Author Topic: Show us your PBP setup  (Read 9997 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Show us your PBP setup
« on: 11 August, 2019, 08:32:44 pm »
finally finished setting up my bike, it will be looking like this:

Re: Show us your PBP setup
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2019, 08:50:05 pm »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2019, 09:24:08 pm »
Looks very fast. Taking my Genesis Equilibrium steel bike with Topeak barbag, pannier rack and mtx trunk bag. Heavy setup but what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger (well, that’s the theory).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2019, 10:25:08 pm »
Feeling surprisingly heavy but seems little different to my LEL set up...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:10:59 am »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:08:25 am »

I don't see how those aerobars fit the regulations, which are

Handlebars extensions are allowed only if they can't extend beyond a line created between the front of the brake levers, which must not be pointed forward.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but that seems to suggest that the tips of those bars are too long!

Paul D's bike looks ok though

Davef

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:26:53 am »
The side view of zigzags bike looks ok

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:29:53 am »
it's difficult to say - to me even the side view sticks out an inch

In part it depends how the rule is checked for at the bike check.  If they are doing it by eye then a bar a few mm beyond the official limit might be ok

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:31:20 am »
it's difficult to say - to me even the side view sticks out an inch

In part it depends how the rule is checked for at the bike check.  If they are doing it by eye then a bar a few mm beyond the official limit might be ok

My personal guess is that they take a spare sign and hold it vertically. Then it should touch the brakelevers first. Seems to me the easiest way of checking en route.

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:38:34 am »
The clause about “must not be pointed forward” seems crucial - although it doesn’t appear at all in the French text.

Anyone understand what they’re trying to achieve with this rule? Shorter bars surely give you less control....

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:41:12 am »

Handlebars extensions are allowed only if they can't extend beyond a line created between the front of the brake levers, which must not be pointed forward.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but that seems to suggest that the tips of those bars are too long!

the first photo shows that they fit the regulations (if you draw a vertical line). the second photo was intended to show the cockpit and because the aerobars are higher than the drop bars they appear further from that point of view.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:43:21 am »

To me, you are measuring a line to the hoods, not the levers (which look fine on Zigzag's side picture).

The levers on the bike are slightly rotated upwards (pushing the bottom of the lever out slightly) but most people's will be whether they are running aerobars or not.  But they are not 'pointed forwards'.

I suspect there will be some flagrant abuse of the definition, but this does look like it works within the wording IMHO.

Edit to add - it also looks like it will be a very nice bike to ride fast!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:48:51 am »
The clause about “must not be pointed forward” seems crucial - although it doesn’t appear at all in the French text.

Anyone understand what they’re trying to achieve with this rule? Shorter bars surely give you less control....

They are copy pasting from the rules of draft legal triathlon minus the bit that says they must be joined at the front.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:54:11 am »

perhaps to prevent the use of full-on tt bikes? to have your hands closer to the brake levers for safety? that's my guess.

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:02:06 am »

It has taken me a not insignificant amount of effort to get comfortable with the bars ~10cm further back than I normally like them. I've done the vertical board thing to check they are in line with the brake levers...but as per Zigzag it is the ends of the levers that they are in line with; the hoods are probably about 5mm further back. Getting a grumpy bike checker who thinks the hoods are the point which the aerobars must be behind is on my list of things to worry about.

I agree. I'm marginally less confident in my bike handling with the bars moved back, but it's their game and I want to play so I have to stick to their rules whether I agree or not.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:13:25 am »

I agree. I'm marginally less confident in my bike handling with the bars moved back, but it's their game and I want to play so I have to stick to their rules whether I agree or not.

:thumbsup:

I may be regretting my choice of not having aerobars if the headwinds are wild next week.

But, I have packed a collapsible mast and a sail so I'm planning on a serious negative split.....
Right! What's next?

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:34:41 am »
These are the rules that PBP checkers will be applying:
"[Tribars/clip-ons] sont autorisés à condition qu'ils ne puissent pas dépasser la ligne passant par les points les plus en avant des poignées de frein."
"Poignées" are the brake 'handles' not the levers (leviers). So I reckon @Vorsprung's drawn line is pertinent.
But triathlon draft-legal rules (English version), from which presumably the ACP decision/reglement has been derived says "Clip-ons, including the bridge, must not exceed the foremost line of the brake levers."
Anyway, in the spirit of "une ergonomie améliorée", what's a few mm between friends?
Bonne chance à tous.

Davef

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2019, 12:20:31 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »
As far as I can see triathlete bars are essentially putting your hand up to go on the front.

What's French for "if you're on a wheel get off your fuckin' aero bars!"

I've watched triathlon, hopefully I'll avoid all the pile ups.

;)

rob

« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »
As far as I can see triathlete bars are essentially putting your hand up to go on the front.

;)

I'll have to say this worries me a bit.   There was some shocking bike handling last time and I think the addition of aero bars won't help things.

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:11:36 pm »

;)

I'll have to say this worries me a bit.   There was some shocking bike handling last time and I think the addition of aero bars won't help things.

+1.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »

;)

Terrifies me, especially during the later stages.

I'll be keeping an eye on who's on my wheel (mainly to laugh at them for picking my slow unfit wheel with very little hole-punching size - but also to check they're not on the aerobars because I don't want my PBP ruined by getting an aerobar up the jacksie).
Right! What's next?

Ben T

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »

Yep, you're also going to need to sand your garmin down a bit  ;D

« Reply #24 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:52:15 pm »
You can always say that you interpreted the rules wrong and thought it meant that tribars should not stick out further than the rider in fronts brake levers.