Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 198155 times)

Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1075 on: 30 September, 2019, 11:40:03 pm »
Day 1 and the sugar cravings are real.(Now late afternoon) Got hard boiled + pepperoni as failsafes, which I may have to activate.
Snack time at work at 4pm, so aiming to hold out until then.

Dinner/lunch was good. Buttery scrambled eggs for breakfast may take some getting used to, but I also *just* managed to brown the butter a little bit which didn't help.
 Hardest thing today was convincing the coffee shot, that I did not need my usual breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #1076 on: 03 October, 2019, 04:06:58 am »
Sugar cravings are better, even managed to ignore the donuts that our dept coordinator bought today.
Also was able to skip afternoon snack.  Tomorrow I have my first kendo practice since starting, so that will be interesting..however, I'm able to stop at any point.
One noticeable difference is no real post-lunch slump.

The Dietdoctor recipes are really good. Easy to make and quite simple. Their time estimates are based on having everything laid out and ready, though :).
2kgs down, but that's just water, I assume.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1077 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:13:24 am »
I dropped something like 6kg in the first month, then it went much steadier.

I’m now at about 1kg per month but not tracking food and eating a few more carbs, plus having probably one cheat event a week (slice of cake, restaurant meal with carb).

Well done Jakob, you will soon really feel the benefits.

Oh, yesterday I took a load of clothes to the clothing bin as they were two sizes too big. I hope I won’t be needing that size again!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1078 on: 04 October, 2019, 07:59:04 am »
Totally different at kendo practice today. I can't recall having been able to maintain focus so well before...at least not in recent years. Stamina seemed ok. Hard to tell, as I haven't practiced that regularly recently due to work. It'll be interesting to see how I recover.

« Reply #1079 on: 12 October, 2019, 06:13:21 am »
What do you do for events? I got a tournament coming up on the 2nd.
Since it's in Seattle and I'll be driving down the day before, staying low carb is going to be mighty difficult. Any side effects from eating carbs again for a couple of days?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1080 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:19:41 am »
Yes, you feel really bloated, tired and do enormous poops after a couple of days, then pee constantly when going back to Keto.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1081 on: 12 October, 2019, 10:13:08 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. 
 I can bring a big lunch for the drive down and find a restaurant that I can work with for dinner.
(Breakfast is easy)
I will need carbs on the day of. I don't think I can recover fast enough without it, but can probably get that from energy/soft drinks.
I think I need to pack lunch for two days. Hotel will have a fridge.

« Reply #1082 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:04:33 am »
Still run out of gas very quickly.
Some readings suggest that this is normal and should bounce back. I will add some sodium tablets to help as well.
Some further reading also says that high intensity exercise can benefit from easy digestible carbs, like dextrose, glucose (and avoid fructose).
On that list is gummy bears. I love gummy bears. I will use the tournament as an excuse to eat gummy bears...and get some sugar.

Been improving a bit on the meals and while I'm pretty sure I'm below 20g of carbs, I may not be getting enough fat...and probably eating more than I should. I probably need to revert to stricter portion control.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1083 on: 18 October, 2019, 02:50:00 pm »
Dextrose is just another name for glucose.

Ordinary sugar is sucrose; this is a dimer of glucose and fructose so it breaks down to a 50/50 mix in the body.
Maltose is a dimer of two molecules of glucose.
Lactose is glucose + galactose.

Starch breaks down to glucose. Some refined starches do this very quickly, especially if not mixed with fat and have a high glycaemic index. White rice an example.

« Reply #1084 on: 27 October, 2019, 09:25:19 pm »
4 weeks today, 7.3kgs down. Clothes definitely hanging looser and I'll need to punch a new hole in my belt soon.
Celebrated with a croissant today and while it was nice, it definitely wasn't as satisfying as it used to be. (ie, I can easily go another month before the next one).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1085 on: 28 October, 2019, 06:02:58 am »
Well done Jakob!

Although I enjoy cheats from Keto when on holiday (such as now, had a Chinese with rice last night), I am always happy to return to Keto ways again as I feel so much better on it.

« Reply #1086 on: 07 November, 2019, 01:49:28 am »
Weight loss has slowed down, but waist is shrinking!. My favourite trousers are now decidedly too baggy.
Working crazy overtime, but can't wait to hit the gym again and put a bit of muscle on again. (That you may actually be able to see this time).

« Reply #1087 on: 13 November, 2019, 12:35:04 am »
So, one negative aspect is that I will soon need to spend money on replacing my wardrobe. My favourite trousers are now decidedly too baggy and the rest are stating to lo look too loose as well.
Mind you, I'm not complaining :D.
(Although replacing my motorcycle jeans will hurt....they're rather expensive).

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1088 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:37:56 am »
Yes, looking in my cupboard the other day and found a brand new pair of 38" trousers with tags still on.
The ones I had on yesterday were 32".

« Reply #1089 on: 02 December, 2019, 06:09:01 pm »
Broke through the 10kg mark today, after being 'stalled' at 9.x for a couple of weeks. Only 0.5 from my initial goal ( 90kgs), with 85kgs being the target...however, I think 80kgs is obtainable.  Body fat says 26%, would love to see that down to less than 20%.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1090 on: 02 December, 2019, 08:57:20 pm »
So, one negative aspect is that I will soon need to spend money on replacing my wardrobe. My favourite trousers are now decidedly too baggy and the rest are stating to lo look too loose as well.
Mind you, I'm not complaining :D.
(Although replacing my motorcycle jeans will hurt....they're rather expensive).

If you're losing weight, couldn't you get them altered?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1091 on: 02 December, 2019, 10:05:03 pm »
Potentially, but it's a hybrid waxed denim, with kevlar reinforcement. Pretty sure my local seamstress would just say no.

« Reply #1092 on: 06 December, 2019, 08:46:46 pm »
Aaand below 90kgs for the first time in a decade. (Possibly longer)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1093 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:35:05 pm »
I've been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and wonky femurs (in rare orientations) and my mobility is terrible. The book my surgeon asked me to read says that for every Kg weight loss it saves 6Kg of forces off the hip biomechanic bits. The sensible hip dysplasia communities seem to suggest the more weight you can lose the better.

I am not overweight but at ~63-65Kg depending on scales my BMI is bang on 25, I'm heavier than I've ever been (poor mobility does that) and I reckon I could lose 2 stone (13ishKg) and still be a healthy for me weight.  I've been trying cutting down portions but struggling with being hungry - I think I did lose 1/2 a stone in 6 months like that which was a tad slow. 

I'm not going full-blown keto, but I am logging what I eat and basically 'avoiding' carbohydrates where possible. 5 days in and I do notice I am less hungry with fewer carbs. And if it helps my sodding migraines then that is also a bonus (altho had a proper optical one today).

« Reply #1094 on: 07 January, 2020, 05:44:35 am »
Had my blood work done and got called back into the doctors and not surprisingly my cholestorol is a bit high. The ratio is still very good, but we both agreed that it wouldn't hurt bringing it down. I did lean heavily on the bacon in the December, so more avocado and mackerel  and less bacon.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1095 on: 07 January, 2020, 10:54:34 am »
I've been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and wonky femurs (in rare orientations) and my mobility is terrible. The book my surgeon asked me to read says that for every Kg weight loss it saves 6Kg of forces off the hip biomechanic bits. The sensible hip dysplasia communities seem to suggest the more weight you can lose the better.

I am not overweight but at ~63-65Kg depending on scales my BMI is bang on 25, I'm heavier than I've ever been (poor mobility does that) and I reckon I could lose 2 stone (13ishKg) and still be a healthy for me weight.  I've been trying cutting down portions but struggling with being hungry - I think I did lose 1/2 a stone in 6 months like that which was a tad slow. 

I'm not going full-blown keto, but I am logging what I eat and basically 'avoiding' carbohydrates where possible. 5 days in and I do notice I am less hungry with fewer carbs. And if it helps my sodding migraines then that is also a bonus (altho had a proper optical one today).

I think you may be in an area where the 'Our Path' programme is available on the NHS.  It's a lower carb programme.  Might be worth talking to your GP to see if he can refer you.  Alternatively, it's £30 (or £60) per month for the 3 month programme (which is in line with other programmes).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1096 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:44:19 pm »
Had my blood work done and got called back into the doctors and not surprisingly my cholestorol is a bit high. The ratio is still very good, but we both agreed that it wouldn't hurt bringing it down. I did lean heavily on the bacon in the December, so more avocado and mackerel  and less bacon.

My wife got hit with this when in full Keto. Total was high but almost totally good fat. Her ratio was off the scale good.
She was offered statins and I said NO!!

« Reply #1097 on: 07 January, 2020, 11:54:49 pm »
Luckily my relatively new GP is very keen on fixing things through diet ("Food is medicine" is one of her mantras) and was super happy when I got my migraines under control through keto.
She also pointed at the ratio as the most important number and my triglycerides were very good.
Also with my upcoming career change, statins would be a big no, as I htink they would invalidate my medical certificate.

« Reply #1098 on: 08 January, 2020, 12:24:34 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1099 on: 08 January, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »
Getter by back into ketosis after taking off the waggon in the autumn.

I had forgotten the headache and general unwell feeling of the first couple of days. Steady headache all day and listlessness.

It will be worth it!