Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471407 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2350 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:39:27 am »
Mine has arrived.
Only had a cursory glance so far.
I note few Mileaters entered the >10,000 camp.
The Mileater sec report said that >10k claims were up on last year, and I think he said mileages/claims were up overall.  Purely FYI :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2351 on: 12 September, 2018, 01:10:34 pm »
Yes, miles. Pat did his many miles around a fulltime job.

So does HK & so did I.
You were working shifts as well?

No nights but 2pm-10pm slots interspersed with 'day' shifts...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2352 on: 12 September, 2018, 03:37:16 pm »
I think the point about dear ol' Pat was that he did many of his miles while on the clock - while being paid - quite legitimately.

I remember dear ol' Rocco riding a 200 with us in Shropshire, around 1990 this would be -
Rocco: (out of the corner of his mouth) "who's that bloke on the trike?"
Me: (a bit taken aback by the question) "er, that's Pat, you know, Pat Kenny"
Rocco: "Pat Kenny?  Pat KENNY?  PAT Kenny?  You mean - " (mouthing without any sound) "PAT KENNY?"
(Pat had long been a legend in trialling circles as a hard man, a setter and holder of multiple road records - just not in Rocco's neck of the woods.)

Shortly after that we came to a gated road, and Rocco was quick to dismount and hold the gate open, I almost thought when Pat passed through Rocco was going to throw his jacket down onto the road, Walter Raleigh-style - I'm fairly sure I saw him bow a little.  They rapidly became firm friends, of course.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2353 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:22:36 pm »
To divert this thread (slightly) I do wonder about the exclusivity of the two pages of advertorial. (60/61). I think it should be balanced by 'How to start Audax by spending less.

« Reply #2354 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:32:39 pm »
Didn't realise the Humber bridge (p7) was so small...

igmc...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2355 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:17:16 pm »
I’m reading this about as fast as I cycle, but I really enjoyed Helen Karrane’s piece. There’s fantastic recollection of the sort of detail that I see as I ride and fail to put in what I write, and the sense that she’s doing something audacious is right there.

Ben T

« Reply #2356 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:36:00 pm »
Our new letterbox just passed the Arrivée test.
ah - very OT question: i've also just fitted a new letterbox... but is the brush supposed to go at the front or the back and is there a reason?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2357 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:28:14 am »

igmc...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Hope this helps.
:)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2358 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:59:12 am »
To divert this thread (slightly) I do wonder about the exclusivity of the two pages of advertorial. (60/61).

I agree.  Compounded in this case by pages 26-28, and the cover photo and accompanying article of the previous issue.
It's not the first time that Arrivee has fallen into this trap, I recall in the past a 2-page feature by Pete Matthews the wheel builder that drew some criticism.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2359 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:21:07 am »
It's marked as a promotional feature so presumably any brand could promote their bike in the same way for £600, if anyone else thought it worthwhile.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2360 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:15:10 pm »
So it is.  I missed that.  Fair enough then.  (Though it's still rather easy to believe that someone on the editorial staff may have a personal connection with a Sussex framebuilder.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2361 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:12:38 pm »
They shouldn't have been - all 38 names were submitted with the article... My copy isn't here yet so I'll see when it gets here...

Looks like the second half of the list was replaced by a photo   :(

Editor failed to spell Kajsa's surname consistently twice on one page. I am very sensitive about this!

« Reply #2362 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:16:37 pm »

« Reply #2363 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:07:26 pm »

igmc...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Hope this helps.
:)

I got to refer to that while talking to a guide for 'Ted Tours' who was dressed as a nun, and taking a hen party dressed as nuns round 'Father Ted' sites in County Clare. Audax Ireland were using Father Ted's house as a control, and we started out by filming, but gradually mutated into a pair of Mrs Doyles.
This surreal episode features from 2.30 in this short film.

« Reply #2364 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »
 :)   Just seen that Father Ted's house features on p40/41.

« Reply #2365 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:33:28 am »
I’m reading this about as fast as I cycle, but I really enjoyed Helen Karrane’s piece. There’s fantastic recollection of the sort of detail that I see as I ride and fail to put in what I write, and the sense that she’s doing something audacious is right there.

Thanks! I'm blushing on this side of the Irish sea!

When it's just you and a bike and radio reception varies from valley to valkey then you have plenty of time to take in your environs.

I'm not sure if Arrivée wants/needs an Irish correspondent but I usually write something about most of my rides. It's howI learned about Audax from reading other's experiences.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2366 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:53:57 am »
I think the piece about Kajsa Tylen is a bit untimely... The feat was done nearly two years ago and in the meantime it has been demolished by AC, who went over twice the distance.

It's a bit like if PRO cycling published an article about Rohan Dennis' hour record now...  ::-)

« Reply #2367 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:05:59 pm »
I think the piece about Kajsa Tylen is a bit untimely... The feat was done nearly two years ago and in the meantime it has been demolished by AC, who went over twice the distance.

It's a bit like if PRO cycling published an article about Rohan Dennis' hour record now...  ::-)
Can't please everyone, I enjoyed it, doesn't have to be a current record to be a good story.  Different record, ride, regulation and story to Amanda Coker's anyway, though I'd be just as interested to read about that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2368 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:38:34 pm »

Thanks! I'm blushing on this side of the Irish sea!

When it's just you and a bike and radio reception varies from valley to valkey then you have plenty of time to take in your environs.

I'm not sure if Arrivée wants/needs an Irish correspondent but I usually write something about most of my rides. It's howI learned about Audax from reading other's experiences.

I loved the bit about not even bothering to put your shoes on, as you knew there was a steep climb straight out of the control/pub/caff/hotel/whatever  ;D Best laugh in Arrivee for a while.

(and well done - it looks like a proper epic ride  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2369 on: 14 September, 2018, 10:19:47 pm »
Straight out of Llangollen, about 1km from the bridge, it hits 20% for 400m.

I should have called it a duathlon, the amount of walking I did. Then again I did have about 10kg luggage on the bike including water. I was pretty self sufficient for three days.

I don't usually walk at all, when I did the Liege-Bastogne-Liege sportive in 2014, all 279km. I was riding 39x28 and I'd have killed for compact gearing but I got up every single climb.

BTW, In the article I know I moan about Welsh roads but it's mostly tongue in cheek! Irish roads aren't much better in many cases and hey, this is Audax.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2370 on: 15 September, 2018, 07:40:17 am »
I loved the article. And chapeau for audacity!  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2371 on: 15 September, 2018, 08:05:49 am »

Can't please everyone, I enjoyed it, doesn't have to be a current record to be a good story.  Different record, ride, regulation and story to Amanda Coker's anyway, though I'd be just as interested to read about that.
I'd be quite happy to read an interivew with Rohan Dennis focusing on his hour record, but with a bit about his recent road-racing. (In Cyling Weekly OR Arrivee).

People are still buying/reading books/articles about Lance Armstrong, and riders 40 years earlier - try and look beyond the latest "News" if you want to find interest!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #2372 on: 17 September, 2018, 05:33:25 pm »
Found this issue of Arrivee consistently interesting.   
Well done to Editor and Contributers!  :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2373 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »

Got back from Hell to find my copy of Awoowoo in the letter box (as well as my TCRno6 news paper). Am looking forward to a quiet evening curled up with a beer and a good read!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2374 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
A quick scan through the latest one. Meh. I really am over it.

Noticed the advert for a Web Content Manager near the back mind; I, and at least one other person, offered to do such a thing several years ago, nice to see AUK finally catching on...