Author Topic: More TdF - Sherwinisms  (Read 15878 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: More TdF - Sherwinisms
« Reply #25 on: 06 July, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »
OK, I do have a commentator rant. I think it's the other bloke who does this most, but I've heard it in other coverage (the BBC bloke does it on the worlds/olympic coverage):

Saxobank are down!

No, you mean:
One Saxobank rider is down, I'm not sure who it is

Or:
Saxobank are on the front!

No, you mean:
One Saxobank rider is on the front, I'm not sure who it is
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 06 July, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »
You don't have to take it literally Matt. Unless of course you are an AUdaxer....
 ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 06 July, 2010, 08:16:42 pm »
If only the technology existed for a Sherwen Suppressor feature on the TV sound ..... and perhaps to help Phil with his French, as in  "Myo Jorne"  :hand:

Rob

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 06 July, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »
I like him and the commentary team.

I especially like Chris Boardman's cameos on the bike (because now I can tell people I have a physique like the great cyclist Chris Boardman..after he ate all the pies of course)

« Reply #29 on: 06 July, 2010, 10:09:19 pm »
I had a text from Salvatore this lunchtime to say that he and Chris Boardman had just 'exchanged greetings'. 

« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:03:39 am »
Oh yes, Sherwin.  I did find myself shouting at him yesterday when Chavanel was having his travails and Sherwin was calculating if the time difference was going to be enough for Geraint Thomas to take yellow.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:21:26 am »
You don't have to take it literally Matt.
As your comments is usually very accurate, I shall assume that this one are, too.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:55:33 am »
Nuncio - that puzzled me too. And he said it enough times that I was beginning to think there must be some strange rule I didn't know of whereby he could overtake Cancellara in GC despite being in the same group as him. Glad it was just a Sherwinism rather than me going mental.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 07 July, 2010, 08:59:23 am »
Bloody annoying from my armchair. I can sympathise with them losing track of the various groups on the pave - but all he was doing was scanning down the GC times, carefully printed out that morning and placed in the centre of his commentary desk. How could he overlook Spartacus?!?

Grrr!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:04:10 am »
"Cobblestones".  Every.  Single.  Time1.  Is there something wrong with the word "cobbles", Mr Sherwen, or do are you just in love with the sound of your own voice.

1 - Phil did say "pavé" on one occasion but even so.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:05:32 am »
And a lot of the time, it's not cobbles anyway, it's setts >:(
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #36 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:07:11 am »
I think we are in danger of getting a bit too obsesive about Mr Sherwin here . ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:07:58 am »
No, no, I'm just obsessive about cobbles ;D
Getting there...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #38 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:22:11 am »
Oh yes, Sherwin.  I did find myself shouting at him yesterday when Chavanel was having his travails and Sherwin was calculating if the time difference was going to be enough for Geraint Thomas to take yellow.

IIRC they both said on a couple of occasions that Thomas was the closest to Chavanal on GC and could be in yellow 'tonight' - They were both wetting themselves with the excitement of the stage and completely overlooked Cancellara

Si

« Reply #39 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:24:07 am »
Does the ITV4 commentary team have an additional TV feed in their booth, or is the commentary running behind or in front of the pics?  A couple of times yesterday I'm sure they were describing an event that wasn't taking place on the screen.  For instance, at one point I'm sure they said something like "here we see Armstrong talking to <someone>" when the pictures on TV were of a totally different group.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:25:39 am »
Yes, I noticed that too, Bodger.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:27:13 am »
It used to be that the Brit commentators got the mixed French TV feed, but I guess they have a few camera feeds now, and their own editor.  There's bound ot be some confusion during a long unrehearsed broadcast.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:06:18 am »
Of course, all Sherwinisms can be forgiven. After all, the alternative could be...

<gulp>

Sean Kelly.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #43 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:12:28 am »
He was babbling about the physiognomy of the race yesterday  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:20:58 am »
...at one point I'm sure they said something like "here we see Armstrong talking to <someone>" when the pictures on TV were of a totally different group.

They probably still claimed it was Armstrong, they seem to think anyone wearing red is him.  Even the slightest hint of red and Liggett screams:

"And there's Lance Armstrong!"...err no it's a woman walking along wearing a red coat.

"And there's Lance Armstrong!"...err no but you're getting closer it's another rider wearing red.

"And there's Lance Armstong!"...err, actually it is Lance Armstrong - good guess.  AND?  Oh yes, he's fecking wonderful  ::-)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #45 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:30:07 am »
What are Ligget and Sherwin going to do for sunshine when Armstrong retires?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:31:16 am »
They have to sell the sport, so they hang that on a name lots of people know.  It's brand Armstrong.
Getting there...

« Reply #47 on: 07 July, 2010, 03:30:56 pm »
Was only half listening so I don't know which of the two said it but I've just heard the phrase "... it's the type of kilometres that has hurt them"

???

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #48 on: 07 July, 2010, 03:43:22 pm »
I think it was yesterday, one of them opined that the riders in the break might be worried about the headwinds, and the crosswinds AND the sidewinds.  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #49 on: 07 July, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »
Another one:

Paul: "Have you seen the size of my plums Phil?"

Phil: "Eh!!?"

Paul: "My plums. They're real beauties" (shows Phil a photo of his Victoria plum tree)

Phil: "Ha, ha, you nearly had me there!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex