Author Topic: the leaving of Darlo  (Read 104986 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: the leaving of Darlo
« Reply #250 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
Hey - it says on Wikipedia that the Mayor of Bolu is Aladdin!

Well, Alaaddin Yilmaz, to be precise, but it's close enough, isn't it? :D
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #251 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »
Yet another keyboard to get used to.

I'm ın Bolu, about to fınd my Warm Showers host (and have my fırst shower ın three days). Tomorrow, I'll head towards Cappadocia, whıch ıs a bıt of a detour, but I reckon ıt'll be wonderful.  I do have to go through Ankara, whıch I'm not that bothered about, but hopefully I'll fınd a cheap hostel there for a nıght.

Last nıght was ınterestıng: fed by the local shepherd and dısturbed by the rozzers, who told me I shouldn't be campıng even though I had permissıon.  They saıd it was dangerous, and when I asked why, they just wandered off.

I trust these chaps have got huge mustachioes, Deaners!!? Just imagine if you'd been in S. America … "Eh, Gringo! Eezzz no safe 'ere!"

My advise would be to acquire a decent pipe, (you don't have to be smoking it!) and pretend to be smoking, whilst at the same time, holding on to it and sagely nodding, with a few well timed "Hmmm's" and "I seeeeeeee's" or "Insightful!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #252 on: 02 November, 2011, 04:38:18 pm »
Aladdin!  Classic!  I hope we have a yacf panto or nativity play this year and Deano is able to take part.

« Reply #253 on: 04 November, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »

I trust these chaps have got huge mustachioes, Deaners!!? Just imagine if you'd been in S. America … "Eh, Gringo! Eezzz no safe 'ere!"

My advise would be to acquire a decent pipe, (you don't have to be smoking it!) and pretend to be smoking, whilst at the same time, holding on to it and sagely nodding, with a few well timed "Hmmm's" and "I seeeeeeee's" or "Insightful!"

Top tip, Riggers. I did maintain my sang-froid throughout the exchange, but a prop to hold while staring into the middle distance would have helped emphasise my lack of concern.

« Reply #254 on: 04 November, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »
I'm dossing in a fairly swanky hotel in fairly shitty Ankara tonight. There aren't any hostels and the cheap places I goooooogled were either full or impossible to find. Still less than thirty quid!

Ankara is just a place to pass through on my way to beautiful Cappadocia, but it was already late by the time I arrived, wild camping in cities is tough, and it's a bit chilly to be bivvying down in a handy park. I'm quite enjoying Turkish TV.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #255 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:53:59 am »
I had to Google Cappadocia Deano, and then of course realised I have seen this place before. Then got distracted by DERINKUYU, where caves and dwellings thousands of years old, exist beneath the city above. Amazing.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #256 on: 07 November, 2011, 09:34:48 am »
Aladdin!  Classic!  I hope we have a yacf panto or nativity play this year and Deano is able to take part.

Is he going to Bethlehem?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #257 on: 07 November, 2011, 09:37:42 am »
You never know!  I wonder if you can get to stay in stable via warmshowers.com?

« Reply #258 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »
Hmm, is this related to the circular conversation I had yesterday with a gap-toothed roadside fishmonger? He waved me over to warm myself by his fire, offered me tea and fish and asked if I was going to Israel. I said No and explained my route as best I could. A couple more times he asked me "Israel?", then he wandered off to clean something. No fish or tea was forthcoming.

Tonight, I'm camping at 1600 metres ASL near the top of Sivrihisar Pass, in the heart of Cappadocia. I'll make for the summit in the morning. This is the highest I've been on a bike and the highest I've ever camped. I expect it to be very cold indeed tonight; the last three mornings the ice on my tent has been worsening, and this morning my water bottles were completely frozen. Fortunately I'd taken the precaution of pouring enough water for coffee into one of my pans, then melting the ice on the stove.

The nights are clear, so the temperature just falls away. If you can bear the cold, the nights are also spectrally beautiful, as there's a huge moon which makes the landscape glow. Mount Hasan has dominated the horizon for these two days; last night I camped with a perfect view of it, and when I rose in the night to go for a pee, the moonlight reflected off its snowy slopes.

Since this is nearly a desert climate, the days are still fairly mild. It was up to 9 degrees today, short sleeve weather. It's amusing to be riding with only a couple of layers on and see the locals wearing full winter thermals. I'm saving my thick clothes for the real stuff towards Erzurum.

As well as being spectacular, this is a very jnteresting region; the Peristrema Valley along which I rode today is lined with ancient cave dwellings where early Christians hid from persecution. It's also something to do with Star Wars. I passed one place which advertised itself as the Star Wars place and invited passers-by to seethe panorama. There was also a photo of Harrison Ford, but I don't think he was there, and I didn't recognise the scene (my knowledge of the movies is fairly limited, though).

Tomorrow, more of the same, I hope, as these last couple of days have been wonderful. I suspect this would be incredibly hot and crowded in summer, but right now it's fabulous. And hopefully I'll get a cheap hostel in Göleme for a couple of nights, to do some laundry and have a shower and warm up.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #259 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:51:49 pm »
As well as being spectacular, this is a very jnteresting region; the Peristrema Valley along which I rode today is lined with ancient cave dwellings where early Christians hid from persecution. It's also something to do with Star Wars. I passed one place which advertised itself as the Star Wars place and invited passers-by to seethe panorama. There was also a photo of Harrison Ford, but I don't think he was there, and I didn't recognise the scene (my knowledge of the movies is fairly limited, though).
My knowledge isn't, though ;)
Most of the filming was done in Tunisia - parts of Cappadocia were scouted as possible locations for filming but the idea was pretty much killed by the Turkish government at the time due to regional instability (of the political, rather than geological, sense). These aren't the locations you're looking for ;)

There is a World Heritage Site in that neck of the woods though (possibly the "Valley Of The Sky")

LindaG

« Reply #260 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
The longer you are away, and the more distant the location, the more alien the landscapes you describe.  This is a fascinating journey you are unfolding for us Dean.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #261 on: 08 November, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »
The longer you are away, and the more distant the location, the more alien the landscapes you describe.  This is a fascinating journey you are unfolding for us Dean.
And for some reason, I'm now thinking longingly of kebabs  :P

« Reply #262 on: 08 November, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »
Göleme is the world heritage site. The whole area does have a sci fi movie vibe about it. It'll have been used in some movie and likely one better than Star Wars. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #263 on: 08 November, 2011, 05:20:31 pm »
Deano, two questions ...

1.  How did you manage to post your last post when you're half way up a mountain?

2.  Have you done the warmshowers thing yet (not in a stable)?

I am loving your accounts, notifications of them pop into my inbox without notice and they are smashing, unexpected treats.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #264 on: 08 November, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »
He failed to resist the lure of technology in Istanbul, and got an iphone, I do believe. 

« Reply #265 on: 08 November, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
Deano, two questions ...

1.  How did you manage to post your last post when you're half way up a mountain?

2.  Have you done the warmshowers thing yet (not in a stable)?

I am loving your accounts, notifications of them pop into my inbox without notice and they are smashing, unexpected treats.

Thanks, OD. I enjoy updating everyone too. I keep a journal anyway so it's only a slightly different version of that.

As Kat says, I bought a second hand iPhone and a Turkish sim in Istanbul, so I'm online! It's been reet useful for navigating towns and cities and as it gets dark at five o'clock round here it's a bit of amusement in the tent. Coverage is excellent with Turkcell, I also have a 3G Vodafone sim to experiment with that I found at the side of the road.

Warmshowers: I stayed with a guy in Bolu and I've another couple of hosts lined up. I could look into couchsurfing too, but I am enjoying the camping at the mo'. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #266 on: 08 November, 2011, 06:10:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #267 on: 09 November, 2011, 02:12:18 pm »
Well it's dark here too at 5pm Deano, and we ain't got no mountains/fairy towers/silk routes.  And if we do have spectacklier skies they're hidden behind low-lying cloud floodlit in orange.

So there you go.   :D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #268 on: 09 November, 2011, 04:05:32 pm »
Göleme is the world heritage site. The whole area does have a sci fi movie vibe about it. It'll have been used in some movie and likely one better than Star Wars.
I hope you realise that that's fighting talk ;D

« Reply #269 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:50:26 pm »
Another bad earthquake in eastern Turkey.  Talk to us Dean. :-\

« Reply #270 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »
I just heard and rushed through to ask the same question.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #271 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »
If he's hostelling in Goreme tonight, Van looks a little way away on the map.  We'll just have to wait.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #272 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
I'm online! It's been reet useful for a bit of amusement in the tent.

This is a great thread, I'm very jealous of you. Glad you're keeping yourself occupied camping.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #273 on: 10 November, 2011, 06:50:07 am »
Aye, as LG says I'm about 600 miles from Van. I was going to visit Van, but tourists are probably the last thing they need at the moment.

I'm at a b&b in Göreme - just finishing off breakfast then I'm gonna hit the national park. Another bright sunny day. Having a bed indoors last night was a pleasant change.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #274 on: 10 November, 2011, 08:12:33 am »
Aye, as LG says I'm about 600 miles from Van. I was going to visit Van, but tourists are probably the last thing they need at the moment.

I'm at a b&b in Göreme - just finishing off breakfast then I'm gonna hit the national park. Another bright sunny day. Having a bed indoors last night was a pleasant change.

Phew, Mrs T just told me (she had switched on the news) and I had 3 missed calls on my mobile from our Belgian correspondent, so was WORRYING....

I will stop worrying now then, shall I?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State