Author Topic: N+1 in progress  (Read 24216 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
N+1 in progress
« on: 23 July, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »
this thread will be dedicated to my (yet another) n+1. i'd like to call this a project, but there's not much of a project really - just to get the parts and put them all together. there was an itch for a lightweight single speed (or fixed) bike that is comfy to ride for long distances. not much of a choice in the market for suitable frames with horizontal dropouts or track ends. so i was happy to come across this frameset which suited my requirements perfectly. i won't be disclosing the make just yet, but it is a limited edition frameset, hand-made (hand-glued) in italy and acquired new directly from the manufacturer. unique features of the frame - removable cable stops for clean looks when used as single speed and swappable dropouts (track 120mm or road 130mm). big down-tube near the bb for increased stiffness tapering off towards head tube. matt 3k finish and neat hand finished touches (on cable stops, sides of bb shell, head tube edges etc.). few pics now, more will be added later as the frameset turns into a bike (which might not happen very soon!!).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: N+1 in progress
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:29:42 am »
Is it carbon throughout? 
I was also thinking about getting a very light weight frame for PBP (and a faster time).  Last time (which was my first) I got in at 88.39.  Granted, we wasted loads of time in controls queing for seconds, the toilets etc and we stopped off at cafes to enjoy the view, eat ice cream and talk to fellow riders. 

I hardly used any of the kit I took: bivi bag, lightweight waterprrof AND winter, spare socks, mum etc etc.  This time I thought I'd go minimal (like an Italian) and aim for a much faster time with a much lighter bike than my trusty Steamroller

Are you planning on a pre release date for the manufacturer of you very swish looking frame set?  It looks great

J

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
That's going to be even more expensive than my overkill fixed (now single)!  :o

Looking forward to hearing more about it's progress  :thumbsup:
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
That looks absolutely superb. Hang it on your wall and gaze at it. In fact, bring it round to mine and I'll hang it up.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:54:22 pm »
thanks guys. the frameset is very nice but it's not going on the wall! the promise was made it will be put to a good use on the roads. today i checked clearances on the frame and forks and it will happily take 25c tyres with crudracer 'guards, if i wanted to use them (23c tyre in the photos).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »
I've got the same sofa as you

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
How's progress?
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2012, 05:31:57 pm »
still musing over (possible) components.. i could transfer all the parts from my current ss bike today and test ride it, but i want to make this bike a bit more special, so trying to work out what options are out there. it may appear that in a current day and age we are spoilt for choice, but when you need something particular - you can't find it. e.g. lightweight ss/fixed wheels: if there was a wheelset similar to ksyrium sl's, weighing ~1.4kg it would be a no-brainer. it's possible to have light handbuilt wheels with carbon rims, but i'm not satisfied with the braking performance in wet. alloy rims are better in this respect, but with a weight penalty. mavic ellipse seems like a good option, but there is not enough thread for a freewheel. so yes, still researching what is possible, durable and reasonable. different rims/hubs/spokes for front and rear?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »
Hmm.  Getting the wheels right on this beauty is important.
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »

since i learnt was told how to sit on a bike, i find most racing saddles are comfy enough. eg fizik aliante was fine on bcm600 couple of months ago, whereas before it used to give me major discomfort after about 100k. i'll test this lightweight saddle tomorrow (on 200k) and decide whether i'm keeping it or not.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »
i'll test this lightweight saddle tomorrow (on 200k) and decide whether i'm keeping it or not.

did 199km yesterday (ohhh, why not 200?..) and the saddle is fine. i reckon it would be good for up to 300k. not many races (what the saddle is designed for) are much longer than 200k anyway.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:31:44 pm »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:18:29 am »
after a bit of research decided on hubs. i was after lightweight, flip-flop hubs that don't require 15mm spanner - not much choice there!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »
Goldtec, but they are quite a bit more expensive and possibly heavier.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »
thanks Rhys, goldtec seemed an obvious choice, but the basic ones are a lot heavier and look "chunky", while ceramic hubs look better and should be lighter as well (even if i couldn't find their weight). anyways, tensile hubs appear to be well made, nicely finished and with smooth 6000rs bearings - should be alright.
now: open pro or rr415 ::-) ;D

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
back to research and shopping. i was looking for brake levers and it was either sram or campag; went for campag records in the end. now need to decide on the handlebars - alloy/carbon/which make and shape..

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2012, 09:19:26 pm »
a pair of brake calipers turned up today. i'm using the same type of calipers on my audax bike and really rate them - good stopping power, modulation and not a lot of weight.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »
..and also - a fairly large box from taiwan (with almost three sheets of stamps attached ::-)):

now reading a book about wheel building

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #18 on: 11 December, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »
You know, you really are a tease !!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
N+1 in progress
« Reply #19 on: 11 December, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »
there are four rims in the box - two for standard single speed wheels, one for a possible dynohub wheel (if i decide i need it) and one spare. next job is to make a wheel jig, then wheels, and then assemble the bike.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 11 December, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
Strong winds predicted this weekend.  You may want to secure your N+1 to something heavy to prevent it from blowing away.

« Reply #21 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:42:16 am »
Looking promising. What chainset are you going to use?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 12 December, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
chainset will be shimano alfine 45t. i've struggled to find anything better, that is 130bcd, has 42mm chainline, 3/32" ring, black colour and modern looking.

« Reply #23 on: 28 December, 2012, 12:20:04 am »
a pair of brake calipers turned up today. i'm using the same type of calipers on my audax bike and really rate them - good stopping power, modulation and not a lot of weight.

I like them, are they both dual pivot?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 28 December, 2012, 12:09:06 pm »
I like them, are they both dual pivot?

yes, one pivot is on a red linkage, another on the main bolt. these calipers work great with campag and previous shimano levers, however current shimano "super slr" levers pull more cable - you get lower leverage, less modulation and stopping power. something to bear in mind.