Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166462 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13450 on: 24 December, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »
Disposable lithium batteries have a shelf life of at least a decade and an extended run time. For emergency/ occasional lights, the extra cost is worth it.

Agreed, though decent alkalines aren't bad.  The trick is to make sure the torch is of a design with a physical switch that draws zero current when off.  Momentary switches that toggle between low/high/flashing modes suggest that there's a microcontroller drawing some standby current at all times (which if done properly will be less than the self-discharge of most rechargeable batteries, but may not be done properly).

The alternative approach is to try to make sure you use your torches regularly.  For example we have a lantern that gets used for car-camping a few times a year, which instead of living in the camping box, lives on a shelf in the living room within easy reach for whenever someone wants a light to look for dropped small objects or whatever.  It gets used often enough that the batteries stay charged.

Our alerting system is UPS-fed and will illuminate the front-panel LEDs at full white if it sees you moving in a dark room[1], which gives enough light to avoid tripping over while you find a torch.  But I also have a couple of those little keyring LED torches in strategic places.

[1] Unless it's bedtime, when it just illuminates the route to the loo in full red.

« Reply #13451 on: 24 December, 2018, 01:39:08 pm »
All of my strategic torches get used fairly regularly as they're often the quickest way of retrieving the pingfuckit which has just launched itself under the table / desk.
The exception to this is the (converted to LED) 2 x AA Maglite in the bedroom.
I have the biggest torch Maglite manufactured, a 5 (or was it 6?) D cells - unfortunately it is so old that they don't do an LED conversion for it - so its role remains as cosh for when the zombie apocalypse happens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13452 on: 24 December, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »
I have the biggest torch Maglite manufactured, a 5 (or was it 6?) D cells - unfortunately it is so old that they don't do an LED conversion for it - so its role remains as cosh for when the zombie apocalypse happens.

IIRC it was 6.  Back in my PSO days - when Maglites were still the pinnacle of portable illumination technology - I had a friend who referred to hers as her "rape torch".  Not that she was the sort of person that you'd want to encounter in a dark alley anyway, tbh, but it's hard to argue with the deterrent value.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13453 on: 24 December, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
I carry one in my pocket. Aka a mobile phone :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13454 on: 24 December, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
Well, yes, so do I.  But this is the fettling thread, where make-do-and-mend is the guiding philosophy. Away with you and your spendthrift impulses.

(i repainted the inside of my microwave recently. Not so 'sparkly', but works just as new).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13455 on: 24 December, 2018, 07:04:56 pm »
A rum and raisin cheesecake, by command of my Sister Who Art in Kingston. It will be scoffed tomorrow. Contains rum. And raisins.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13456 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:15:32 pm »
All of my strategic torches get used fairly regularly as they're often the quickest way of retrieving the pingfuckit which has just launched itself under the table / desk.
Reflectalite is your friend.

http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13457 on: 25 December, 2018, 10:20:13 am »
Reflectalite is your friend.

http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html

Order placed with my new-found friend  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13458 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
Can you still get those D-cells? They must be the most effective part of the Maglite cosh. The Ever Ready Night Rider with a mere 2 of them was heavy enough (or were they C cells?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13459 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:21:13 pm »
Can you still get those D-cells? They must be the most effective part of the Maglite cosh. The Ever Ready Night Rider with a mere 2 of them was heavy enough (or were they C cells?)

Yes, I bought some for my 3-cell Maglite back in the summer.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13460 on: 26 December, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
Took my wheels with the tyres to Evans to borrow their beast from the East pump (which I'd ok'd with them on the phone beforehand).

Not only did they lend the pump the chap didn't only go and mount and seal them for me for no fee (I'd bought them from Evans click and collect and it looked like it was quiet today, I'd brought my own sealant etc).

So I did vicarious fettling and will be leaving the wheels to stew in their sealant guts for the next 2 days in readiness for the full fat festive 500. Fairy begone!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13461 on: 26 December, 2018, 01:23:02 pm »
The battery you can't get any more is the 3V twin-cell battery used in Ever Ready and other front bike lights up to the early 80s.  The twin cell to two D cell adaptors are quite sought after, although you can molish your own from plywood packing and phosphor-bronze strip.

« Reply #13462 on: 26 December, 2018, 01:28:17 pm »
The battery you can't get any more is the 3V twin-cell battery used in Ever Ready and other front bike lights up to the early 80s.  The twin cell to two D cell adaptors are quite sought after, although you can molish your own from plywood packing and phosphor-bronze strip.
Is that the cardboard-packed one, with one terminal on the top, and the other on the side, between the two cylinders?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13463 on: 26 December, 2018, 04:19:22 pm »
Is that the cardboard-packed one, with one terminal on the top, and the other on the side, between the two cylinders?
If it's what I think I remember, the terminals were a long flexy strip of copper (or maybe steel?) at about 45 degrees to the top and bottom of the cells, one each end. I don't recall having any for bike lights though.

And google confirms the Eveready Nightriders took D cells, not C.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13464 on: 26 December, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »

Easy mistake to make.  Whoever designed their mounting bracket also thought they took C.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13465 on: 26 December, 2018, 04:46:09 pm »
I don't remember the brackets being a weak point, actually. I do remember the front one being badly designed in that it was easy to think the light was secure when in fact it hadn't properly clicked into place. The 'catch' at the top (which only the front bracket had) was, ironically, too stiff. And that might lead to the light jumping out and splitting into its component parts at the bottom of Park St in Bristol in the rush hour. Imagine if this happened right outside not only a busy bus stop but one of (at the time) the best bike shops in the city. It couldn't possibly happen, could it? But I don't recall them being weak as such.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13466 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:01:30 pm »
I'd completely forgotten about that catch!  The problem I had was that the rear didn't clamp tightly enough, so that successive bumps would cause the light to droop and eventually entangle with the spokes.

Mind you, the improvement in modern battery lights is almost entirely down to lighter batteries, rather than better brackets.

« Reply #13467 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:07:34 pm »

Easy mistake to make.  Whoever designed their mounting bracket also thought they took C.

I worked for the design consultancy which churned out the last incarnation of the Never Ready lights (They also did the Duracell branded torches - of which I think I still have a couple of examples knocking about).
They were (crap and) of their time given the then available tech.
These days the torch on my phone and the baby Fenix I have on my keyring (the latter in particular) show how much progress / improvement  has been made with battery-powered / LED  lighting in the last 20 years.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13468 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »
I had one of those Duracell torches. I don't think the light output or battery life were particularly good even for the time but the fliptop design was interesting.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13469 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:31:34 pm »
I had one of those Duracell torches. I don't think the light output or battery life were particularly good even for the time but the fliptop design was interesting.

+1

« Reply #13470 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:37:46 pm »

+1
I was digging stuff out today (including an expired blue UK passport  ::-))
Having stuffed a couple of AAs into the Durabeam [sic]  torch, I can report disappointment - of the lumen variety.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13471 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »
That's the one.  All fork bracket fitting metal lamps used that battery and they haven't been made for years.  The later light grey plastic fork bracket fitting Night Rider, with the sliding switch and fresnel lens, uses 2 x D cells.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13472 on: 26 December, 2018, 06:41:20 pm »
I was digging stuff out today
Having stuffed a couple of AAs into the Durabeam [sic]  torch, I can report disappointment - of the lumen variety.

I did the same in some old torches, and then tried the LED replacement 'bulbs' instead of the old tungsten filament bulbs.  What a transformation!  Brilliant light now from old torches.

« Reply #13473 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:11:06 pm »
I came here to post about having to disassemble and repair (uncrumpling a crushed contact) on my grandson's toy Bosch drill, (part of a toy toolkit) Christmas present.  :smug:

The thread seems to have have turned into a battery/torch/retro bike-light, fan-nerd thread, though.  >:(

By the way, when a pedal fell off one of the trikes at his pre-school, my 3 year old grandson delared "My get my toolkit!", and apparently refitted the pedal with a plastic, toy spanner.  :D :D :D  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13474 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:15:11 pm »
Krampus
 :P