank you in advance for any replies , always appreciated .
kind regards
pinky

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1715 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »
Good point, but feeling a little  less :) now, more  :(
Sorry, that wasn't the intention... even with the logic above there are still more SRs than achieved RRtYs I think, given the big discrepancy in numbers. In fact the numbers of riders successfully completing RRtYs is smaller than the 250 in the report, as there are some serial nutters keen riders who seem to think it's a good idea to do multiple series in one year.

I suspect there are ........ very few unplanned RRTYs.
I think there are some RRtYs that weren't initially planned but later became the subject of detailed and determined planning. Also quite a few "unplanned" RRtY failures when a month is missed for whatever reason and it's back to the beginning of the year again.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1716 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:50:59 pm »
Hi, quick answers for you in bold...
hello just a quick one , I'm a bit new to the idea of attempting a rrty . do i have to notify anyone ? No
or do i start attempt a 200k each month and if completing twelve then pursue a claim ? Yes
may i start in any month ? Yes and if you already have some 200km rides in consecutive months on your record you have already started!
im guessing i may use perms and or DIY in addition to calendar events? Yes, anything that appears on your AUK results page is fine
may i use the same perm more than once ? Yes (this is surprisingly common!)
and I'm guessing all rides are 200k or greater ? Absolutely....although a 100km calendar + 100km ECE is just fine as it shows 2 points on your results page

thank you in advance for any replies , always appreciated .
kind regards
pinky

Oh and you do have to be a member of AUK......

Welcome to the magic roundabout, look forward to receiving your claim in due course  :)

« Reply #1717 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:21:11 pm »
January ticked off yesterday with Dr Foster’s Winter Warmer. 3 to go...

« Reply #1718 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
Completed the third ride of my inaugural attempt by completing Dr Foster's Winter Warmer. I had entered Blacksheep's January Sale ride two weeks earlier but DNS due to flu. I was still not feeling 100% on Saturday but wanted to give it a crack.

I drove from Cheltenham to the start and found it with no issues and had time to grab a coffee and bacon roll at the nearby Starbucks. Distribution of cards was efficient and I was off. I rode in a group for the first stage making good progress and had the novel (for me) experience of leaving other riders behind and was on my own when I got to the old Severn Bridge. This was the first time I rode over it which was a novel experience and I felt strong as I arrived at Berkley for the first control.

The stage up to Gloucester was ok but the heavy traffic around Gloucester combined with some tiredness and my Sealskinz gloves becoming waterlogged lead to me starting to struggle a bit. I was glad to see the warehouses at the docks and the Cathedral and did consider a quick diversion to a cafe but pushed on.

For the next 30 odd km I was struggling and was overtaken by a few riders. A break in a bus stop (genuine audaxer) helped sort me out and I made good progress to Symonds Yat where I decided to forego a stop at the Saracens Head. I refueled at the garage in Monmouth and had a good chat with the guy serving who was a cyclist himself and gave me some welcome encouragement.

I rode the final leg as the light faded and my Garmin Edge 820 paid back a slice of it's hefty purchase price as it navigated me around the cycle paths the organised on this stretch. I was looking forward to the end of the ride but it had two stings in it's tail - a steep climb in Newport then another climb up Druidstone Hill. I got back to start with 30 minutes to spare and stowed my bike inside my car before going into the pub to get my brevet card validated. I had a nice chat with the organizer and enjoyed the free drink before heading home.

I was happy to have completed the ride in time given my slight illness, the unending drizzle and not having rode any significant distance for six weeks. Looking forward to the next ride (Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma) on 3rd Feb.

« Reply #1719 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:10:40 am »
My first attempt still going...

Oct - Autumn Rivers 200

Oct - Autumn Rivers 200
Jan - Mr Pickwick's January Sale

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1720 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:30:35 pm »
I had almost given up, in this awful January, but then today it was a lovely early spring day, with enough breeze to make it challenging... so I bought myself another month

Now 8 months in, 4 to go

https://www.strava.com/activities/1379771375

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #1721 on: 01 February, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »
We know what it is........
June 2017 - Ditchling Devil and EWE Baa Perm
July 2017 - Jack Eason Stuggle + 100km ECE and Around Weald Expedition Perm
Aug 2017 - Ditchling Devil Perm and EWE Baa Perm
Sept 2017 - Rowlands RAAAmble and Greenwich Mean Climb
Oct 2017 - Meridian Hills Perm, AAAnfractuous, Around Weald Expedition Perm
Nov 2017 - Meridian Hills Perm, Around Weald Expedition Perm
Dec 2017 - Around Weald Expedition Perm and Meridian Hills Perm
Jan 2018 - Around Weald Expedition Perm and Meridian Hills Perm
Feb 2018 - Around Weald Expedition Perm

I bested every single hill today, for the first time. I felt amazing today - NGiNE energy drink is undoubtedly what was in Wiggo's brown bag.
Rule 77

« Reply #1722 on: 01 February, 2018, 11:48:37 pm »
Hi, quick answers for you in bold...
I'm guessing all rides are 200k or greater ? Absolutely....although a 100km calendar + 100km ECE is just fine as it shows 2 points on your results page

A quick (and pedantic) addition - they must be BR or BRM, as implied by bhoot's comment about points showing. There aren't many 200km+ BP events, but there are rare exceptions (like some on BlackSheep's This Is Not A Tour weekend, eg http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-466/), and it would be a shame to get caught out.

« Reply #1723 on: 02 February, 2018, 11:23:45 am »
2012 :thumbsup:
2013 :thumbsup:
2014 :thumbsup:
2015 :thumbsup:
2016 :thumbsup:

Scottish Borders Randonnee 200 18 Mar 2017 :thumbsup:
Easter Fleches to York 400 14 Apr 2017 :thumbsup:
The Hot Trod 400 20 May 2017  :thumbsup:
A Pair of Kirtons 600 03 Jun 2017  :thumbsup:
Moffat Toffee 200 01 Jul 2017  :thumbsup:
The Southern Uplands 400 12 Aug 2017  :thumbsup:
Borders of Fife 200 23 Sep 2017  :thumbsup:
Etal-u-Can 200 14 Oct 2017  :thumbsup:
The Long Dark Teatime of an Audax Soul 200 04 Nov 2017  :thumbsup:
DIY by GPS 200 03 Dec 2017  :thumbsup:
DIY by GPS 200 13 Jan 2018  :thumbsup:

With only one more month required for year 6, this has been an accidental RRTY. 

I better get planning
@CorbieLinnRider

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1724 on: 03 February, 2018, 06:47:44 pm »
So a coming-out post.
A first go at this schoopit malarkey.

Nov 200 DIYxGPS
Dec 200 DIYxGPS
Jan 200 DIYxGPS
Feb 200 DIYxGPS