Linked Events

• BHPC World Championships: 13 July, 2018 - 15 July, 2018

Author Topic: BHPC World Championships  (Read 16989 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: BHPC World Championships
« Reply #50 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:50:37 am »
(Tiny niggle) The results page is slightly awry. The button pointing to the 3hr race results brings up results claimiing to be the 1 h criterium. Mind you, they show Stephen Slade doing 2079.6 mph. I know he's fast, but...

The url is right, IYSWIM.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events18/wc2018/05-3hr/3hr-wc2018.html

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:28:42 am »
(Tiny niggle) The results page is slightly awry. The button pointing to the 3hr race results brings up results claimiing to be the 1 h criterium. Mind you, they show Stephen Slade doing 2079.6 mph. I know he's fast, but...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events18/wc2018/05-3hr/3hr-wc2018.html

I expect the Organisators will be on the case when they get home and have been jet-washed to remove the coal dust ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:49:01 am »

Yeah, that looks like test data, it's been there since before the event, and is being replaced with the real data as and when it becomes available.

Quote from: Chris Hamilton
The 3hr results (and the final overall results table) are on my laptop buried somewhere in the back of my chaotically packed car. Once I've finished breakfast, I'll be driving home from Betteshanger. As long as I don't crash (or get my car nicked), the results will go online this evening or tomorrow...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:56:33 am »
So now I've met a former unfaired recumbent world champ woman (French, now just returned from cycletouring) and the current silver medalist unfaired etc. Good work Kim.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:01:31 pm »
Yeah, congratulations Kim. Unfortunately, I didn't make it down there this weekend - too busy with other stuff (eg repairing windows, goddamit) - and it sounds like I missed a treat.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: 16 July, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »
Me photies are now on Flickr:

1 Lap TT

1 Hour races

15 Minute Criterium

3 Hour Race

O hai! I am made ov Win!

The Whole Sort Ov General Mish-Mash

Women unfaired podium by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
3rd: Rosmarie Bühler, 2nd: Kim, 1st: Anna May Brönnimann

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #56 on: 16 July, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »
Slightly disappointed not to see any pics ov Teh Crimson Hay-Bailer or Pat Pending's Convertacar. You've captured just about everything else . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
A podium even Flatus can be envious of.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #58 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:24:00 pm »
I take it that Kim is the one in the geek black T’ ?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:13:01 pm »
I take it that Kim is the one in the geek black T’ ?

Indeed.  That T-shirt was standard-issue.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:29:22 pm »
Some nice photos of the 15 minute criterium races by my friend Ben, who I'd given a headsup to on account of being local and having previous for photographing fast-moving vehicles: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcc/sets/72157693279982710

I think this one sums up my weekend:

Human Powered Vehicle World Championship 2018 by Ben Charlton, on Flickr

But this one wins on sheer Wacky Races factor...

« Reply #61 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:36:03 pm »
Well done Kim  :thumbsup:   Nice pottery.     Battle Mountain next year ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »

Fuck no.   :hand:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #63 on: 17 July, 2018, 02:14:48 am »

Fuck no.   :hand:

Though I an informed that the luckless Matthias König* is going this year to ride a bike built by Hans van Vugt. And if he does well, to get properly serious about it for 2019.

* self-digesting front spokes in the 1-Hour, attempting to follow Steve Slade through a bike-only sized gap in the 15 minute one and ending up on the grass.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:17:25 am »
Thing 2
looks like a Jelcz 43 bus.

I expect the Thing is faster but I'm far from certain which makes a better cucumber sandwich.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #65 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:27:06 am »
Thing 1 had a teeny camera mounted above the cockpit, Improvement of Forward Vision for the use of. Thing 2 did not. Stationed, as i was, on the outside of a bend, this meant on a couple of occasions that Thing 2 got closer than is perhaps comfortable, steering in what looked like "ooh, there's the edge of the track, left hand down a bit" stylee. 

« Reply #66 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:29:00 am »
I was about to enquire if the winner had been handed a model of an upwrong bicycle but closer investigation of the photo reveals that it is in fact a recumbent.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #67 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:29:38 am »

Ms Brönnimann doesn't seem to have an awful lot of shin clearance under her bars. Or is that a trick of the camera angle?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #68 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:22:50 am »
These things can get a bit marginal.  I remember Simon "Trigger" Thompson planing the skin off his shins with his forward-facing race number in the Hour at the 1990 Europeans.  He very sensibly took up long-distance mountain bike racing not long after.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #69 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:24:20 am »

This is what champions do. Blow their nose while riding very fast. Note aerodynamic hair acting as vortex shedder.

A Mr Larrington, Sunday.

A very fast Charles Henry, knackered.

A The Boy, sitting.

Rest of the pics here: Linky

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:31:04 am »
These things can get a bit marginal.  I remember Simon "Trigger" Thompson planing the skin off his shins with his forward-facing race number in the Hour at the 1990 Europeans.  He very sensibly took up long-distance mountain bike racing not long after.

Indeed.  I don't have an awful lot of thigh clearance in front of my brake levers, either, but thighs are squishier than shins and it's only an issue during low-speed wobble manoeuvres.  (It's a tradeoff between brake lever ergonomics, a more aerodynamic elbow position, and how much the handlebars obstruct my view of the approaching potholes.  If I were only using it on the track, I'd throw the latter out the window and fully recline the seat, but I reckoned that, in the interests of keeping all my skin, familiar handling beat aero gains in this instance.  This was probably the right decision - I had a brief chainring guard vs windcheetah rear wheel moment in the 3 hour, but Nothing didn't happen.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #71 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:32:40 am »
I like that there gnuprite trikes and even bikes mixed in there. And a bloke racing in a civilian button-up shirt-style shirt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:35:25 am »

This is what champions do. Blow their nose while riding very fast. Note aerodynamic hair acting as vortex shedder.

In the interests of accuracy, I was scraping bits of sweat-drowned beastie[1] from somewhere under my glasses, rather than actually blowing my nose.

On a related note, if you're going to draft a high-racer, you've got to watch out for snot-rockets.  DAHIKT.

[1] Logically you'd expect some sort of small fly, but it's entirely possible that one of the millions ants from the camping field wasteland sneaked in under my helmet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:38:41 am »
I like that there gnuprite trikes and even bikes mixed in there. And a bloke racing in a civilian button-up shirt-style shirt.

If that's the guy on the Scorpion, it's because his faster machine was out of action for mechanical reasons, so he decided to bring the Vorsprung Durch HPVelotechnik Panzerliegedreirad and a Hawaiian shirt and generally not take things too seriously.   :thumbsup:

The great thing about these events is that anything that's human powered and meets the safety rules (which are mostly about brakes, magic hats and stabby bits) can come and play.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:19:43 pm »
BHPC mandate majic plastic bonnets? Shame.

They're usually a condition of the use of the tracks, so I assume they require them for consistency as much as arse-covering.  For the world championships they additionally enforced a standards-compliant helmet requirement for those in fully-enclosed machines - normally anything that prevents you bumping your head in a crash is permitted.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/how-to-race-with-bhpc.aspx refers.

In practical terms, helmets make a useful place to attach the RFID tags[1] to something that's neither metal nor carbon fibre at a mostly-consistent height, and can function as an aerodynamic fairing for the head.  They make more noise about the more significant safety benefits of chainring guards, mirrors, and elbow pads.

To be fair, this is the sort of situation where helmets are potentially worthwhile, so I don't mind wearing one (as long as there aren't ants in it).  I'm already wearing mitts, elbow pads, non-sandal shoes and older shorts that I don't mind too much if they get torn.

[1] That usefully stays with the rider if they swap machines mid-race due to a mechanical.