Author Topic: the leaving of Darlo  (Read 104976 times)

gordon taylor

Re: the leaving of Darlo
« Reply #225 on: 26 October, 2011, 05:30:30 am »
I love the reports Dean, thank you.
I was perplexed at how you'd got to Istanbul so fast - it only seems a week or two since you left.

But then I checked the calendar and realised that it was six or seven weeks. Doh! Doesn't time fly?

Can't wait to hear how you get on in the next stages. Bon voyage.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #226 on: 26 October, 2011, 08:07:13 am »
Good reading Dean.
The last two issues of Cycling World have featured a riders tale from the Silk Route. Their description of the ride into Istanbul.
'as the road leads into the famous city it expands into a 14 lane highway, alive with the buzz of traffic. Endless flows of beeping, swerving, manical traffic'
At least its half term here, so the roads are quieter than normal  ;)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #227 on: 26 October, 2011, 08:38:31 am »
I have been lurking for a while. Wonderful to road about your eastward inclined extended excursion, Dean. All the best for the new continent (btw, I believe that mainland Europe is still on the same continent as the British Isles). Reading this I feel a certain melancholia. When my dad was in his twenties he travelled on a similar route (although in his time there was no need to avoid Afghanistan, which he didn't, also he didn't travel beyond Sri Lanka on the way back). He always wanted to travel at least to Iran with me. Not sure if this will happen. Maybe I have to do this on a bike after he is dead and I inherited his diaries.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #228 on: 26 October, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »
Domestique - it was like that, except the fourteen lanes were occasionally fifteen, sixteen, seventeen or some other number determined mainly by the width of the vehicles and the patience of the drivers. 

Good and bad news today - good first. When I awoke I had an email from the travel agent, advising that I'd been granted a registration number for an Iranian visa, so I'll complete the application in Erzurum. The travel agent I used was Stan Tours, who responded to my initial e-mail within the hour and have been very good so far. They were also cheaper (at 40 USD) than the UK company with whom I made inquiries - their rate was 120 GBP. 

Bad news, though - my parcel of equipment was at Turkish customs, so I had to deal with several layers of administration to get anywhere. I had the staff at the hostel call on my behalf, and even they were getting frustrated at the lack of help. 

First, I had to put the parcel number into the Turkish Post Office website - there was an English portal, at least, but subsequent screens were in Turkish. This simply said that the parcel was held at customs - no information about where, or how to claim it. 

Onto the phones, then. We eventually got some help from someone at the PO, who confirmed that it was at Topkapu depot, as my man had suspected it would be. 

So off I toddled. To get there, the best way was by tram. I forgot to ask anyone how the tram system worked and ended up bothering some random people at the tram stop. They looked at me like I was crazy and said there was a token machine on the other side. So I just need to get a token? I asked, but they were too busy getting on the tram to answer. 

It does appear to be that simple - I got a two-lira token as that was all that was available and bunged it into the machine, went through the barrier and onto the tram, and when I got off, I could just walk out without having to show anything. Most people seemed to have swipy cards. it was the same on the way back. 

I asked a security guard for directions to the Post Office, and as his mate was headed in that direction, I tagged along with him. We crossed the same road on which I'd entered Istanbul, and it looked no better in daylight than in darkness a week ago. The PO was closed for an hour for dinner between 12.30 and 1.30. I'd read about this, so no big deal. Actually this blog post was very informative. 

After dinner, I went in and was eventually waved to the right area. It was mostly amusing. I went to counter 1 to get the packing slip, then to counter 8 for no apparent reason, then to counter 5, where I was told to wait. They brought out my parcel and opened it and asked me what was inside. Just bike parts, I told them. As my sister had put 100 as the value and this was over the 75-euro limit, I had to pay tax of 52 lira (I did try to convince him that it was 100 USD, but this didn't wash). 

But that wasn't the end: I had to go back to counter 1 for the old geezer to write something across the packing slip, to counter 2 to pay, then finally back to counter 5 to get my parcel. Nearly finally: the woman at counter 2 had kept my packing slip. I needed this to collect my parcel from counter 5, and the bloke wouldn't let me have my parcel without it (despite that being my third encounter with him). And the woman at counter 2 was reluctant to let me have even the third copy of the packing slip - being dumb and foreign and a bit loud at this point served me well. I presented my packing slip to counter 5 man, who charged me 2 lira for some reason. I didn't argue, just handed over a 5-lira note. I still didn't argue when he gave me 2.50 lira in change. I and my package were free! It hadn't even taken an hour. 

One advantage of travelling by bike is that there is so much less of an administrative burden - you always travel independently, so never have to worry about timetables or deal with recalcitrant train, bus or plane staff. Which means that I could treat today as an amusing interlude, rather than another in a series of frustrating dealings with officials and jobsworths. 

And when I got back to the hostel, my bike had company - his n hers Surly LHTs in the yard. Have Woolly and Peli come to visit? ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #229 on: 26 October, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »
And when I got back to the hostel, my bike had company - his n hers Surly LHTs in the yard. Have Woolly and Peli come to visit? ;D
Nope we are still in the UK maybe sometime in the future we will cross tracks.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #230 on: 26 October, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
Dean, your middle name's not Kafka, is it?

« Reply #231 on: 27 October, 2011, 12:05:49 pm »
The meths fairy's been round. She must have heard my prayer, as there was a half litre bottle of brenspiritus by my bed when I got back :D

Actually, I think it must have been the German/Swiss couple I was chatting to, and who've now left. People are so generous.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #232 on: 27 October, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »
\o/

Don't you just love it when stuff like that happens?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #233 on: 27 October, 2011, 12:09:56 pm »
"Meths fairy" ... think I've seen a few of those on Micklegate in the past ...

« Reply #234 on: 27 October, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »
I and my package were free! It hadn't even taken an hour.
Compared to dealing with DHL, this must have seemed like a pleasant daydream.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #235 on: 27 October, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »
Yeah - there's probably some poor confused soul in Darlington wondering why they've got a package addressed to someone in Istanbul ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #236 on: 27 October, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »
Yeah - there's probably some poor confused soul in Darlington Stoke -on-Trent wondering why they've got a package addressed to someone in Istanbul ;)

FTFY :)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #237 on: 27 October, 2011, 02:45:29 pm »
People are so generous.

It seems like a wonderful world you're travelling through.  Really enjoying the reports Deano. :)
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #238 on: 27 October, 2011, 08:09:03 pm »
There have been lots of examples of random generosity. When I was basking by the Sea of Marmara to update my diary the other day, a family came along for a picnic and to watch their dad fish (without success, as it happens), and after a whispered conversation, the little girl shyly offered me a satsuma, which was delicious. It was the first satsuma I've eaten since the 1980s, I reckon.

And here at the hostel, I've been given loads of food, and a couple of note books. There was also a French guy who gave me a sandwich, and introduced me to the local chilli paste. Not only that, he's given me his cold as well. I really didn't want it, but he was most insistent. He was very generous, too, as he gave the same cold to almost everyone else in the dormitory. 

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #239 on: 28 October, 2011, 06:43:48 am »
I've got his cold as well!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #240 on: 28 October, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »
Hi Deano' hope all is still going well!  I was wondering about the nasty word "Praktikaliti" regarding the money side of things.

What are you doing in regards to cash etc on your travels?  Cash, travellers cheques, credit card or what?
Did you plan a pre fixed estimated budget per day or what?  Interested for myself as, only discharged from Bankruptcy a couple of years back, I can't have credit cards and the like.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #241 on: 28 October, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »
I have an Indian visa! Single entry, good for six months from today. It was actually quite simple - I can recommend doing this in Istanbul, if you have the time. 

So I'll be leaving here in the morning, and I'll probably be away from wi fi and Internet for at least a few days. I'm going to ride north along the Bosphorus, see what that's like, then along the Black Sea before I head inland to Bolu, where I have an offer of a bed from someone on Warm Showers. 

I can also report that it's absurdly easy to get onto the Istanbul tram system without paying: I did it by accident on my way to the consulate, as I couldn't see any legitimate way to get onto the platform from where I was. I did pay on the way back. 

I've fixed the Optimus stove, too. Googling and working my way through the troubleshooting bit of the manual did the trick. The fuel filter was clogged (it does seem a bit early for this to have happened, but perhaps the paraffin I was using was the wrong fuel to use) and though I do have spares, I just trimmed the end with a knife and it's back to wrath-of-God performance once more. I'll be using the meths stove for a while, though - I have quite a bit to use :facepalm:

And you sold your Honeystove..... :facepalm:

I certainly wasn't going to carry three stoves! I've managed fine with a big wood fire in a couple of remote locations. 

« Reply #242 on: 28 October, 2011, 05:57:52 pm »
Hi Deano' hope all is still going well!  I was wondering about the nasty word "Praktikaliti" regarding the money side of things.

What are you doing in regards to cash etc on your travels?  Cash, travellers cheques, credit card or what?
Did you plan a pre fixed estimated budget per day or what?  Interested for myself as, only discharged from Bankruptcy a couple of years back, I can't have credit cards and the like.
I haven't really budgeted, but I've been fairly disciplined about what I've spent. In Europe I was almost exclusively self-catering, and even here in Istanbul I've eaten out only rarely. Obviously, wild camping has kept the accommodation costs down - I stayed in a couple of hostels in Europe, and one hotel in Bulgaria on the Turkish border when the weather was so foul that I had to shelter somewhere. Even that was only 15 euros, and I'd have happily paid more on that day. Obviously while I've been here in Istanbul I've stayed at a hostel, but it's cheap at about 8 euros a night, which includes free Internet and free breakfast. 

Other expenses such as a new camera and towel and touristy things and a couple of nights on the piss... Well, I can't do that too often, but I haven't worried about it when I've spent money. 

It's funny you ask about how I've organised my cash now, PD, as I've just been managing my cash and I noticed that I was overdrawn on my main account. So I've shifted money about a bit. It was cos the TL at my former job* told me that we were paid a month in arrears, so I had been expecting extra cash in that account which didn't materialise. I  have that account set up with direct debits to pay off my credit cards, and there were a couple of large payments on the CC (ferry and insurance) which I'd forgotten about. No harm done - I've shifted some money about, and as it's the first time in ten years or so that I've been overdrawn, the Co Op aren't charging me. 

As well as that account, I have another account with a card (with a different bank), and two credit cards. I also have money in savings accounts and ISAs at home, which I hope to dip into only when I need. I actually forgot about one of my accounts earlier this week when I was totting everything up, so I thought I was much poorer than I am :roll:

I have one bank card and one CC on me at all times, another bank card and CC kept separately, and various bits of cash (pounds, euros and dollars plus whatever the local currency is - some places such as the Indian consulate only accepted dollars) and travellers' cheques secreted about my bike and person. It's not systematic, but I usually have a pretty good idea of where I stand. 

Cash-wise, I had a lot to start, and I've topped up as I needed. I will need to carry a lot into Iran, as the ATMs there don't work with western cards, and they don't accept travellers' cheques (I'm carrying dollar travellers' cheques but haven't changed any yet). I've worked mainly in cash, only putting one-off things onto my CC. I could have managed without the CC, up to now. 

I've set it up to be pretty much self-perpetuating and require only minimal management. Obviously I was a little late this time, but now it should tick along without me for a while. 

*it still gives me immense pleasure to say that :D

« Reply #243 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:43:25 pm »
Riverting stuff D. Take care in them there foreign parts.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #244 on: 29 October, 2011, 12:21:42 am »
Thanks for the info' Deano. It sounds like you are going "Belt and braces" and that is good. Glad you got the Visa sorted out, sounds like it was easier than when I got mine as I had to Hire a car and drive down to London from Wakefield to get one in time for the date I was setting out from the UK and dated well in advance of my arrival. I wish I could remember the name of a particular Indian Whiskey just to warn you about the continued survival of the top of your head!    Have a good time.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #245 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:53:10 pm »
Hi all

I'm camping near Kandıra. The cycling since Istanbul has been beautiful but bloody hard work, not helped by the fag end of this cold sapping my energy. The roads go up to the cliffs then back down to the surf, forever. I've left the sea behind for a while now (unless I feel like a detour in the morning), and the hills around here remind me a bit of the Lammermuirs, except probably a bit warmer at the moment (not that it's very warm, but this would be a late summer day in the Borders). The roads and hills are quite similar, the mix of thick woods and flattish bare-backed hills, and the sea sparkling away to my left. There are no sheep, either, and nothing quite as steep as Redstane Rigg once you get away from the coast, but it was still a lot like riding from Gifford to Duns. Three times, as the landscape is a bit larger. 

It only gets hillier the further east I go, so hopefully my cold will have gone by then. 

This is a slightly iffy camping spot as there are hunters on the other side of the hill and the army barracks is a quarter of a mile the other way, but the farmer didn't seem to mind me camping here - he smiled and waved me on when I asked if I could camp. And there's a fire from previous campers/dossers. Could be worse. 

Oh yes, I successfully cooked chips on my petrol stove last night, and they were wonderful. The first proper chips I've had since England. 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #246 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:55:52 pm »
The first proper chips I've had since England.

No copper Dragon tho, I bet :)

Great to hear from you, sounds like you are having a cracking time.  You will be missed, more than usual, on Friday night/Saturday morning.  Not to worry I will try and make up for it by eating an extra fried breakfast on your behalf :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #247 on: 31 October, 2011, 08:18:21 pm »
Indeed, we'll have to take something warming & drink a celebratory toast at Hole of Horcum  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #248 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »
Yet another keyboard to get used to.

I'm ın Bolu, about to fınd my Warm Showers host (and have my fırst shower ın three days). Tomorrow, I'll head towards Cappadocia, whıch ıs a bıt of a detour, but I reckon ıt'll be wonderful.  I do have to go through Ankara, whıch I'm not that bothered about, but hopefully I'll fınd a cheap hostel there for a nıght.

Last nıght was ınterestıng: fed by the local shepherd and dısturbed by the rozzers, who told me I shouldn't be campıng even though I had permissıon.  They saıd it was dangerous, and when I asked why, they just wandered off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #249 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:43:12 pm »
One of many strange encounters with authority you should expect...

Glad you're still going well.

I'm off to Google where Bolu is now. ;D
Getting there...