Author Topic: Running a small sprocket  (Read 1165 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Running a small sprocket
« on: 27 May, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »
A question to the engineers here abouts regarding running a small sprocket full time.

My limited understanding of metal mangling and the like leads me believe that there could be stress and wear issues, though it could be so minor that I'm getting my knickers in a twist over nothing :)

To be specific, I've currently got a 16 cog sprocket on a rholoff hub and was wondering if going to a 13 cog sprocket would be an issue.

Ta
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Rinning a small sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »
There will be more wear and loss into the chain/sprocket interface - probably not significant. There will also be more torque applied to the hub.

Check the rholoff maximum allowed ratio between front and rear ring/sprocket combinations.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
13T is noticeably less efficient than a larger sprocket and also more likely to fracture.  Best avoided.

There isn't more torque; that is only determined by the wheel size (hubs on Bromptons have an easy life).  There is, however, more chain tension.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
Dammit

I was talking about max torque applied (eg stationary standing on pedals) but got it 180 wrong - there is of couse less static torque on the hub with the smaller sprocket.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:03:33 pm »
13t Rohloff cogs don't fracture. The larger Rohloff cogs are reversible, doubling service life but the 13t is not and is offset, requiring the chainring to be mounted further outboard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...