Author Topic: Changing school leaving times depending on transport mode  (Read 2319 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Changing school leaving times depending on transport mode
« on: 16 October, 2017, 01:43:51 pm »
This popped up on the CTC RTR list.
There was a school in Suffolk where for safety reasons the headteacher made all those pupils who were brought by car wait until 4.15 pm.  Guess what!  The number of cars on that particular school run rapidly dropped!  So much for the argument of all those parents who haven’t got the time to do it by any other mode.

Does anyone have any idea when/where or even better, links to an online report of this to substantiate the anecdote?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Re: Changing school leaving times depending on transport mode
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
I imagine they just arranged to  drop off and pick up the kids round the corner  ;D
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »
I imagine they just arranged to  drop off and pick up the kids round the corner  ;D

No, they didn't have any to collect till 4.15.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
But they could say the kids were walking home and pick them up round the corner. I think that's what diapason0 is suggesting. TBH picking up at 4:15 doesn't sound any worse than 3:15 from a parent's pov. Assuming parents work something like 9-5, someone's got to finish early to pick them up. This way it's only 45 minutes early instead of almost two hours. Of course, the kids probably aren't going to be happy at spending an extra hour in school, and I don't suppose the staff are too happy at looking after them either!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:02:39 pm »
That's what I meant.  If they walked in to school who knew how they got there.  Anyway, I would have thought that such a policy was illegal.  Mind you, when I was at school, we walked or cycled.  The was a public bus but it only took a few of the 2000 kids coming out at 4.00.
Advena ego sum in Terra

ian

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
I'm not sure how it can be illegal, all our schools used to stagger their release times to ensure that hoards of kids weren't unleashed at the same time to re-enact the sack of Rome.

It seems like a good idea. I just passed a bunch of cars outside the local school, oversized engines running (why? it's not even cold), waiting for their spawn to emerge. I think we can safely it's mostly a case of lazy, convenience. I doubt there's many kids at our local who are outside the walkable catchment area. I didn't get PTSD from my 25 minute walk as a child, though it was always touch and go whether I'd get home in time for Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »
Yes, of course - but I'd say that if they go far enough to avoid likely detection, then that will solve a big part of the problem anyway. Win-win  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:14:30 pm »
Well, given we're talking about fundamentally lazy people, the sort that would drive directly into the classroom if you let them, any inconvenience is a nudge in the right direction.

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:16:48 pm »
Does anyone have any idea when/where or even better, links to an online report of this to substantiate the anecdote?

Sounds unlikely. If it were round here (SW London) you'd have parents driving their children to school on purpose in order to get some extra free childcare.

If it is true though then:-

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the actual goal.

At my daughter's school there's no parking outside, and so the few people that do drive (10 or so I'd guess) manage to double (and sometimes triple) park, and park too close to junctions, etc, much to the annoyance of the local residents, other parents, and the school staff and governors.

If they were forced to park a few hundred meters away there would be much less pressure on parking as everyone is more spread out and more likely to find somewhere suitable and safe to park.

(The reason they don't do this now is if they park next to the school they can be in and out in 5 minutes and that usually avoids a parking ticket. If they park further away then they'll have to pay each time to avoid a ticket. 2 * 15 minutes each day * 190 days per year = almost £300 around here. Yes, parking is £3.10 per hour on a meter.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2017, 11:46:04 am »
Sounds like an hours' free childcare to me. Surprised it's not been taken up more by parents pretending to use a car when they don't.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

ian

« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:00:58 pm »
Maybe they should make the kids who are driven to school and back do an hour of extra PE at the end of every day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:57:56 pm »
Maybe they should make the kids who are driven to school and back do an hour of extra PE at the end of every day.

Maybe they should make their parents...