Author Topic: How long does it take to fill a bladder?  (Read 37405 times)

How long does it take to fill a bladder?
« on: 09 January, 2017, 08:57:53 pm »
In a bit of good news bad news stylee, while there is probably Nothing Wrong there is still the possibility, so I am going to have to have Some Tests. Including ultrasound scan and Bladder Emptying.

I have been asked to turn up with a Full Bladder. Well, I know when my bladder is full but I'm a bloke so it doesn't normally stay that way for long. How do you fill it up so that it is ready to empty? How do you judge the timing? Of course I could just go for it, but this is, after all,  one of those questions that was made for this place.

Don't take the pee.

On an aside, while arranging appointments and such with the (scottish) receptionist, and in response to her comment, I asked whether there was always a "wee wait" for the urologist, my receptionist answered that as a straight question whilst her colleague splorfed  ;D

Re: How long does it take to fill a bladder?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »
In my former life I was subject to no notice compulsory drug testing (CDT) and it was always the way that you had just been for a pee when you had the call to go and give a sample.  As soon as we got to hear folk were being called we started drinking water and hoping for the call. I would drink between 0.5 and 1 litre. Also, I used to do a lot of mountaineering where going outside for a pee was a no go due to the faff and cold. So a pee bottle was essential and 1 litre was the size to take. Newbies often went for the 500  or 600ml bottle and soon realised that 1 litre was the way to go. Not unusual for to pee 600ml in one go.

However, timing is difficult because even with a rather large intake of fluid, it was not always possible to get the pee time right.  Case for experimenting!

Internet question on Google "capacity of bladder" gives between 300-600ml.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:13:08 pm »
You can fill a bladder in an hour but you will fill it better if you take your time and don't drink too much, too fast as the bladder responds to tension, so the need to void is greater if filling is rapid, even if the volume is less.

You can time yourself between visits at home and work.

You can also judge when you've passed a lot or not very much.

Sonographers were impressed with how full I managed to get my bladder when I went for a scan a few years ago.

I held for hours on little drink and only started necking the water soon before my appointment.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »
It would make sense to factor in your journey time to the scanning place and the weather you can anticipate.
We all need to take a leak more frequently when it's cold outside but your bladder won't fill as well if you're cold.

If you can get to your scan before tour first morning pee, your bladder will be properly full but you'd need a very quick journey not to get caught short.

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »
Appointment is 13:00, and I've been banned from cycling for the week beforehand  ::-) (negotiated - it started at two weeks)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2017, 10:07:05 pm »
Good luck!
Have ONE morning leak. Drink normally, not excessively till an hour before your appointment, then hit the water bottle and hope appointments run to time.
Your bladder will fill better if your rectum is empty.

The test monitors how well your bladder fills and how completely it empties.
It will fill best if filled gently and empty best if it starts FULL.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2017, 06:43:04 pm »
We all need to take a leak more frequently when it's cold outside but your bladder won't fill as well if you're cold.

Why is this? I can't say I've noticed but then there are so many variables.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »

When you're cold the body removes fluid from the blood so you pee it out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »

When you're cold the body removes fluid from the blood so you pee it out.

Partly. Blood returns from the peripheries and the extra volume is passed in the urine but I think the bladder itself is also more sensitive.
At least mine is...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
Depends whether you have a pelvic, abdominal or thoracic bladder.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:13:54 pm »
Depends whether you have a pelvic, abdominal or thoracic bladder.  ;D

Can one choose where to keep it?  ;)
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »
It's less about where you decide to keep it and more about how full it is before you empty it...
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:38:44 pm »
Another thing with cold/hot weather: when the weather is warm you lose quite a bit of fluid as sweat.

I have an interesting once-a-week experience. I'm on alendronic acid for osteoporosis and I take a tablet weekly with half a pint of water. I have to do this first thing in the morning before food, and wait at least 30 minutes before I have any food. I always evacuate before getting dressed, so bowels and bladder are, hopefully, empty. However, an hour or so later, after the half-pint water, orange juice, porridge and a cup of tea, I am absolutely busting for a wee. For the rest of the week, I find that I can wait quite a bit longer after breakfast before needing to go. That extra alendronic acid half-pint is a bugger though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:51:47 pm »
If you are hungry and awake, you may be breaking down glycogen and needing to eliminate its associated water, so you have that half-pint of water plus the water freed up by the glycogen.
half a pint is a good half-bladder's worth.

Urine production is suppressed while you sleep by antidiuretic hormone waking reduces this.

« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »
Well, I managed it. The consultant was running over 15 minutes late.

half a pint is a good half-bladder's worth.

Sonographers were impressed with how full I managed to get my bladder when I went for a scan a few years ago.

.... likewise when I managed about 1ltr into the jug :o :o

Let's just say I was very happy the wait wasn't any longer.

Back on the bike tomorrow  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How the hell do people put up with public transport every  day?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »
Well done Ham!

The volume of residual urine in the bladder is an important result. Hope you didn't have much!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2017, 09:34:09 pm »
When I got my waterworks tested a few years back i managed to pee 1.4L! :o

« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:29:37 pm »
Well done Ham!

The volume of residual urine in the bladder is an important result. Hope you didn't have much!

Apparently too much (and tbh I knew that because there was another 300ml? 15 minutes later :( )

In a good news/bad news stylee, the PSA level is down to the high side of normal, but I'm due more tests and a prescription for tamsulosin that I am planning not to take (I did discuss this with the consultant).