Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462612 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20425 on: 04 August, 2018, 12:35:24 pm »
Maybe you should have it looked at, Si.  When I broke my elbow I could move it and it just felt a bit sore, though there was a huge swelling.  X-ray revealed that the olecranon was broken and there were big gaps between the bits.

Good luck

Peter

« Reply #20426 on: 04 August, 2018, 01:12:56 pm »
Thanks for the concern Peter, a lot of the swelling has gone out of it overnight, although you can still cook eggs on it.

I can ride pain free and have full movement, lovely colour though, as long as you like purple. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong.

« Reply #20427 on: 04 August, 2018, 01:33:02 pm »
That's good, Si.  I did, admittedly, have a haematoma the size of a tennis ball, which was a bit of a clue!

« Reply #20428 on: 08 August, 2018, 11:35:49 pm »
One of my rare commutes today.
Nothing out of the ordinary (other than me actually riding in) but Barlow Moor Road is even worse than last time and the construction going on in Didsbury suggests that more of it is going to get hammered.
It remains to be seen whether I'll have the enthusiasum to ride in on Friday.

« Reply #20429 on: 09 August, 2018, 11:39:46 pm »
nearly 2 weeks of commuting since my crash. a previously padlocked gate has been opened which has created a nice shortcut from the rotherham/sheffield canal to meadowhall avoiding the awkward bridge

red = shortcut, yellow =/= shortcut

felt like i'd finally figured out mariokart

also, tonight i finished at 6 instead of 5. it was weirdly quiet.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #20430 on: 13 August, 2018, 11:50:59 am »
Dangerous close passes at the rate of 1 per km  :(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20431 on: 13 August, 2018, 12:53:49 pm »
Something nice is happening to my commutes.

I'm only 3.5 miles from work, so I have options to extend. One of them takes me away from the city for the first 2 miles, along a lovely winding lane with views over the Derwent Valley, only spoiled by occasional motor traffic going too fast.

However, Severn Trent are replacing the pipes on that road and it's been closed it to motor traffic since June. It's blissful.

Coincidentally, on my more direct commute, a water main has burst, knocking out the bridge to motor traffic (still passable on bike).

So I currently have two routes to work on both of which I can pretty much cycle in the middle (or all over) the road for almost 2 miles!

;D ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20432 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:11:29 pm »
Saw a twitter thread recently where someone thanked $water_co for digging up their road and making it safe from rat-runners and $water_co tweeted back to apologise for the inconvenience.

ian

« Reply #20433 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »
The other year an entire section of the A22 flooded (a road normally only cycled by people who have yet to find a suitably terrifying extreme sport, such as grenade juggling while wing-walking on a supersonic jet fighter) and was closed to traffic for several weeks (it opened briefly but drivers insisted on crashing into the big blue and yellow pipework that was continuing to remove the excess water, so they have to re-close). That made cycling down it a delight. People even took to indulging themselves in curiously pursuits like walking.

Oh and despite the bleats about the world-ending catastrophe that was closure of an A road the shops didn't run out of food and everyone found different routes and the impact of a removing a bit of traffic was positive. A lesson, of course, that will go unlearned.

« Reply #20434 on: 14 August, 2018, 08:30:06 pm »
I rode passed this on my way home from work last night.

The ambulance had just left the scene and I spotted the helmet on the floor as I was waiting at the lights.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20435 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:26:57 pm »
My commute home today became accidentally multimodal when the pin from my top jockey wheel unscrewed and the wheel and pin disappeared off into the hedge somewhere. The last 1.5 miles were walked
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #20436 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:56:42 pm »
At least you're not having to buy a new frame ...................  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20437 on: 25 August, 2018, 10:09:41 am »
Last night was cold and wet and windy and dark and I did not like it.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20438 on: 04 September, 2018, 07:45:00 pm »
Whereas today was sunny and warm not too chilly so I went for a loop up  above Ennerdale on the way home :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20439 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:32:55 pm »
It's very, very strange but I've found that the longer the moron behind me leans on the horn the deafer and slower I get.   Odd that isn't it?  Other than that, utterly unaccountable, noise related performance dip good runs in both directions today.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #20440 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:07:24 pm »
Not exactly today, but yesterday I took a couple of photos of a strange building which has been erected over the past few months in Mapledurham, on my daily route between Whitchurch-on-Thames and Reading.  Anybody have any idea of its purpose?

The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #20441 on: 07 September, 2018, 07:06:54 pm »
Small scale kiln dryer (that would explain the chimney).
Chief cat entertainer.

Paul

« Reply #20442 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »
Secret bunker, no?

Does it slide underground? I bet it slides underground.

Paul

« Reply #20443 on: 11 September, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »
I pinged a stone with considerable velocity into a car this evening. The bang was loud outside the car: goodness knows what it sounded like inside.
We both stopped to have a look. We couldn’t see any damage, but it was a cursory inspection.
He was glad I’d stopped, if only because he had no idea what had caused the bang.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20444 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:26:47 am »
Hat 'n' glubs today. We had a light touch of frorwst* this morning. A beautiful sunny morning.

* As the old 'uns pronounce it out here in rural Bedfordshire.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #20445 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:15:05 am »
First actually cold commute this morning!

Woollen baselayer tomorrow!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

« Reply #20446 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:21:45 am »
I pinged a stone with considerable velocity into a car this evening. The bang was loud outside the car: goodness knows what it sounded like inside.
We both stopped to have a look. We couldn’t see any damage, but it was a cursory inspection.
He was glad I’d stopped, if only because he had no idea what had caused the bang.

What happens if the cars' owner asks for/demands compo? I've always seen this situation as force majure, from both sides, but in the event of a car flicking a stone, they are long gone whereas you are 'get-able' on a bike.

« Reply #20447 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:09:20 am »
He gave me the digit, I gave him five digits, technically a wave.  Driver did not like that.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20448 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:15:50 pm »
Winter is on it's way

Mary Poppins visited rural Suffolk for the weekend

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20449 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:03:34 am »
Another indicator of the changing seasons this morning. Last week we had frost, this morning was gloomy enough to require lights.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius