Author Topic: Watership Down 100 - 11th January 2015  (Read 3101 times)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
Watership Down 100 - 11th January 2015
« on: 06 January, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »
Happy New year to you all ....who's signed up for this to try and shift some of the Christmas plumage?  I've tried to ride this local'ish event a couple of times ...first time is was cancelled due to snow and ice and the second time I was stricken with man flu......3rd time lucky I hope!  I think a few of Audax Club Portsmouth will be cycling up to the start early doors and I'm sure a loose plan will emerge this wednesday at the Woodmancote.   :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Watership Down 100 - 11th January 2015
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:12:01 pm »
I expect there will me a meeting of midriffs at Micks Burger Van around 7am on the Saturday. I am riding and so is Postie.

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »
I expect there will me a meeting of midriffs at Micks Burger Van around 7am on the Saturday. I am riding and so is Postie.

H

marvellous ....Sponican is riding too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:45:43 pm »
It was one of my favourite events last year. If it wasn't so far away I'd be there again this year :)
Does not play well with others

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2015, 10:00:47 pm »
It was one of my favourite events last year. If it wasn't so far away I'd be there again this year :)

Other Rabbits will be there.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2015, 07:27:32 am »
I'll be at Mick's for 6:45 for bacon sarnie and tea before rolling out with ACP soon after 7  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2015, 03:10:58 pm »
I was thinking of doing it but entries have closed; it's full up.

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:19:25 pm »

You can always join us for the ride to the start and then plot a route back via Gander Down. That makes a nice morning ride.

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:42:35 am »

worth contacting the organizer as there may now be spaces if some people are unable to ride on Sunday.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:00:58 pm »
I was going to ride the route (I didn't enter) but I'm at the tail-end of a terrible chest cold/flu and don't want to jeopardise my recovery so I'll give it a miss.

I'm going stir-crazy in 2015.

Have fun, it's a lovely ride.  I may drive to the start to grab some photos.

Hummers

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »
A very fine day awheel and (as always), a first ride of the season classic.

A group of 6 of us headed out from Micks at around 07:20 to get to Kings Worthy for just before 9.

Blimey, it was pretty busy and I mucked in to help with collecting/sluicing out the cups as there was the most people I have seen on this ride in the last...ermmm...6 years  ???

Left about 15 mins after the start and gradually caught up the field and my chums at the first control - which was pretty busy.

After that I rode with John and Pete but on the approach to Coombe hill, I was suddenly aware that my legs wouldn't work  :facepalm: This was due to a number of issues a) I had gone far too fast to catch up my chums, b) I was a stone heavier than when I rode this last year and c) I ma sure that it is due to me starting this ride for the first time completely sober  O:-)

Still, Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps got the legs back on line and the 4 of us (we were joined by John Rosbottom) rode the rest of the route together.

Many cups of tea, cake, soup and more tea saw us fit for the for the ride back to Pompey via Gander Down and the Meon Valley  :thumbsup:

Perfect.

H

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #11 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:48:51 am »
Looking forward to the 2018 iteration just after Christmas.

Any top tips, apart from weather-related precaution? :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2017, 02:26:54 pm »
Entered early as I will be on my way to Bournemouth later that day.  However, not been on a bike for 9-weeks now and the last two and a half weeks were mainly in bed with some sort of Winter virus which also stopped me from eating.  Have lost nearly 3-stone in weight though which is good!!

Just starting to get over it a bit now but wondering if it is too late having lost so much fitness.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2017, 06:20:46 pm »
I really must ride this event one day. It's too far away to be an easy adventure, but certainly doable if the weather isn't absurd...

Is it 11th Jan this year??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2017, 08:25:51 pm »
I really must ride this event one day. It's too far away to be an easy adventure, but certainly doable if the weather isn't absurd...

Is it 11th Jan this year??

It was already full last week when I was thinking about entering.....
Reine de la Fauche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 20 December, 2017, 10:10:49 am »
In that case I think I'll be washing my hair that day.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2018, 11:07:36 pm »
Just getting over a chest-cold (Becoming somewhat of a Christmas tradition unfortunately) but my Thursday Club/Pub ride felt OK, despite getting soaked in constant rain the BBC weather people totally failed to notice.

My plan is to turn it into a 100 miler and ride to start and back as it's my "local" Audax.  My only concern is ice on Sunday.  I've done the ride several times and, on occasion, have had difficulty even walking down some of the frozen north-facing slopes around Coombe Gibbet on the Andover/Newbury Downs.

I'll see on the morning what the roads are like but I desperately need both my collar-bones at the moment so I'll err on the side of caution.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2018, 05:57:14 pm »
The weather was merciful in the end - sunshine from the start and I didn't hit any ice on the roads (saw a few frozen puddles on the verges though). Also no road rage all day. It was a great day out with  a scenic and challenging route.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:03:52 pm »
The weather was merciful in the end - sunshine from the start and I didn't hit any ice on the roads (saw a few frozen puddles on the verges though). Also no road rage all day. It was a great day out with  a scenic and challenging route.

Great ride today.  I could have done without the winds but it's early January and I've skated down a few of the hills in previous years.  I'll take winds over Ice any day.

I made it 105 miles by riding to/from but the ride home, North, into the bloody wind again, was very tough.  I didn't have a lot left tbh.

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:59:40 am »
Having had a nasty winter virus for over 4-weeks, I had to give this one a miss although I did do about half of the course starting over an hour later and cutting across thru' Whitchurch to Laverstoke and then back from there to see the first couple of finishers and well under 4.5 hours.

« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:31:44 pm »
I made it 105 miles by riding to/from but the ride home, North, into the bloody wind again, was very tough.  I didn't have a lot left tbh.

A great ride yesterday ... I've ridden a few Watership Downs but that was one of the best.  The clarity of the views from the hills was superb.  As for the wind, the return from Burghclere was brilliant.  Our ride back to Romsey afterwards was SW'ly and it was an absolute blast!
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...