Author Topic: Quails  (Read 19456 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Quails
« on: 23 February, 2010, 11:16:16 am »
We're getting some.

I know that they don't mix at all well with chickens so I've nearly finished building them some lovely accommodation out of materials scavenged from local skips.  As soon as the new bird* house is done, I've got an appointment with the Quail Man of Twickenham.  We'll probably start with about half a dozen common or garden Coturnix, four or five girls to one chap.  To keep as layers, not as birds for the table.

Any quail keepers on here?  Anyone got any good advice for us on the subject?  From what I have read so far on the intertubes, even hatching your own eggsies isn't so difficult.  And I have to admit, given just how much of TEH CUTE you can fit inna box of day-old quail chicks, I'm tempted...

*Put a little one in your soul...  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Quails
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
When are you going to get ducks?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:20:24 am »
Quails are teh cute.  And the eggs taste nice.

Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:21:45 am »

When one of us is an MP.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:22:50 am »
Wascally, I fear that Butterfly's wish to get ducks once more may well become irresistible if we ever move house.  Ducks are cool.  Not sure if C&J can manage them in their space, unless Charlotte gets a mad urge & builds a whole new storey on their garden, complete with duckypond.

Then there's the geese... ;D
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:23:16 am »

When one of us is an MP.

I did actually email the duckhouse MP and ask if he would donate it for auction for TRAT – I got a quite polite reply to my cheeky question.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:26:46 am »
Lovely!  How much space does a little quail-family take up?  Chickens would probably be pushing things in our garden, but quail...  Hmm...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
Based on my experience, quails are phenomenally easy to hatch with the right equipment. And also incredibly cute for the first few days. 8)  

That said, the first quail to hatch had a crippled foot and I'm not sure if that was due to me getting impatient and helping him out of his egg. I never told my boss in case I got the blame, but I felt very guilty. Especially when all twenty other quail chicks lined up to bully him. :-[ :'(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:31:51 am »
^ Doubt it Kathy - the lady who sold us our chickens said that crippled foot is a v common one among poultry and it's a genetic blip.  :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:41:31 am »
That place is touring into Ealing Zoo, next horses and elephants...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:44:24 am »
Lovely!  How much space does a little quail-family take up?  Chickens would probably be pushing things in our garden, but quail...  Hmm...

You can keep half a dozen in an old rabbit hutch, easily.  And such things are often to be procured on freecycle.  I'm building something a tad more elaborate, but along the same lines.

They'll live quite happily in that sort of space all their lives.  Unlike chooks, they don't need a run of any kind.  They're ground-dwelling game birds and will nest and lay pretty much anywhere.  They don't even need perches in their next box like chickens do.

if you were to see just how little space the industrial battery birds get, you'd be shocked.  A rabbit hutch is luxury!

They eat most stuff (wild bird food from Wilcos if you can't get layers' pellets or other chicken food).  They will drink quite happily from a rabbit-bottle, although it's best to get a gravity-feeder if you don't want them to poo/lay/dustbath in their food.

They're cheap as chips to keep!

« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »
Chateau R is currently looking at the possibility of acquiring a fleet of quails in August, so I will be watching this thread with interest. 

One of my very favouritest foods is a scotch egg made with a quail's egg.

« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:17:52 pm »
Quail's - nom nom nom.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »
^ Doubt it Kathy - the lady who sold us our chickens said that crippled foot is a v common one among poultry and it's a genetic blip.  :)

*relief* :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:34:01 pm »
I'm reminded of my Dad's rabbits, back in the 70s.  A rack of hutches full of gormless fluff.  He'd show them: the once that won got to breed, and the ones that didn't went in the pot.

Nom fancyrabbitpie nom...

They were all myxied, sadly. :(

How big is this Nelson Mandela Towers you're building?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:37:53 pm »
Big.  I got a bit carried away.

There will be photos when it's done, of course.  Maybe even work-in-progress shots tonight.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #16 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:49:02 pm »
He'd show them: the once that won got to breed, and the ones that didn't went in the pot.
My granddad used to do the same with his racing pidgins
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 23 February, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »
I'm reminded of my Dad's rabbits, back in the 70s.  A rack of hutches full of gormless fluff.  He'd show them: the once that won got to breed, and the ones that didn't went in the pot.

And I'm reminded of 'Our Lucien' ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 23 February, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »
So - where's the rabbit fur coat?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #19 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »
I have just been discussing quails with a colleague whose family used to keep them - up to 1,000 at any one time.  Their chirping can be quite noisy, and he did say that an outdoor run would need some sort of heating to see them happily through the winter.  Their feet have a tendency, apparently, to accumulate compacted debris and so they need some individual care and attention, but if they're the Japanese variety they are quite tame. 

And their eggs make particularly fine CAKE because of the high yolk to white ratio.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »
And their eggs make particularly fine CAKE because of the high yolk to white ratio.

I'd not heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense.

Oh dear - moar reasons to bake cake  :D

« Reply #21 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:27:16 pm »
Don't be tempted by Guinea Fowl. There eggs are like quail eggs but bigger but they are noisy birds. OK if you live in the middle of nowhere but they will annoy your neighbours otherwise.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #22 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »
Don't be tempted by Guinea Fowl. There eggs are like quail eggs but bigger but they are noisy birds. OK if you live in the middle of nowhere but they will annoy your neighbours otherwise.

My colleague tried to suggest we should get guinea fowl but I've met them before - in fact there are (or used to be) some in Forest Hill and I certainly would't want them near my house.  Go back! Go back! Go back! Go back! Go back!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:00:45 pm »
Guinea fowl are stupid.  And they have the heads of a much smaller bird grafted on.
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:44:52 am »
Quail have been on my birthday wish list for at least 10 years.
Unfortunately my landlord wont let me keep any livestock.

:jealous:

Top tip: rats kill quail. Extra ratproofing required.