Author Topic: Mileater - 2016 and beyond  (Read 14391 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Mileater - 2016 and beyond
« Reply #50 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:49:20 pm »
The way I use Strava sounds very much like what the Mileeater Diary is for.  But automated, sharable and with better analysis tools.

Like all web services, I don't trust Strava to exist next year.  It'll go bust, suffer a tragic data loss or get borged by $EvilCo.  So I have copies of the raw GPX files on my own sever.

There won't be any problem reading GPX files in 15 years.  Even if there isn't any software that does it, it's a clear human-readable format, and if necessary I could write my own.  The files themselves will be fine as long as they're kept on a running system rather than gathering dust on some media somewhere.

Even AUK ride records from before 2000 are not available on the current computer system, as they are on paper somewhere and it would be an impossibly enormous task to scan it all.

That's an argument *for* electronic records, not against it.   :P

« Reply #51 on: 23 December, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »
Even AUK ride records from before 2000 are not available on the current computer system, as they are on paper somewhere and it would be an impossibly enormous task to scan it all.

That's an argument *for* electronic records, not against it.   :P

It wasn't an argument for or against.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:11:03 pm »
I really enjoy poring over old paper records in my crippled dotage.

« Reply #53 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:19:44 pm »
Even AUK ride records from before 2000 are not available on the current computer system, as they are on paper somewhere and it would be an impossibly enormous task to scan it all.  Or at least I doubt anyone would volunteer to take it on.
I refer the honourable member to the Recorder's report to the Board Meeting of 29 January 2014  ;D
FF of this forum did exactly that for all the available records back to 1987.  A herculean task worthy of much applause.

« Reply #54 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:55:29 pm »
After a mileater paper diary got lost in the post between me and Father Christmas the then organiser I use Strava, save the tracks here at home then create a spreadsheet for 300,000 mile club both hard and soft copy.

Just depends on how important your miles are as to the level of record keeping you go for.

I do like Strava from the sharing point of view plus it makes the back of the Kit-Kat wrapper calcs easier. Lots going on right now as new end if year number keep appearing.

« Reply #55 on: 24 December, 2015, 05:03:23 am »
Could have sworn I'd already posted on this thread but clearly not!

In summary:

I like the analogue nature of the mileater but wish the format was better.

I already use strava only as a training/distance record. I could just submit the data but what's the point? Most of my time on the bike is off road and I don't ride junk miles for the sake of distance. The arbitrary 'distance' is no reflection of my time or effort on the bike.  But flicking back through a brief personal 'wow it was hard going in the mud, 2 crashes tonight' makes keeping the record worthwhile for me personally.

I have no interest in other people's actual distance but loads of interest in reading their accounts. I wish we got to hear more than the few snippets put in arrivee

I'd like a reformatted booklet and the opportunity for people to digitize them as blogs

Using strava or any other online data collection would be dull number crunching only.

Does not play well with others

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #56 on: 26 December, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »
What are the requirements to indulge in 2016, if it runs? I'm a lapsed out of practice AUKista and definitely ex CTC member - if that helps ;) I spreadsheet with notes and this year have used the YACF group thing on My Cycling Log, which has provided some pleasant added motivation. So Mileater sounds good :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 27 December, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
HK is still sorting out the transition with AUK and she'll post here as soon as that is finalised. Part of the problem is that she doesn't know where the legacy medals and Mileater books are or how many of them exist.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #58 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:11:37 am »
Do you still get the Mileater medal even if you're not the number one rider? I've only just started Audaxes and might only ride 4,000 or so miles a year.

« Reply #59 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:30:59 am »
PS I completely agree with the Strava comments. Most cyclists use it to log their rides these days - and it also tots up the miles over a calendar year, from Jan 1 to Dec 31, which would be ideal for this.

« Reply #60 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:37:36 am »
PPS If the current organiser is stepping down, who do we send our cheques to for 2016? Website states Rob Hidderley - is he the new chap or the one stepping down?

« Reply #61 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:18:56 pm »
Rob Hinderley is the guy stepping down.  Don't really understand what's happening for 2016 as can't get a sensible answer.

For 2015 diaries go to Rob Hinderley via snail mail as usual.

« Reply #62 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »

Do you still get the Mileater medal even if you're not the number one rider? I've only just started Audaxes and might only ride 4,000 or so miles a year.

Annual Mileater medals are still available at £10 each.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #63 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:48:23 pm »
HK -- I have never entered before -- but as a gesture of support for your efforts -- count me in this time . I will be in Oz soon - and will keep Strava updated -- not much good at comment and photos but might try to do better. let me know sometime - who to send money to -- and how much. Rog
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #64 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:16:20 pm »
I've really enjoyed filling in my diary this - my first - audax year. Other than Workplace Challenge - https://www.workplacechallenge.org.uk/ (which allows many different sports activities to be logged, but not automatically tracked), I don't use any electronic recording or tracking devices like strava, so having the paper book has been really useful. I also agree that being able to write additional notes and random thoughts in the diary makes it much more memorable than just recording mileage. If an electronic version of the diary existed I might consider using it. But in a world where everything seems to be online and/or in electronic format it's really nice to use older technology and also to have a physical record to flick through in years to come - by which time I doubt the electronic records will still be around - and even if they are, I doubt a senile, dribbling, older self will be able to access them!

« Reply #65 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
PPS If the current organiser is stepping down, who do we send our cheques to for 2016? Website states Rob Hidderley - is he the new chap or the one stepping down?

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=988.msg8868;topicseen#msg8868

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:45:32 pm »
Which is saying that Rob is taking submissions for 2016. So when will the handover actually take place? Before 2017?

« Reply #67 on: 31 December, 2015, 03:43:37 pm »
I have enjoyed my Mileater diary (first full year doing Audax). I have had a cycling/other activities diary for a couple of years and this has worked well for me. I shy away from too much technology and enjoy the writing/pondering after a ride. It is also handy to look back over for nostalgia and inspiration. I know I am a long way from achieving high mileage, but it has increased on last year. I will understand if it doesn't continue - I will continue to keep a paper cycling diary!

« Reply #68 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »
It's good to hear that people want to embrace all the forms of mile recording.  Plus it's really positive that riders view mile recording as a personal journey not a competitive one.

The Mileater has just celebrated it 25th year since Mick set it up. Looks like it has a future.

« Reply #69 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:08:38 pm »
Sounds like a fun thing to do - I'd prefer strava, but may well sign up for 2016 (not too late?) - I like the idea of a medal, I hope 2016 brings a reasonable distance (for me at least!) :)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #70 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:15:38 am »
Y'know, I'm tempted, just for the fun of it.  It's a shame my mileage is so pitiful compared to so many  :facepalm:  but my record keeping isn't bad  :thumbsup:

It has to be for personal gratification — I'm not winning any awards.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #71 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:17:35 am »
Any news on who we have to send our tenner to for this year yet?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #72 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:22:08 am »
I understand that it remains the incumbent, as listed on the webpage.

« Reply #73 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:27:36 am »
I understand that it remains the incumbent, as listed on the webpage.

Fab, thank you!

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #74 on: 15 January, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »
Just got my 2016 diary from Rob Hidderley with no hint of any changes as yet.
Thanks Rob :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023