Author Topic: Coverage of Giro d'Italia 2013  (Read 15439 times)

Re: Coverage of Giro d'Italia 2013
« Reply #50 on: 10 May, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
Kelly reveals that his max downhill speed was 124km/h down the Col de Joux Plane.

I've just done the calculation and that's 77mph  :o
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #51 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:32:35 pm »
Kelly reveals that his max downhill speed was 124km/h down the Col de Joux Plane.

You don't "do" the calculation. You "make" the calculation.

(IGMC)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #52 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »

You don't "do" the calculation. You "make" the calculation.

(IGMC)

mais sûrement en français, faire et faire sont les mêmes?

« Reply #53 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »
Bien sur! Tu as raison Vorsprung.

Everytime I hear the name Adam Hansen I can't help picturing a Glaswegian football pundit with a mid-life crisis giving pro cycling a bash. It's probably just me.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Toady

« Reply #54 on: 10 May, 2013, 07:50:19 pm »
Watching a recording ... they are answering a question from "Hugh Rinal" at the moment.   

Come on, own up.

« Reply #55 on: 11 May, 2013, 08:29:39 am »
Nice to see Uran Uran have a clipless moment yesterday  :facepalm:

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #56 on: 11 May, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
I was surprised at how tentative Wiggo was in the rain yesterday. I know he's not keen, but he's now got to pray that there's a drought in Italy for the rest of the Giro if that's how confident his descending in the wet is. He did look spooked even before the slide when he motioned at the moto camera and drifted to the back of the bunch. His handling was in marked contrast to Evans and Hesjedal who just ploughed on at the front.
I wouldn't have laughed at Nibali sliding on his arse if I'd known Wiggo was going to descend like an arthritic ant carrying heavy shopping....
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #57 on: 11 May, 2013, 01:55:57 pm »
It's good to see Alex Dowsett on the top of the leader board.  How long can he stay there?

« Reply #58 on: 11 May, 2013, 01:58:52 pm »
All day I hope! He's certainly come a long way since I used to see him hammering it to school on his bike as I walked to the station in the morning...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #59 on: 11 May, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »
He's survived the Wiggo attack!   I hereby invite Bradley to join me in the club of people who've been beaten by Alex Dowsett in a time trial  ;D

« Reply #60 on: 11 May, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »
I'm as nervous as Alex looks! Come on!! Hold on!

« Reply #61 on: 11 May, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
Woooooo!!  :)

rr

« Reply #62 on: 11 May, 2013, 04:21:37 pm »
Small honour compared to being KOM on the Official YACF TNH Strava segment though.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #63 on: 11 May, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »
Yay, well done Alex!

Nibali in Pink and Dowsett winning the stage should be good for my fantasy team too  8)

« Reply #64 on: 11 May, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »
Great day for Dowsett.

Bad for Wiggins as he only took 11s out of Nibali and there are the big hills to come.  All Nibali has to do is sit on his wheel, or even attack, which he is perfectly capable of doing.

« Reply #65 on: 11 May, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
What with Wiggins being over a minute down, it's certainly going to make things a bit more interesting rather than having to watch him try (with or without success) to defend.

He's pissing me off a bit to TBH. That was one bike chuck too many. It's unsavoury and disrespectful to the mechanics who will now have to check over the bike to make sure it's not damaged, the manufacturers who give him the bikes in the first place and the fans who can only ever dream of being able to afford a bike as bling as that. Twat.

« Reply #66 on: 11 May, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »
Haven't seen the TT, did he bike-chuck?

I dunno, I think the bikechuck is just symptomatic of the enormous pressure that guys like him are under. I think if equipment doesn't work it is an understandable reaction. There have been rumours of some seriously crap kit being given out this year, but riders won't say which bits for fear of losing sponsors......and yet this is the very same kit at you and I might spend precious savings on in the belief that if the pros use it it must work. The bike park incident a few weeks ago was due to non-functioning electronic group set. I think Wiggins reaction was a valuable bit of consumer feedback.

It reminds me of the last but one iteration of Dura Ace. The 7900. Bloody expensive, and a pile of cack compared to the amazing 7800 (of which I am a user). It was the pro users who outed 7900's shortcomings.

« Reply #67 on: 11 May, 2013, 05:52:29 pm »

Yeah. He got a rear flat, so he got off his bike and threw it to the side of the road.

But anyway, I don't really care, it just makes him look arrogant...

« Reply #68 on: 11 May, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »
Hmmm... bike chuck for a puncture.....that's panic

« Reply #69 on: 11 May, 2013, 07:15:58 pm »

Yeah. He got a rear flat, so he got off his bike and threw it to the side of the road.

I'm with you. It looked unnecessary even when he chucked his bike into the cliff face a few weeks ago on that climb in the Volta a Catalunya Trentino, but today's behaviour was dismissive at least, verging on rattles and prams. Mind you, he wasn't 'alf shifting when he did get going.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #70 on: 11 May, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »
I think Wiggins is ill. Obviously noone will say anything and you can perform at near full potential when suffering a bit under the weather. But the thing that really hits me when I am a bit poorly is confidence. I can imagine that going to pot on the descent.

Of course it could all be a big ploy to get the other favourites to attack each other (which they have to do now). Evans has to attack. Hesjedal has to attack.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #71 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »

The gesture was undermined the first time by his recalcitrant bike deciding it was going to park itself gently against the wall, and this time by his remembering that he needed the bottle which was still on the bike he'd just thrown away.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #72 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:32:25 pm »
Of course he had to throw it away and get another bike because the mechanics can't change a wheel in a reasonable time any more. Some of the criticism aimed at the UCI for their attitude towards bike design has been too harsh if you ask me, but insisting on lawyer lips IS JUST STUPID.

After all that hype about Pinarello's new better than sliced-Graal TT frame last week, Wiggins prefers to pick up an old one rather than have a wheel change... oh dear!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #73 on: 12 May, 2013, 12:18:42 am »
A new bike will be as close to guaranteed working in as quick a time as possible. Refitting a wheel can itself cause issues (and isn't always easy on a TT bike.)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #74 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:35:08 am »
Why is the spare a totally different bike? Can't Sky afford a second Bolide?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."