Author Topic: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June  (Read 18731 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June
« Reply #125 on: 24 June, 2019, 10:21:47 pm »
Yeah, I realized being lower would be problematic for Phil at the time as my light is mounted on the fork crown which was pretty much at his eye level.
Wasn't really sure what I could do if anything, putting a hand over the light would have left me unable to see where I was going at all, which despite the road being flat and straight the surface needed visibility!

« Reply #126 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:53:32 pm »
Mark,  yes not sure what happened at the pub, i thought you were all going to catch me as I rolled slowly. Arriving in Lincoln just before 11 I decided i had plenty of time for a proper sleep so tried to find a room at the Premier Inn but no luck on either but Vince and Dan (Morvelo) who i met as I was dejectdly leaving the Premier Inn offered me room on the floor of ther room which I gratefully accepted. 4 hours sleep, shower and then cycled with them the rest of the day. Arrived at 5pm having decided not to stop at the party in Finchingfield.
Thanks to Tom and all the other helpers andto those I rode with (Martin, Mark, Tom, Dan, Vince, Alan amongothers) a great weekend out now Paris bound
Joaquin

« Reply #127 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:42:10 am »
Orejas, let's hope we can persuade Dan & Vince (with his tri-bars) to ride on the front all the way to Brest. What a tow!

Phil W

« Reply #128 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:30:14 am »
The Results Are Uploaded Less Than 24 Hours After The Finish -

Sterling work, now feels quite relaxed having a whole week to wait for my final ACP number to put into the PBP lucky dip machine.

Phil W

« Reply #129 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:33:22 am »
Yeah, I realized being lower would be problematic for Phil at the time as my light is mounted on the fork crown which was pretty much at his eye level.
Wasn't really sure what I could do if anything, putting a hand over the light would have left me unable to see where I was going at all, which despite the road being flat and straight the surface needed visibility!

I wouldn't worry about it, occupational hazard of being lower.  Normally I can tip the peak of my cap down to cut out the glare, but as you say the surface needed as much forward visibility as possible on that narrow lane.  Besides I had both hands on the tiller to maintain my line!  It's pretty rare I can't just tip the peak down to shield my eyes.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #130 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »
Orejas, let's hope we can persuade Dan & Vince (with his tri-bars) to ride on the front all the way to Brest. What a tow!

I suggest anyone considering using tri bars checks out the bike rules for PBP before setting off to France, probably a good idea to try a compliant set up on a few rides as well. Be careful if sliding full length tri bars back to meet the regulation - they are quiet painful when the knees hit them. If you are going to experiment with cutting them down (and finding they don't work for you?) buy cheap ones.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #131 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:45:59 pm »
^ And if you are used to tri-bars, don't just suddenly remove them to comply, and hope your neck muscles will cope. USAnians often favour tri-bars for those long staight exposed roads at home and are the main victims of 'Shermer's Neck' on PBP as a result. Also take your helmet light off as soon as it gets light and use one centrally mounted or with a battery pack at the back to balance the light at the front. There's nothing too technical anyway, that needs a 'seeing round the corners' light that are so useful on UK lanes. A cheap and lightweight AAA powered one will be useful to pick up the reflective arrows mounted high above normal bike headlight range and also of course for roadside repairs/rummaging in your saddlebag etc.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #132 on: 29 June, 2019, 07:45:28 pm »
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #133 on: 30 June, 2019, 03:59:28 pm »
Great, that's my PBP registration complete, with 600 ACP number now entered.

« Reply #134 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »
Great, that's my PBP registration complete, with 600 ACP number now entered.

Me too - thank you!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #135 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »
Me too - thank you!

And your navigator?!

« Reply #136 on: 02 July, 2019, 11:09:11 am »
Me too - thank you!

And your navigator?!

Indeed! We are both now fully registered with PBP. Now just need to find some time to do some training rides...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #137 on: 02 July, 2019, 11:33:10 am »
Me too - thank you!

And your navigator?!

Indeed! We are both now fully registered with PBP. Now just need to find some time to do some training rides...

:thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #138 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:21:21 pm »
Left leg started weeping again on today's bike ride. I won't make the same mistake again of lack if sun cream on legs when riding recumbent a long way in sunshine.  Sure the new skin will be ready in time for PBP :facepalm: