Linked Events

• Reggie Ride 2:65 Miles of Flat: 22 August, 2009

Author Topic: Reggie Ride II: 65 Miles of Flat - 22 August 2009  (Read 28018 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Reggie Ride II: 65 Miles of Flat - 22 August 2009
« on: 15 July, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »
OK folks...

Following the success of the Reggie Ride to Regicide I would like to announce the

Reggie Ride II: 65 Miles of Flat

The Saturday Ride

Meeting:

We will be meeting outside Cambridge Station for a 10.30 a.m. departure

Those coming from London should aim to catch the 9.15 a.m. Cambridge Express from Kings Cross.  This arrives at 10.01 a.m.

If you are coming by car, we would recommend that you park in one of the Park & Ride sites on the outskirts of the city and cycle into the station.  It is free to park in the Park & Rides and they are covered by CCTV.

First Leg:

The first part of the ride will be mainly on roads through the city and out towards Ely.  They may be fairly busy but if you can cope with cycling in London then you can cope with the traffic in Cambridge and the surrounding areas.  

We head out of the city along the B1049 Histon Road, passing through Histon and on to Cottenham (where we’ll have a brief stop by the church with the ornate tower).

It is then on along the B1049 (signed as Twenty Pence Road and those of you who came on Reggie Ride I will know the road) to Wilburton.  There is short sharp climb up into Wilburton.  We then turn left and head up the hill into Haddenham, along the A1123.  We then turn down the hill from Haddenham on the A1421 and then right on to the quiet Ely Way.

We go through the fen and up to Wentworth, where we cross the A142 onto Long Causeway to Coveney.  From there on in the roads are quiet country lanes.

We will meet the Ely contingent on the junction of the B1411 and High Road, to the west of Little Downham.

Little Downham Onwards:

After Little Downham, we follow the B1411 westwards through Pyemore, then northwards towards Welney.  We have about 1 mile on the A1101 before we join the quiet country road, alongside the New Bedford River (or Hundred Foot Drain), to the Welney Wetland Centre where we will have lunch (café menu to follow).

After lunch, we cross Hilgay Fen to Ten Mile Bank, where we turn to follow the River Great Ouse to Denver Sluice.  From the Sluice we head into Denver and on into Downham Market.

We will use main roads to get through Downham Market, as the NCN Route is rather roundabout and tortuous.  We head out of Downham Market along the B1507, turning off towards Wimbotsham and then on to Runcton Holme and Watlington.

We then head along the Ouse towards Kings Lynn, with the last part of the journey being along the banks of the river to the quayside.

We will then drop those who are catching the train back at the station, before heading back out from Kings Lynn to North Runcton, where those of us staying overnight will be camping at the Kings Lynn Caravan and Camping site.  The cost of the site is £6 per person.

If you wish to camp overnight, please confirm your attendance by Friday 14 August.

The Sunday Rides

Wobbly John has offered to lead the ride back on Sunday, from Kings Lynn to Littleport.  This will be slightly more ‘scenic’ (a.k.a. lumpy) than the Saturday route.

I will then lead the ride back from Littleport to Cambridge, via Ely, Wicken Fen and Burwell.  Those who attended Reggie Ride I will know this as the route out to Ely.  There are several patches of ‘rough-ish’ stuff but nothing too scary.

The plan is to arrive back into Cambridge in the late afternoon in plenty of time for people to catch trains back to London and more other far flung corners.

Ride Etiquette, etc.

These will not be particularly fast rides, as we will have some youngsters and some newbies with us - some of us will also be carrying camping gear. No-one will be left behind but you are responsible for ensuring that you carry spares and basic tools.

Please make sure you are carrying plenty of fluids and snacks with you for the Saturday ride. If it is hot, there are limited water stops/shops on the route to Kings Lynn.

Recumbents, etc. are welcome but please be mindful that there are some hills and patches of rough stuff.

You are welcome to join us for all or part of the ride. Please contact me directly by PM to arrange meeting points, times, etc.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Reggie Ride II: 65 Miles of Flat
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:31:02 pm »
You won't get many takers on 29/8 - Mildenhall!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »
You won't get many takers on 29/8 - Mildenhall!

Arse!  I forgot that....

I'll have another look at the available dates.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:40:12 pm »
We're not available 22/8 - we'll be at Blenheim with the ALC.  But don't plan based on our preferences!
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »
We're not available 22/8 - we'll be at Blenheim with the ALC.  But don't plan based on our preferences!

You're just avoiding my rides....  :P

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »
Yup :P

Only partial, and rather less drastic this time.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:46:10 pm »
Sept 5th is the day after a FNRttC to Vista Belle - on which premise I'll be voting for t'other option  :)

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:09:28 pm »
Sept 5th is the day after a FNRttC to Vista Belle - on which premise I'll be voting for t'other option  :)

I've taken an executive decision.  The date will be Saturday 22 August.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »
Hey ho.  Can we provisionally book a place on Reggie's Ride III: Rise of the Machines?  Revenge of the Sith?  The Last Crusade? Prisoner of Azkaban? With a Vengeance?  Back in Training? ;D
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:22:59 pm »
Hey ho.  Can we provisionally book a place on Reggie's Ride III: Rise of the Machines?  Revenge of the Sith?  The Last Crusade? Prisoner of Azkaban? With a Vengeance?  Back in Training? ;D

Perhaps it should be Reggie Ride III: The Pilgrimage of Grace, a ride from Cambridge to Louth to mark the suppression of the rebellious Northerners...?    :P

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »
Can I come?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »
Hey ho.  Can we provisionally book a place on Reggie's Ride III: Rise of the Machines?  Revenge of the Sith?  The Last Crusade? Prisoner of Azkaban? With a Vengeance?  Back in Training? ;D

Perhaps it should be Reggie Ride III: The Pilgrimage of Grace, a ride from Cambridge to Louth to mark the suppression of the rebellious Northerners...?    :P

Funny you should mention that.  Christopher Aske came from the town of my birth.  I still think he was a prat.  But that's the way the haristocracy is.
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »
Can I come?

You'd be more than welcome!

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »
Damn, we're off to Belgium @ 08:00 on 22nd August to meet up with friends in Mechelin for Maanrock on Saturday and an MG meet at Kempenrit on Sunday.  Plus, of course, several Belgian beers.

May have to see if Roger will take back my new ACF jerseys.  OR the orange should be OK in Belgium.

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:37:50 pm »
Damn, we're off to Belgium @ 08:00 on 22nd August to meet up with friends in Mechelin for Maanrock on Saturday and an MG meet at Kempenrit on Sunday.  Plus, of course, several Belgian beers.

I think you used the MG club as an excuse last time....  ;) :P

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:38:31 pm »
Could you not start the Cambridge to Louth ride from the Old Vicarage and finish it at the Conservative Party headquarters in Louth, in honour of the convicted criminal who occupied both places?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »
Could you not start the Cambridge to Louth ride from the Old Vicarage and finish it at the Conservative Party headquarters in Louth, in honour of the convicted criminal who occupied both places?

Excellent idea!  Should I ask the fragrant Mary to see us off?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:41:37 pm »
It looks that way but I really want to get started on an ACF ride even if only to see how unfit and unready I really am.

I will also be advance celebrating my 30th Aug 64th birthday and our 13th Sept 40th wedding anniversary so I guess it should be with SWMBO.

One day ....

« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »

I could change my bookings for Mary but how would we get Wowbagger to the Conservative Party HQ ?   

Regulator

« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »

I could change my bookings for Mary but how would we get Wowbagger to the Conservative Party HQ ?   

He probably has it pre-loaded into his GPS targeting system.

Green Party Councillor

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
Re: Reggie Ride II: 65 Miles of Flat - 22 August 2009
« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »
Oh, poo, I am at the Rewind 80s Festival (just look what making decisions whilst drunk will get you into) on that weekend  :( in my leaky tent...... a shame as this sounds like it might be (whisper) more fun....and because of my stay in the aformentioned leaky tent, it's probably going to rain  ;D
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:50:38 pm »
Oh, poo, I am at the Rewind 80s Festival (just look what making decisions whilst drunk will get you into) on that weekend  :( in my leaky tent...... a shame as this sounds like it might be (whisper) more fun....and because of my stay in the aformentioned leaky tent, it's probably going to rain  ;D
The Rewind80s Festival sounds great, pity it's so far away from here.

« Reply #22 on: 15 July, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »
This sounds a bit at odds with most other replies, but I think I'm available for this ride. :thumbsup: ;D

I'm still worried that Reggie Ride III will be 80 miles, and RR-IV 95...  this is assuming an arithmetic progression, if it's a geometric progression, we'll be really stuffed in short order!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Regulator

« Reply #23 on: 15 July, 2009, 02:54:53 pm »
This sounds a bit at odds with most other replies, but I think I'm available for this ride. :thumbsup: ;D

I'm still worried that Reggie Ride III will be 80 miles, and RR-IV 95...  this is assuming an arithmetic progression, if it's a geometric progression, we'll be really stuffed in short order!

Excellent!  Although I think that progression much beyond 65-70 miles is unlikely... :-\

I'm hoping that Oscar's Dad can make this one - as there's some excellent little pubs along the way, and we'll need a constant source of amusement..  ;)

Green Party Councillor

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #24 on: 15 July, 2009, 04:24:23 pm »
Oh, poo, I am at the Rewind 80s Festival (just look what making decisions whilst drunk will get you into) on that weekend  :( in my leaky tent...... a shame as this sounds like it might be (whisper) more fun....and because of my stay in the aformentioned leaky tent, it's probably going to rain  ;D
The Rewind80s Festival sounds great, pity it's so far away from here.

It's not that near me, got some mates in Oxford though so we are heading to Henley from there....we'll be the ones in leg warmers.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical