Author Topic: Cavendish - How legendary will he be?  (Read 14699 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Cavendish - How legendary will he be?
« Reply #75 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:04:11 pm »
You never know, the cyclists' lobby might be bigger than the golfists'.

I think the term Sports Personality was coined back in the day when "personality" was used to mean "celebrity".  The sports person isn't required to have any particular outgoing personality, really.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

Don't know about that, but fingers crossed the golfing vote might be split, especially since there are two Nornirish candidates.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #77 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »
The sports person isn't required to have any particular outgoing personality, really.

As demonstrated when a snooker table narrowly lost to Nigel Mansell in 1992 ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #78 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »
a couple of lovable Irish rogues with golf bats have each won a competition that only requires them to perform for four days over the same course

You call that "performing"?
The journey is always more important than the destination

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #79 on: 25 July, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
I am struggling to think of a sport that requires so much effort on the part of the participant.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #80 on: 25 July, 2011, 04:04:05 pm »
I am struggling to think of a sport that requires so much effort on the part of the participant.

I don't think there is one - perhaps until venturing into whacky extreme alternative stuff.  Quadruple Iron Man?

But the amount of total physical effort need not have anything to do with Sports Personality of the Year.  Give it to a dartist.  :demon:

Tom

« Reply #81 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
The course profile is nothing to worry about - British Cycling have had this one pencilled-in for Cav since it was announced. The big worry will be whether GB have a big enough team to control the race because if everyone knows it's a course that suits Cav, every other team will not want a "bunchy" at the end.

Sounds promising. And he seems pretty focussed on it judging by his post-race interview yesterday... GB get six places, don't they? If they can control the race, Wiggo and Thomas should make pretty good leadout men. Who else are they likely to take? Kennaugh, Swift & Downing?

d.

If GB are ranked in the UCI top ten they get 10 places. The rankings will be updated soon but as of June they were 9th.

Wiggins and either Millar or Dowsett will also be riding the TT. Not sure if Dowsett still qualifies for the U23 event.

Cav, Thomas, Stannard, Swift, Downing, Millar, Wiggins, and Hunt for sure.  Then there's Blythe from Omega Pharma - a sprinter who could form part of the lead-out, Hammond and Lloyd from Garmin-Cervelo - very experienced guys who can ride all day. Maybe Kennaugh too but not sure he's got the power for a flatt-ish course. They'll need big powerful riders to stop breakaways getting too far ahead while keeping the likes of Wiggins and Thomas for the big lead-out at the end.

They all had a two day get-together before the British Nationals to "bond" and plan for the race. They don't want anyone else "doing a Wegelius".

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. I'm pretty sure that, as well as needing to finish in the top 10, it also depends on how many individual riders from any given country have scored points in World Tour races, and I have a feeling GB will need something like 9 riders to score in order to qualify a full team of 9 riders.  From memory, Thomas, Wiggins, Cav, Swift & Millar have all scored WT points, but can't think of anyone else.  Looks like Messrs Blythe, Stannard, Hammond & Co will need to pull their collective fingers out...

« Reply #83 on: 26 July, 2011, 01:07:54 am »
Some of those comments on that article are depressingly retarded, little wonder it's a minority sport over here...

« Reply #84 on: 26 July, 2011, 09:08:19 am »
Watching his quick chat with Chris Boardman after the Champs-Elysées win - in the background you see young fans absolutely beaming.  One ( with the yellow lanyard around his neck ) actually reaches out to touch Cav - in awe.  That was nice to see - the joy he can bring others from what he does and enjoys doing, again and again.

« Reply #85 on: 26 July, 2011, 09:18:43 am »
Some of those comments on that article are depressingly retarded, little wonder it's a minority sport over here...

At least they're arguing about sport (even though half of them haven't a clue) rather than posting anti-cyclist rants.
The journey is always more important than the destination

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #86 on: 26 July, 2011, 11:04:06 am »

I don't think there is one - perhaps until venturing into whacky extreme alternative stuff.  Quadruple Iron Man?

But the amount of total physical effort need not have anything to do with Sports Personality of the Year.  Give it to a dartist.  :demon:
There is ALWAYS someone nuttier out there:
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35410
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #87 on: 26 July, 2011, 11:32:59 am »
There's a lot of comparing apples with oranges in the comments on that BBC blog, but it got me thinking. If you want to put it in terms that the average British lay punter could understand, then team HTC are Barcelona and Cav is Lionel Messi.

I've definitely noticed a shift in the popularity and general awareness of pro road cycling this year - even my mum has been watching coverage of the Tour and getting excited about it. Maybe there is a chance that Cav could win SPOTY.

d.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #88 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »
Thomas, Millar, Swift, Wiggins - what more support do you need - Wiggins to get in the break away.  Millar to put the hammer down when needed. Swift to look after his man, and Thomas to lead out.  Especially as the Italians have decided that it suits a rouleur rather than a sprinter.

Cav will need to win the World's to have a chance on SPOTY, especially how well (my original sporting love) the England Cricket Team are going at the moment.

But - if you can cast your mind back 5 years - and remember watching sprints out of academic rather than patriotic interest.....?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #89 on: 12 August, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

Don't know about that, but fingers crossed the golfing vote might be split, especially since there are two Nornirish candidates.

d.

I can remember a cyclist winning SPOTY. ::-)

citoyen

« Reply #90 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »
I suspect Engerland's exploits in the Crikkit have put paid to any slim hopes Cav had of repeating that feat.

d.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #91 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »
Funny mirror, or exceptionally small body in relation to 'ead?

http://yfrog.com/nzc5avj