Poll

Where do you think we should have the unofficial finish meet?

Postern Gate
21 (84%)
Just go where you want and don't bother about organising anything
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Easter Arrow Meet Up at the Finish Poll  (Read 6399 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Easter Arrow Meet Up at the Finish Poll
« Reply #25 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »
I've just made v1.0 of our route, and I have it finishing at the Postern Gate in the absence of any better idea.

« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
The Postern Gate is waaaay better equipped to handle a load of cyclists. Whether you'd rather boycott 'spoons though, I don't know.

I'm sure a lot of independent-er places would open specifically, mind.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
I wouldn't boycott 'spoons for last year. Seems rather petty given no-one (including myself) warned them of a hundred + cyclists turning up and given other lower key events inc. Teethgrinder 2years ago. The ACME teams amongst others may be significantly hit by such a thing.

What was unfortunate was having Chris  and Martin actually present as everyone arrived as it put a lot of unnecessary pressure on both of them both volunteers from THE MANAGEMENT

It makes sense to try and 'warn' any other destination in future
 Although the downside to a chain is if they pass "information" on, it's much less risk to an establishment that might depend on x hundred cyclists arriving if only 20 arrive because of bad weather.

I've only ridden a couple, but one of the attractions of the Arrow is to see everyone at the finish instead of the start as per every other Calender event.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:22:29 am »
I wouldn't boycott 'spoons for last year. Seems rather petty given no-one (including myself) warned them of a hundred + cyclists turning up and given other lower key events inc. Teethgrinder 2years ago. The ACME teams amongst others may be significantly hit by such a thing.
I don't think a "Spoons boycott" has been suggested - just moving from the Punchbowl. Local knowledge says there is a much better option - the Postern.

What was unfortunate was having Chris  and Martin actually present as everyone arrived as it put a lot of unnecessary pressure on both of them both volunteers from THE MANAGEMENT

Could you expand on this? I dont understand this, or how it impacts future events. Sorry if I'm being thick!

I've only ridden a couple, but one of the attractions of the Arrow is to see everyone at the finish instead of the start as per every other Calender event.

Totally agree  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #29 on: 21 January, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »
I don't think a "Spoons boycott" has been suggested - just moving from the Punchbowl. Local knowledge says there is a much better option - the Postern.

Maybe I wrongly inferred that from D.A.L.E.'s post above.

Could you expand on this? I dont understand this, or how it impacts future events. Sorry if I'm being thick

Didn't express it very well. I thought it was great that they were there but it appeared to me that having been identified as 'people in charge' they were put under pressure by the bar management to mediate/solve a problem that neither of them had created. I felt sorry that they were put in that situation.

I don't see it having any effect on future events though.

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick